Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l60e converter problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4l60e converter problems

I posted awhile back on this issue. I have done everything I can think to do minus pulling the trans.
Problem: performabuilt lvl1 prostreet.
85,000 miles give or take. Decided to start kicking 1870 code.

I have changed fluid and filter. I have pulled the codes. The fluid was good and no material in the pan. Contacted performabuilt about the TCC. I was told that it is removed with the changes they make in the build. The converter will still lock out but won't stay engaged and keeps kicking 1870 code.

Should I replace the converter or replace the valve body?

Help me out fellas.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the quality of the 1-2 shift?
Old 12-12-2016, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

All of my shifts are still good. It is only lockup that's giving me problems. The converter disengages when there is a load like going up a slight grade after interstate driving. It's like the clutch is getting hot and breaking loose. As soon as it does it kicks a code.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the pan, when the lining goes on the converter it can plug the filter and contaminate everything. With an upgraded valve that they put in it bypasses the Pwm converter apply. That bore in the vb can still wear out. With 85k miles on it is possible. If the fluid is clean I would start at the solenoid then vb.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's slightly possible the band or 3-4 clutch is slipping. .. I believe it would still set a code for that 1870. The newer 60's with the input shaft speed sensor can measure input skip vs engine rpm more accurately. Does it stay slipping and rpm s rising or just like the converter unlocked?
Old 12-13-2016, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

There is no fluctuation in rpm in 4th gear. Everything else seems normal. Before it kicked the 1870 code the first time..... it would lock out hard enough that it was like I had a 5 speed instead of a 4 speed. Since then you can't feel it lock out. You can only tell by the change in exhaust pitch when it pulls the rpm down the extra 2-300 rpm. I have read about the valve body issue but wanted some more input before I went that route. Because I have a new filter and fluid I didn't want to drop the pan again unless I had too.