Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

3.42 to 4.10 swap w/ 500hp/570tq at the rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
The Gov Lock.... being the POS locker GM installs in the rear end from the factory.
Ah ok...The G80. I have had great luck on all my G80's. I seriously use mine every day for work on my 3/4 ton. Daily I have a rear tire at least a foot off the ground, a few rotations and it locks, I pull out of the situation with out engauging 4 wheel drive and continue about my business. Haven't had an issue on my 2005, 2008, 2011, 2015 3/4 tons I have had over the years. The 2014 1/2 ton only gets driven a few times a month, but never had a problem with it, even with all the bolt on power adders.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TVS/HC
Ah ok...The G80. I have had great luck on all my G80's. I seriously use mine every day for work on my 3/4 ton. Daily I have a rear tire at least a foot off the ground, a few rotations and it locks, I pull out of the situation with out engauging 4 wheel drive and continue about my business. Haven't had an issue on my 2005, 2008, 2011, 2015 3/4 tons I have had over the years. The 2014 1/2 ton only gets driven a few times a month, but never had a problem with it, even with all the bolt on power adders.
Dirt and mud no problem for a g80. Its the burn outs on asphalt it hates.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMC93
Dirt and mud no problem for a g80. Its the burn outs on asphalt it hates.
Yeah, I can see that. Well, if it goes "boom", it's a cheap fix, considering what I have in the build.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Yeah, I can see that. Well, if it goes "boom", it's a cheap fix, considering what I have in the build.
Not really when you have no other options but another G80.... hence why I say build a 9.5" and be done with it. G80's are junk..... I drive in actual crappy mucky places and my work truck is still my 05 because every new junker like that 15 I get is a fail. Detroit locker works a lot better than the Gov Lock ever could in any scenario lol.... hence why 2 out of the 3 trucks have Detroits in my signature ( the 15 doesn't count as it's just an obstacle I have for sale lol). Number 3 will get one soon after the blower goes on haha... and it sees nothing but pavement.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Not really when you have no other options but another G80.... hence why I say build a 9.5" and be done with it. G80's are junk..... I drive in actual crappy mucky places and my work truck is still my 05 because every new junker like that 15 I get is a fail. Detroit locker works a lot better than the Gov Lock ever could lol.
Sounds like you need a few driving lessons. If you beat your truck to ****, you end up with a piece of ****. Appreciate your opinion though.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you need a few driving lessons. If you beat your truck to ****, you end up with a piece of ****. Appreciate your opinion though.
Lol...... no..... new trucks are just pieces of ****..... beating not required...... great trucks for you pavement pilots. That joke of a 15 is like the rest of fleet I work around that gets muddy underneath and goes into limp mode..... plus lives at the dealer with the transmission on the floor of the shop because they keep changing parts and never fix it...... It's for sale because it's junk.... just like my one employees 2014 he bought earlier this year and is ready to set on fire for similar issues just common to the trucks in general. I entertain you to come and drive with me... pretty sure you will change your tune on how I drive...... And yes I must beat stuff to death.... hence my original front end in my 05 at 175000 miles is still tight... and the truck needs nothing.... but a new set of tires as these BF's wore out a lot faster than I hoped for.... just a horrible life lol. Try not and grenade the Gov Bomb is all I can say.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Lol...... no..... new trucks are just pieces of ****..... beating not required...... great trucks for you pavement queens. That joke of a 15 is like the rest of fleet I work around that gets muddy underneath and goes into limp mode..... plus lives at the dealer with the transmission on the floor of the shop because they keep changing parts and never fix it...... It's for sale because it's junk.... just like my one employees 14 he bought earlier this year and is ready to set on fire..... I entertain you to come and drive with me... pretty sure you will change your tune on how I drive...... And yes I must beat stuff to death.... hence my original front end in my 05 at 175000 miles is still tight... and the truck needs nothing.... but a new set of tires as these BF's wore out a lot faster than I hoped for.... just a horrible life lol. Try not and grenade the Gov Bomb is all I can say.
Will do, buddy. But like I said, if it goes, I'll pay for a new one. You pay to play.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not remotely your buddy.... What a waste of money lol.... haha. Be interesting to see how long it lasts.... mind you if you launch in 4wd you probably won't kill it.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol...... no..... new trucks are just pieces of ****..... beating not required...... great trucks for you pavement pilots. That joke of a 15 is like the rest of fleet I work around that gets muddy underneath and goes into limp mode..... plus lives at the dealer with the transmission on the floor of the shop because they keep changing parts and never fix it...... It's for sale because it's junk.... just like my one employees 2014 he bought earlier this year and is ready to set on fire for similar issues just common to the trucks in general. I entertain you to come and drive with me... pretty sure you will change your tune on how I drive...... And yes I must beat stuff to death.... hence my original front end in my 05 at 175000 miles is still tight... and the truck needs nothing.... but a new set of tires as these BF's wore out a lot faster than I hoped for.... just a horrible life lol. Try not and grenade the Gov Bomb is all I can say.
Sounds like you have some problems with your '15.

I can say I use the crap out of my '15. I lived on 25 acres and never once had a problem with traction and the issue you mentioned while I was hammered down pulling a 10k trailer around in some sloppy conditions.

Knock on wood the only problem Ive had was when they replaced my tq convertor. After that it has been great... not to mention the endless burnouts to get the tires to stick when racing.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z71crawford
Sounds like you have some problems with your '15.

I can say I use the crap out of my '15. I lived on 25 acres and never once had a problem with traction and the issue you mentioned while I was hammered down pulling a 10k trailer around in some sloppy conditions.

Knock on wood the only problem Ive had was when they replaced my tq convertor. After that it has been great... not to mention the endless burnouts to get the tires to stick when racing.
Problems aren't isolated to my truck.. we have fleets of these heaps and they are all the same. Mine just had more problems than average because you have to factor in the 8 speed. It's a god send to get rid of this junk lol. I look at it like this... I work with at leaat 50 guys all driving these trucks. Now they may not want their work truck ( lots are just empty highway queens)but if they were a good truck they would buy one of their own potentially as a higher trim or whatever. After driving one for work almost noone I know would buy one lol... even the GM diehards lol. Good enough sample size for me.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 12-14-2016 at 06:50 PM.