Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Installed 2in shackle drop today. No issues at all.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 03:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed 2in shackle drop today. No issues at all.

Ok,1/2-ton 2wd, 06'ECSB. Factory GM 20in wheels, and torsion bar front end.

I installed DJM 2in shackle drop tonight. The entire ordeal took 45min, and that included trimming the rear bump stops.
I kept getting tons of feedback that I would need to shim at least 2* to keep my driveline from vibrating. However, I experienced NO vibration whatsoever. This was also checked with a Wilson Prop Shaft Sync system.(Its this fancy device we have at our maintence facility that attaches to the driveshaft of a vehicle and can detect any excess vibration) Also, no adjustment of the torsion bars was needed.

The truck sits just like I want it to now, it has about 3/4in of rake, which is exactly where I wanted it. Ill get some before and after pics up tomorrow.

Last edited by NO F-BDY BS; 12-01-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

hey im thinking about doing exact same thing to mine, and from the way you put it doesnt sound bad at all
Old 12-01-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad you're happy with the 2" shackles. They definitely helped the looks of my truck and I'm sure they did the same to yours. Post some pics!!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Import Moderator

no shimming is good. i just did a belltech bout 3 days ago, im happy wit it to, unfortuantely i wasnt as lucky as you and the last bolt (the one that goes through the eye of the spring and through the top of the shackle) took us like 2 hrs to get out so i spent about 3 hrs on mine haha, its ok it was worth it though
Old 12-02-2006, 12:00 AM
LS1Tech Whore

My buddy is installing a set right now on my truck. :woot: cant wait to see how it looks. Hes swapping the rear end while at it too tho.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Launching!

Wait till you go over some bumps at speed and the *** end hops all over the place... Kinda scary at first till you get used to it
Old 12-02-2006, 03:33 AM
LS1Tech Whore

Originally Posted by MrXerox
Wait till you go over some bumps at speed and the *** end hops all over the place... Kinda scary at first till you get used to it
well my truck was a stepside and the rear would hop all over the damn place (not that was scary) yesterday I swaped in a fleetside and it fells so much better (no more bouncyness). Today the shackles went on, so far on the way home, it felt even more better (pretty big holes and bumps in my area).

IMO it was worth it.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NO F-BDY BS
Ok,1/2-ton 2wd, 06'ECSB. Factory GM 20in wheels, and torsion bar front end.

I installed DJM 2in shackle drop tonight. The entire ordeal took 45min, and that included trimming the rear bump stops.
I kept getting tons of feedback that I would need to shim at least 2* to keep my driveline from vibrating. However, I experienced NO vibration whatsoever. This was also checked with a Wilson Prop Shaft Sync system.(Its this fancy device we have at our maintence facility that attaches to the driveshaft of a vehicle and can detect any excess vibration) Also, no adjustment of the torsion bars was needed.

The truck sits just like I want it to now, it has about 3/4in of rake, which is exactly where I wanted it. Ill get some before and after pics up tomorrow.
You lucky ***!
I now see that your truck didn't come from the factory already lowered.
Mine however was lowered in the back already with the use of a different spring rate/ arch.
When I lowered mine with 2" shackles out back, the driveline angles went to crap. I guess this is due to it already being lowered from the factory and the driveline angles already being close to maxed out before any vibrations would begin.
My truck came with only a 1-1/4" rake from the factory. If I just used shackles out back, the rear would have been lower than the front. So I did both 2" shackles and 2" lowering spindles. It didn't look like I was expecting, the 2" shackle drop didn't lower the rear a whole 2". So I actually gained a bit of rake after installing the 2" spindles up front.
Then I added the hangers for a 3" drop in the rear. Looks great. Has about a 1/2" rake. The shackles I have will allow another 1/2" drop out rear if I want to see what it's like to be totally leveled out.
For now, I'm fine with the look.
Glad your shackle drop went smoothly. Some are not as reluctant as you.
Good Job!

Jim
Old 12-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MrXerox
I have put about 300mi on it since the install. Honestly, I cannot tell any difference in the ride quality or the handling qualities. I have been all over all kinds of roads with no hopping at all, and I live in Louisiana, need I say more about the roads. Also, i pulled my trailer with our tractor on the back about 20mi, it weighs about 7000lbs with the trailer. I cannot say enough good about my experience with the 2in leveling shackles.

EDIT: I did have to cut about 1in off the bump stops.

Last edited by NO F-BDY BS; 12-04-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
You lucky ***!
I now see that your truck didn't come from the factory already lowered.
Mine however was lowered in the back already with the use of a different spring rate/ arch.
When I lowered mine with 2" shackles out back, the driveline angles went to crap. I guess this is due to it already being lowered from the factory and the driveline angles already being close to maxed out before any vibrations would begin.
My truck came with only a 1-1/4" rake from the factory. If I just used shackles out back, the rear would have been lower than the front. So I did both 2" shackles and 2" lowering spindles. It didn't look like I was expecting, the 2" shackle drop didn't lower the rear a whole 2". So I actually gained a bit of rake after installing the 2" spindles up front.
Then I added the hangers for a 3" drop in the rear. Looks great. Has about a 1/2" rake. The shackles I have will allow another 1/2" drop out rear if I want to see what it's like to be totally leveled out.
For now, I'm fine with the look.
Glad your shackle drop went smoothly. Some are not as reluctant as you.
Good Job!

Jim

My truck had about the same rake as yours did from the factory, not quite 1 1/2in difference from back to front. Also, after installing the rear shackle kit, it brough the front end down about 3/4in/ I now have about 1in of rake, dont ask how all that worked out. I need to get some pics up,dirty or not.

Quick Reply: Installed 2in shackle drop today. No issues at all.