Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help me decide on tires/wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me decide on tires/wheels!

I'm currently running american racing 16x8 aluminun rims and 315/75R16 all terrains. I have decided to get new rims and tires since the tires are worn, and the rims are beat up from previous offroad trips. It originally had 285/75R16's when I bought it and it drove and handled MUCH better. when I went up to the 315/75R16's I had the torsion bars cranked as well and it has rode like total **** ever since and the front tires still will rub if I hit a bump while turning real sharp. so I'm planning on going back down to 285's and loosening the torsion bars back down to get the ride quality back.

But I cant decide on what rims to go with, I dont want something super flashy like most of the heavy looking moto-metal wheels, Im looking for something light and probably aluminum. I like the style of the raceline renegades (pic below) and I hear they arent super heavy. Any opinions/ideas? I also want to go with either 17" or 18" rims instead of the 16's.

Since my 6.0 swap I'm lacking alot of traction with these worn a/t's so I plan on getting more of a street type tire/rim combo but want them to look right on my truck since it is still a lifted truck (4" rancho lift). and remember I will be lowering the front by around 2 inches and the rear by about 1.5 inches (rear got alot higher when I did the 14bolt swap so I will be lowering it back down via a smaller lift block)

I'm hoping that by running a little smaller of a tire and being a little lower will make it a little more comfortable to drive since its my daily driver and wont be going offroad anymore. so please let me know your ideas/opinions on what would look good on my truck!

-------------------------
I kinda like this type of style, looks nice and not too flashy. I think they would look good with offroad or street tires.

--
How the truck looks now
(will be lowering suspension around 1.5 - 2.0" front/back)
Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say go with the 17s and do a 315/70/17 and I kinda like those up above looks nice the black wheels would go well with ur plastics well that's my opinion make it look meaner that a raptor lol
Old 02-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Launching!

I am pretty sure I'm going to go with these rims, but need a smaller tire than a 315 so I can loosen the torsion bars and lower it a little and get some ride quality back. it rode 100X better with the 285's and looser torsion bars
Old 02-02-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

How about some 305/65/17 or the 285/75/17? just throwing some ideas lol, you still cant go wrong with those wheels!!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think about these wheels? They are called the Fuel Hostage's. You can check them out, as well as other similar styles at http://ampdmotors.com/wo/viewcusG.php?wo=710328&sub=
Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ampdmotorsports
What do you think about these wheels? They are called the Fuel Hostage's. You can check them out, as well as other similar styles at http://ampdmotors.com/wo/viewcusG.php?wo=710328&sub=
those are OK, but I don't really like the bolts on them..

I am pretty much decided on the 17x9 raceline renegade. now i'm trying to figure out what size tire I want and what type. I have the 4.56 gears so I only want like an inch or so smaller diameter tire so I can still cruise at decent RPM's on the highway. The current tires are 315/75R16 and measure out to 34.6 inches so I dont think I want to go any smaller than 32.5 inches
Old 02-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Launching!

ok, almost done deciding.. here we go

Wheels: Raceline renegade 6 in black (pic above)

Tire size: 295/70R17 this size will be around 1.25" smaller diameter as well as about an inch skinnier, which should give me just enough clearance to loosen the torsion bars and lower the front an inch or two and wont add too many rpms to my cruising speeds (got 4.56 gears so I was worried about going too small on the tire diameter)

Only thing left is what brand/model tire to get? what would you guys recommend? I want a more streetable tire than the mud terrains and cooper AllTerrains I have been running but I want it to look right on the truck since it is still a 4x4. Im leaning towards the nitto terra grapplers. they look like they would run good on the asphalt but wouldnt be bad in some snow or mud if I did end up in some.

Let me know what tires you guys would recommend! thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto Terra Grapplers.

I would recommend going with the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I have had them on my truck for 2 years (25k miles or so) they are about half work so they will last you awhile. They are also super quiet, and they still kick *** off road. They do a 295/70/17 which is a 33.19" diameter. I sell them for $1049 for the set, plus shipping if you cant pick them up.

Originally Posted by brandon_6667
ok, almost done deciding.. here we go

Wheels: Raceline renegade 6 in black (pic above)

Tire size: 295/70R17 this size will be around 1.25" smaller diameter as well as about an inch skinnier, which should give me just enough clearance to loosen the torsion bars and lower the front an inch or two and wont add too many rpms to my cruising speeds (got 4.56 gears so I was worried about going too small on the tire diameter)

Only thing left is what brand/model tire to get? what would you guys recommend? I want a more streetable tire than the mud terrains and cooper AllTerrains I have been running but I want it to look right on the truck since it is still a 4x4. Im leaning towards the nitto terra grapplers. they look like they would run good on the asphalt but wouldnt be bad in some snow or mud if I did end up in some.

Let me know what tires you guys would recommend! thanks