General Truck Racing and Discussion Baja, Stadium, Craftsman Truck Series, Offroad, Sleds, Mudding, Monster Trucks

Autocross anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Autocross anybody?

i know ALOT of guys/gals race there trucks down the 1/4 but just wondering if anybody on here autocrosses there trucks as well? any pics or videos?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

i dont know of anyone off hand but i have been wanting to get into it a little.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

curious as well. I hang out with a VW GTI owner. nicely built(needs paint. lol) that goes auto-xing every few weekends. Told him I want to give it a whack sometime.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

You could always try SCCA SoloII racing. There are clubs all over. Its mostly parking lot racing through orange cones, but it could be fun. I dabbled in it awhile back. The only issue is to be competitive, you really have to read the rules and play them to your advantage. A modified truck would not be competitive in any SCCA class. The only class would be any truck stock class. Typically, stock classes would allow little things like a KN filter, or cat back exhaust, but thats it. If you have a cam, FI, major suspension work, extra cubes etc, it would automatically put you into a modified class with cars like cobras, camaro SS's and other cars that are fully built with modified motors, full suspension work etc. There is no way to compete with a truck in SCCA events. I dont know if there are other events where it would be more benficial. You can always check around and at least go for the fun of it, expecting to not podium. Its kind of funny because of how competitive these people get. They take it very seriously. I competed in Fstock and placed once. I had a 96 Z28 with 6spd. I was running against LS1 F-body's, mustangs, etc. It was very tough. Always about 20+ vehicles in that field.

I should also add that the 4L60/65E in a truck platform is NOT designed for the abuse a road course will throw out and neither are the differentials. You should take that into consideration as well.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by black2003ss
I should also add that the 4L60/65E in a truck platform is NOT designed for the abuse a road course will throw out and neither are the differentials. You should take that into consideration as well.
good point
Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been a few times in the SSS. Its fun, an excuse to drive hard and be around car guys. I usually go out with the corvette club so they have some sick rides.

check here for events near you:
Myautoevents.com
Old 05-02-2009, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

SCCA is the way to go. BMWCCA and PCCA(Porsche) are very strict and usually wont allow trucks. The SCCA does but the event cordinator has the final word.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:43 PM

I've run my 2001 Ranger Edge (2wd) and had all I could do to get past the tech inspections because they swore up and down it was lifted. Finally they let me run after realizing it was stock height but due to my wide wheels and tires, I was bumped up to E-Street Prepared class (basically Mustang GT's and Camaros) and I still managed 2nd of the 6 people in my class and one of the best times once indexed. Granted, the truck as smoking the inside tire all the way around the track, but it handles incredibly. There's no way they'd let me run my Silverado however, nor would I want to honestly.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Guys have done pretty well at SCCA events with Syclones. But they already have FI and AWD, so I'm sure they can hold thier own in the stock class. Anything modified above and beyond that...? I imagine they'd lose thier foothold quick.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

I helped a friend with a pro-touring truck once, and it always came up short against GTI-s with a basic lowering kit. Plus this was a 77 RCSB Chevy that weighed alot less then my truck 07 NNBS RCSB by around 800 lbs.

I would do it again in a heartbeat for myself, but if you wanna run competitive get something competitive to start with. Or it will just be for fun like I will end up doing here soon enough.

Quick Reply: Autocross anybody?