FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Walbro's NEW complete drop-in replacement pump for 04-09 trucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walbro's NEW complete drop-in replacement pump for 04-09 trucks!!!

Hey guys/gals,

I was at the Keystone Big Show this weekend in Atlantic City and as I was passing by the Walbro booth I looked on the shelf and said "wait a minute, that looks like a GM Truck Drop in Pump/bucket etc." so I go over and ask them, they confirmed that it was indeed and is brand new, in fact they didn't have pricing info on it yet but it is coming out, they even said it would work with the FPCM.

I was VERY excited, as per below it's stated to support 550hp+ which is perfect for most NA guys out there and for us Turbo guys pushing out bigger power when we looked at it we are pretty sure that we can replace the pump that it comes with with the Walbro 450.

Well after talking to them for a bit I asked if they could send me one of these new pumps so that I could install it and put the truck on the dyno before and after and do some HPT data logs to see some results. They agreed as they didn't have means to get real world data and dyno info so this is great for me I will also be trying to install the Walbro 450 in it after we install it as-is.

As you can see in the picture, they have the pump on one side with a hose coming out then going to the filter as opposed to the stock one where the pump outlet has an o-ring and goes direct into the filter so this makes for swapping out to the 450 possible.

On to some pictures:

Name:  IMG_20140222_170514.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  25.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20140222_175633.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  41.7 KB

What do you think? I was pretty happy to see this and thought that this would be really good for a lot of folks on here. I will post all results that I get, take some comparison pics etc.

(Background on my fuel issues, I had the non-flex pump and was running out of fuel pressure at higher RPM on the dyno, I bought the Walbro 450 however there's really no way to put it into an NNBS bucket while retaining the venturi system that fills the bucket when fuel gets lower or keeping the over pressure valve and also couldn't keep the stock in tank filter so I bought a Flex Fuel Assembly and it is "tying me over" but I'm hoping this Walbro will be the ticket)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

tag, i was hoping this would happen one day. fast replacement... I need one for my truck yesterday.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

whats interesting about this is the bucket doesnt have to be modified... Its scary when you go lean and run out of fuel from sloshing below 1/2 tank lol.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What results are you attempting to show by putting it on a dyno and data logging? There should be no power or data changes by swapping the pump.

The only benefits you could really report on are the ease of installation, whether or not the bucket still functions like stock, and the power capability of the 450 (which is already well documented).

Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't a 450 support a lot more than 550rwhp?

You should probably think about upgrading the wiring also. The 450 needs a lot of current, up to 20A!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
What results are you attempting to show by putting it on a dyno and data logging? There should be no power or data changes by swapping the pump.

The only benefits you could really report on are the ease of installation, whether or not the bucket still functions like stock, and the power capability of the 450 (which is already well documented).

Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't a 450 support a lot more than 550rwhp?

You should probably think about upgrading the wiring also. The 450 needs a lot of current, up to 20A!
They want to see that this pump really does support the claimed HP in a real world application without a drop in fuel pressure. The pump that it comes with is the DCSS 39/50 which is their 400lph pump so in reality yes this should support more than 550whp but they said they really had no way of testing it. In all reality I probably won't have to swap it out for the 450lph at my power level. Also, upgrading the wiring is not as easy with the FPCM.

So yes you are right in that it won't increase horsepower but if this is a true drop in that requires no mods and supports over 550whp with solid fuel pressure throughout and retains use of the FPCM I'm pretty sure we have a winner, no?
Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Great stuff from Walbro with great prices.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Am I the only one seeing the severe drop off in flow above 60psi on the spec sheet?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKID
Am I the only one seeing the severe drop off in flow above 60psi on the spec sheet?
Perhaps it's taking into account the FPR?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GXPJAY
They want to see that this pump really does support the claimed HP in a real world application without a drop in fuel pressure. The pump that it comes with is the DCSS 39/50 which is their 400lph pump so in reality yes this should support more than 550whp but they said they really had no way of testing it. In all reality I probably won't have to swap it out for the 450lph at my power level. Also, upgrading the wiring is not as easy with the FPCM.

So yes you are right in that it won't increase horsepower but if this is a true drop in that requires no mods and supports over 550whp with solid fuel pressure throughout and retains use of the FPCM I'm pretty sure we have a winner, no?
Ah okay, I thought you said that it comes with a 450
Old 02-24-2014, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

so besides the ease of dropping in, what benefit is this over putting a aftermarket pump in your stock one?

Im switching to return system and putting dual 255's in, but if this is a better option i may hold out

Quick Reply: Walbro's NEW complete drop-in replacement pump for 04-09 trucks!!!