FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket

I had gotten a junkyard pump last year and put the Walbro 450 in earlier this year but hadn't installed it in the truck yet. I bit the bullet yesterday with the cooler weather and so far so good. I had another defective pump and took the two seals out of it and installed those in the bottom of bucket. I got a comparable size umbrella seal sketch and picked the hole pattern off it. I bolted down the bucket fill device and ran a hose to the output side of the Walbro vs. the stock pump used an outlet at the bottom of the pump. I don't want my new pump to dry out my bucket and not have to worry about having a 1/4 tank of gas (though that is still a good idea to do anyway even with stock).
Attached Thumbnails Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket-img_2686.jpg   Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket-img_2698.jpg  
Old 09-13-2015, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

I got a sheet of plastic from US Plastics and used my Dremel on it to make a landing at the bottom (since I was not reusing the filter and the Walbro wouldn't fit in it. I used all non-magnetic SS or brass, including the crimp clamps. I used all 3/8 submersible hose except for the bucket refill and the regulator line. I even cut off the 5/16 tip on the exit on the cap and used a 3/8 compression fitting. I installed an Aeromotive filter OUTSIDE the tank on the rail and just tied two Braided 3/8 lines with quick connects on the stock location connectors. So far so good.

Added: And yes I put the sock on the end of the pump before I put it in the bucket.
Attached Thumbnails Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket-img_2663.jpg   Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket-img_2662.jpg   Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket-img_2701.jpg  

Last edited by Chavette; 09-13-2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Added Sock note
Old 09-13-2015, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

get it installed and working?
Old 09-13-2015, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Yep
Old 09-14-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 450 is a badass pump. Nice work.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, it should be more than enough for my little setup as long as I stay on gasoline anyway.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Just sharing. I went 300 miles on a quarter tank....yeah I wish. Was stuck on 3/4 tank. I pulled tank back down today and it was the pump connector or fuel hose, or maybe even both that was the problem. The level sensor checked out ohms wise....same as my stock pump that came out. I had emailed Dorman tech support and got a reply back that their nylon fuel hose was PA12 and submersible. So I got several Dorman 800-181 hoses which are 3/8 and have a corrugated middle. Not as good as having a completely corrugated nylon hose but better than the fat gates submersible. Could not find a tee locally that was 3/8 and nylon barb, so I used a brass one and used my dremel to calm down the barbs so I could get the nylon hose on. The crimp hose clamps that came with the nylon hose were too small for the brass barbs so I had some SS fuel clamps I used and just used the crimp clamps on the nylon connectors. I used my press, flare tool clamp, and a little silicone spray to get the barb fittings on where I could. I pushed the pump electrical connector out the opposite direction of the level sensor once it was in the tank. I thought it was much easier to get the smaller tubing into the tank than the gates submersible hose. I was able to get my hand in the tank and check that the level sensor was clear and would move up and down and also make sure the hose was not kinked inside the tank. So far so good, I am passing everything but a gas station again.
Attached Thumbnails Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket-img_2863.jpg   Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket-img_2864.jpg  
Old 09-26-2015, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

I got to measuring after the fact the splice the dorman tube uses and didn't like the idea of the restriction. So FINALLY, I found some 3/8 corrugated fuel hose (so others can find it the part number is 20-0195 submersible PTFE Fuel hose). The 5/16 is all over the place for much cheaper but the 3/8 was tougher to find at any price. It cost me about $20 per hose that is 13 inches long and came with 2 SS clamps. I also got a smoother type barb to NPT and a tee connector. This morning I pulled the tank, made the changes, put the tank back, and did idle and cruise logs. While it was out, I disconnected the mechanical regulator in the bucket to see what happens (since Byrdman did this on his). I left it hanging in case I needed to hook it back up. I slowly heated the metal fitting itself (not the hose) with an electric heat shrink gun while I pressed the hose onto it, let it cool then tightened the clamps. On the tee I was able to actually slide the other tube on before the metal cooled from doing the first hose. On the plastic barb of the pump I had already taken the top most part of the barb off and smoothed the remaining barb down a bit. Using a little silicone I was able to push the hose on and it actually sort of snapped into place (where the first ridges are on the hose sleeve and the barb) then I tightened the clamp. I hooked my induction valve back up to continue to fill the bucket. I also ran the hoses and electrical connector out the opposite side of the level sensor Results: The FPCM through PWM holds the pressure at 58 psi which is what is currently commanded. At idle the fuel pulse is a little choppier than with the regulator hooked up but not bad at all. I plan to play with lowering the idle down to 45 psi to give the injectors a chance to open a bit more since I have ID1000's and then bump the WOT pressure up some.

Added Note: While the Dorman line will work in the tank and the flexible part of it seems to work okay, any part of the straight part of it will be prone to bending or folding. The Gates 3/8 is tough not to kink or fold on tight bends. The transparent corrugated fuel line is MUCH better suited for the twists and bends you need to do inside the tank, its just more expensive (along the same cost as Gates submersible).
Attached Thumbnails Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket-idle-58-psi-no-mechanical-regulator.jpg   Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket-img_2874.jpg   Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket-img_2875.jpg   Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket-img_2877.jpg  

Last edited by Chavette; 10-01-2015 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Recommending the Corrugated Fuel Line vs. other two choices
Old 09-26-2015, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hoping to install this same pump (F90000267 with 400-0085) in my non-flex fuel bucket within the next couple weeks. Glad yours is working, was a little concerned about pulse width modulation/the FPCM controlling the pump.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by wanablaze
Hoping to install this same pump (F90000267 with 400-0085) in my non-flex fuel bucket within the next couple weeks. Glad yours is working, was a little concerned about pulse width modulation/the FPCM controlling the pump.
Does yours have PWM?

Quick Reply: Walbro 450 in a Stock Avalanche Bucket