FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Return-Style Fuel Conversion

Old 12-04-2010, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Rick, I have no idea if you can run without that cannister or not. How are you connecting the 044's to the bulkhead?
I was planning on running a check valve on one pump and a "Y" to tie them together and use a hose barb adapter to the bulkhead but it's just too tight. The check valve is about 2" long and I don't want to run both all the time. As you can see, the pumps are a large enough diameter that they basically take up the entire bucket. They pretty much kill all the bucket fuel capacity so I'd have to open up the bottom of the bucket for the filter socks. I don't like the idea of having to keep at least a 1/4-1/3 tank to keep them immersed. I have too much time and $$$ invested to wipe out an engine because I didn't have time to stop by the gas station.

I'm going to put together a surge tank that is fed by my current Walbro 255 and I'll mount the bosch 044's externally. I'll use the stock returnless rail and tap in an -AN fitting to feed my Aeromotive FPR. I wanted to keep the 044's in the tank for noise and cooling benefits but it looks like that's not going to work at this time.

Rick
Old 12-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

I didnt even think about the volume of the bucket that the pumps take up, but I understand what you are saying. That makes me want to stick with just the two densos for that reason.

Is there a point to the bucket moving up and down on the rails? Isn't it always fully extended when its in the tank?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Is there a point to the bucket moving up and down on the rails? Isn't it always fully extended when its in the tank?
It makes the bucket stay in contact with the tank floor and it probably allows the assembly to be used in a varitey of gas tanks. The bucket is constantly being refilled by the FPR return and has two one-way flapper valves so it is at least as full as the tank level. It's a good system so that's why I don't want to screw it up by cutting open the bucket floor.

I have anout 70% of the fittings I need for the surge tank so this afternoon I'll figure out what I'm missing. I want to set it up so I can add an E85 fuel cell down the road and be able to switch between them by just turning the internal pumps on and off. The tuning side of that we be another project on its own.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:07 PM
I have a gauge for that

What I mean is will I have to account for the bucket compressing and route the hoses accordingly so they have some flex, or will it always be fully extended in the tank so I can just make a straight connection?

My parts list to do this whole thing is at roughly 40 indiviual pieces
Old 12-04-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

What I mean is will I have to account for the bucket compressing and route the hoses accordingly so they have some flex, or will it always be fully extended in the tank so I can just make a straight connection?
You can measure the compressed height and run a straight hose like Mangled03 did on his 044 intank. Generally, you just add a loop in the fuel line from the "Y" to the bulkhead.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I have a gauge for that

Right, im asking if that loop is necessary at all if the bucket is never compressed when its in the tank...

I plan to run a cross off the bulkhead so I dont have to worry about Y's and can connect 3 pumps later rather easily.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Right, im asking if that loop is necessary at all if the bucket is never compressed when its in the tank..
It's been about 3 1/2 years since I installed my 255 but I remember having to compress it about an inch or so till the ring sould seal against the tank. Just figure out the compresses height and do a straight shot.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick_Vor
I'm going to put together a surge tank that is fed by my current Walbro 255 and I'll mount the bosch 044's externally...I wanted to keep the 044's in the tank for noise and cooling benefits but it looks like that's not going to work at this time.

Rick
If you are building your own surge tank, why not design it so the pumps can be inside of it?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 PM
11 Second Truck Club

This is a good thread, a lot of good ideas and info in here. Keeping my eye on this one for near future reference.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
If you are building your own surge tank, why not design it so the pumps can be inside of it?
I picked up an eBay 3l surge tank a while back otherwise I'd definetely go that route.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Return-Style Fuel Conversion