FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Help me make up my mind, since I can't seem to..

Old 01-19-2017, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help me make up my mind, since I can't seem to..

Alright I'm looking for some advise and some direction with the setup I want to go with. I've changed my mind like 2 times on this and I'm tired of dropping the tank, chasing my tail with this.

Situation:
I tracked down my Fuel pressure drop off to a restricted return line. Fixed that to find out that the bucket is too small. I just picked up a '04 tank and pump module for free, so I'll be swapping tanks for the larger bucket. I'm running a HFP340 pump which seems to flow like a walbro 255(despite the specs).

I have two 340 pumps(one has a bad check valve)
I also have another that has a built in Venturi tube off the top
And an Aeromotive 340 and an Inline 044 setup to run off a surge tank.

Goal:
650whp, possibly e85(or a blend),eventually 800 w/ new injectors...
Regardless of pumps, I'll be running -8 feed and -6 return. I have 55lb ev1 Bosch injectors on the rails with a Amotive adj reg. at the rails. Truck is set up for a single stage wet kit, but the plan is to go two stage with either a plate kit or DP fogger setup... Short term goal is 600-650whp. Long term, I'd like the fuel system to support 800w/o changing much more than the injectors...

How should I set this up? Is it going overkill if I run dual 340's in the bucket to a 90* -8 bulkhead. Then run -8 to the surge tank, through the 044, micron 10, and to the rails?

What pieces should I retain from the bigger bucket? What should I scrap?
I have a check valve coming off the 044 pump. Do I need one in the tank?

And lastly, am I ok to run the single regulator at the rails, or do I need another one pre-surge tank so the 044 isn't receiving excessive pressure?
Attached Thumbnails Help me make up my mind, since I can't seem to..-image.jpg  

Last edited by chris99gmc; 01-19-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

Some pics for reference...

Name:  E6688D20-B45B-4814-B280-94CE9303BFB7_zpscxfdzmln.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  315.1 KB

Name:  4A64AADE-3550-4518-BE77-5D1C54330A17_zpsaorex8hz.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  331.0 KB

Name:  B189B3A7-48FB-466F-A4E2-6B4058D51937_zpszptdycfk.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  293.8 KB

Name:  7074066C-FCF5-49F5-8FDF-5B212DE6CD1B_zpsq5xsbjet.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  251.7 KB
Attached Thumbnails Help me make up my mind, since I can't seem to..-image.jpg  
Old 01-19-2017, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Man your fuel system is beyond complicated, especially for a older truck...

Heres my take on what you should do. First off ditch all that surge tank stuff, next buy yourself a Weldon Racing 1100 pump and put it in tank with a fuel lab -10 stainless pre filter. Run the -8 feed to the back of the rails and run a good regulator like a Aeromotive, FORE, or Magnafuel and run a -6 return back to the tank. Done

That pump works with all fuels and will support any future modifactions you decide to do. Run a good relay and use a check valve after the post filter and you will be good to go. I personally don't like multiple pumps and would rather do a nice single anywhere possible. Dual pumps just adds another potential failure point and if that second pump doesn't for whatever reason come on you could cause some serious damage to your motor especially on boost or bottle. I mean obviously a single will only work up to a certain fuel volume but for your hp goals to me no need to over complicate it.

http://www.t1racedevelopment.com/cat...fuel-pump.html

http://www.t1racedevelopment.com/cat...regulator.html

https://www.foreinnovations.com/Prod...uctCode=39-100

http://www.jegs.com/i/Fuelab/083/838...WFUaAp9t8P8HAQ

http://www.jegs.com/i/Painless-Perfo...30131/10002/-1

Just my idea of a good fuel system that will support future mods. Its pricey but do it right the first time instead of over and over. As far as your bucket goes, remove everything out of the bucket and run the bucket with just the pump and pre filter but make sure the return is ran into the bucket. Make a few holes in the bucket so the pump doesnt suck the bucket dry and your good to go. Also wouldn't hurt to do a e85 sensor install on the return line if you have the 411 PCM that way it can adjust to ethanol content on its own.

Last edited by Three6GMC; 01-19-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Yes, I know I changed plans and compiled a lot of parts. Good advise tho.

I'd prefer not to purchase anything else and use what I already have. Hopefully I'll have it up and running by Sunday.

As of now, I have all the -8 and -6 lines, all fittings, micron -10, billet adj reg and rails already installed.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If your going to use what you have already, still no use for that surge tank. Put the pumps in the bucket and run them with a post filter straight to the rails with the regulator on the opposite side that way the rails stay filled. Nothing wrong with what you got just need to revise the layout of it.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

I have the rails set up with the -8 fed into the passenger side near the firewall. It goes from rail through crossover to the other rail, and then out the other rail to the regulator. The reg return line shoots out the bottom. Out the other side of the regulator, it T-s back into the -8 feed at the passenger side rail(where it came in from the pump) and the line for the nitrous fuel noid and fpss plumbs through a gauge port off that same T. So essentially it makes a loop with the idea that nothing starves near the end of the line and the flow makes a continuous loop.

As far as the bucket goes, I was considering running that one hfp340 with the Venturi tube router back to the bottom of the inside bucket along with the aeromotive 340 pump plumbed in with the plastic OEM 90* Venturi jet at the bucket inlet(bottom of the outside bucket)drilled to about double the size. I cant decide if I want to use the factory feed for the return or not. Only issue I could see happening might be that the return line isn't submerged causing bubbles. Should I leave that black check valve deal in there near the top of the bulkhead? Or pull that out along with the factory regulator and stuff for the returnless setup??

Last edited by chris99gmc; 01-19-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Three6GMC;
As far as your bucket goes, remove everything out of the bucket and run the bucket with just the pump and pre filter but make sure the return is ran into the bucket. Make a few holes in the bucket so the pump doesnt suck the bucket dry and your good to go. Also wouldn't hurt to do a e85 sensor install on the return line if you have the 411 PCM that way it can adjust to ethanol content on its own.
Thanks for the tip... I have some extra umbrella one-way disks that I can use at the bottom of the bucket. So essentially I want to get rid of the regulator stuff. What the best way to utilize some sort of a Venturi to keep the bucket full? I guess I could set it up and test it in a 5 gal bucket before I install it.... But if anyone has any suggestions for this bucket on a return setup, I'm all ears...

Im considering the flex fuel conversion, but I don't have the newer PCM. I've been running the custom 1 bar OS on the original PCM with no issues. I've also been running OLSD mode for what seems like forever. Call me crazy. But it's not my DD anymore and I'm always logging with a netbook wherever I go. So the sensor would be pretty much irrelevant for me at this point(just modify the EQ table)

Search this Thread