FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Clear up the confusion on a returnless fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear up the confusion on a returnless fuel system

I know this subject has been beat to death but I would love for someone to clear it up for me I have an 07 NNBS RCSB 4.8. I'm putting a on3 turbo system on and getting confused on the fuel system. I don't have intentions on going much over 500rwhp if at all but I want it reliable. I have a walbro 450 on the shelf but if that's not what I need I will buy what I need. I don't want to modify the factory bucket or worry about keeping it above a half a tank of fuel. If someone could explain to me what I need or what guys are running with a similar set up would be greatly appreciated. I've read till I'm blue in the face and it's all contradicting, everyone has their own opinion it seems like. What I'm looking for is it to be as reliable as the factory fuel system. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:38 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

If you have a flex fuel pump it would probably get you to 550 or so
Old 01-05-2017, 06:45 PM
Teching In

My truck isn't flex fuel ive been told the in tank regulator won't handle a bigger pump also but I'm not sure of any of it
I'm not trying to be cheap I'm just looking for the right way to do it
Old 01-05-2017, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The wally 450 is rated for 450lph, thos translates to 118.9 gph
The oem flex pump is 52gph.

so if a flex pump can roughly get ya tp 550 and you goal is aprox 500, you will max it quickly as you will rapidly want more than 500 and thats just a matter of turning up the boost and retune.
It happens to everyone, do not lie to yourself and say "it wont happen to me", because it will.

You can howver get a complete flex fuel drop in fuel sending unit with pump for 230$.
But knowing how Ppl quickly get used to a set power level and want more, especialy from a turbo setup.
You would be smart to do what ever ot takes to get that wally 450 in that tank and setup a return system.
Aeromotive makes bad *** return style regulators that are not very costly.
As you said you have researched this to death, so i wont repeat what you already know about installing a return system and the corvette or aftermarket regulator.

Do it right the first time and know you fuel system is capable of what ever you will want as far as power feom that on3 kit. With in reasonable limits.

Just re read your post.
Here os how i would do it and how many have done it here at PT.net

Run a new braided line from pump to aftermarket regulator and use oem metal line as the return.
Theres hundreds of pic showing how to mod the bucket to do this setup.

Or biy a return style oem fuel sending unit and swap out the pump, then just run a new rubber braided line feom aftermarket or vette refulator back to the return style bucket.
This requires the fewest mods, but is by far the more expensive way.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

If you remove the fuel Venturi from the bottom of the fuel bucket it will help allow the stock in tank regulator to control the 450's pressure. I made a YouTube video on how to remove it. It's easy.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:19 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
If you remove the fuel Venturi from the bottom of the fuel bucket it will help allow the stock in tank regulator to control the 450's pressure. I made a YouTube video on how to remove it. It's easy.
Link to said Video?
Old 01-06-2017, 08:12 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Just reloaded it. A lot of my videos are missing for some reason.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Teching In

The expense is really no concern I've had other boosted trucks in the past and had fuel problems at some point in time and I just don't want to mess with it on this one I would just as soon do it right the first time and never have to worry about it
The return system and Corvette regulator and all that is where I get mixed up what all do I need to get to do that besides a return style regulator can I use the bucket I have and so on. Like I said I don't want to compromise the factory bucket where I have to make sure it has a half a tank of fuel or more all the time I want it to act just like the factory fuel system
if the 450 won't work for me i'm perfectly OK with buying another pump also
Old 01-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Teching In

will the vette regulator handle the 450
Old 01-07-2017, 10:31 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

If you use the FPCM functionality smartly then maybe, but I dont think it will with the pump on 100% at idle and low load.