FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Best Way To Change Fuel Pump 2000 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Way To Change Fuel Pump 2000 Silverado

I had to change out my fuel pump on my Silverado and looked at all the options. I came up with tilting the bed. This was by far the fastest pump I have ever changed!

Start with removing a couple of torx screws on the filler door and a plastic fastener. Then just push the assembly into the fender.

Move under the truck and remove 4 bolts on the drivers side holding the bed on loosen the same four on the pass side so you are engaged into the threads by 4 turns.
Move to the back and remove the tailgate. Then go undr and remove the 2 electrical plugs from frame to bed.

Thats it, now have a 16 inch 2 x 4 ready and put your shoulder under the drivers fender well and push up and put the 2 x 4 between the frame and bed just past the axle. I put two more in for safety.

The next thing is to remove the fuel pump and install the new. Pretty straight forward.
Attached Thumbnails Best Way To Change Fuel Pump 2000 Silverado-bed-tilted-6-feet.jpg   Best Way To Change Fuel Pump 2000 Silverado-bed-tilted-under-shot.jpg   Best Way To Change Fuel Pump 2000 Silverado-fuel-pump.jpg   Best Way To Change Fuel Pump 2000 Silverado-tank-under-bed.jpg  
Old 02-12-2017, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I usually pull the bed and set it on the tire and bumper on the support rods, makes it really easy, just requires someone else strong enough to lift the other side of the bed..
Old 02-13-2017, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Farmer2
I had to change out my fuel pump on my Silverado and looked at all the options. I came up with tilting the bed. This was by far the fastest pump I have ever changed!

Start with removing a couple of torx screws on the filler door and a plastic fastener. Then just push the assembly into the fender.

Move under the truck and remove 4 bolts on the drivers side holding the bed on loosen the same four on the pass side so you are engaged into the threads by 4 turns.
Move to the back and remove the tailgate. Then go undr and remove the 2 electrical plugs from frame to bed.

Thats it, now have a 16 inch 2 x 4 ready and put your shoulder under the drivers fender well and push up and put the 2 x 4 between the frame and bed just past the axle. I put two more in for safety.

The next thing is to remove the fuel pump and install the new. Pretty straight forward.

Did you change the fuel level assy. and the positive pressure sensor, (electrical plug on the right in your picture)? I did my 2000 step by step like you. Bought all the replacement parts from the dealer, (AC Delco). Sure enough the positive pressure sensor, which is part of the Evap. emissions system didn't seal like the OEM original and I had about a gallon of gas on the ground before I realized it the first time I tried to max the tank out. The sensor has the stepped "ear plug" type rings on it that you press down into the hole in the top of the hole of the module assy. Very rarely a problem now since this is a year ago but figured I'd give you a heads up. I like to fill my tank to the neck/cap when I'm going on a trip or towing. I pressed and reseated mine 3-4 times. Seems better. Figured I'd share my experience as we have the same truck.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
I usually pull the bed and set it on the tire and bumper on the support rods, makes it really easy, just requires someone else strong enough to lift the other side of the bed..
I put it on a few stacked pallets, harder to to knock over that way
Old 02-13-2017, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wretched73
I put it on a few stacked pallets, harder to to knock over that way
I had my bed off for a few months in my buddy's garage painting the truck, and he had this plastic storage tote on wheels... sat perfectly under the bed and allowed for easy maneuverability.... ive never knocked a bed off the tire and bumper, not going to discuss the time the idiot helping me had no sense what we were trying to do and tried to tilt it on the tailgate
Old 02-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

I used a similar method but had a motorcycle flat jack at my disposal. It slid right under and then I just cranked that dude right up hahaha.