Foreign Performance Discussion Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Range Rover

timing belt...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default timing belt...........

Hey guys, have a buddy with a 1989 Honda S(?) Anyways, concern about the timing belt has popped up. The belt has been replaced a couple times B4 and is about 60k into this one. The reason for concern is that there is like a whirring sound, like a little turbo I'd guess. Question, would moving to a more arid environment cause and different wear of the belt? And is the belt oiled at all.................
TIA
Old 08-29-2016, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

The belt is always dry, it's just inside a plastic cover on most honda's.

If the belt runs the water pump, the whirring sound could be from that.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks FF- gonna take a close look at the WP. Could the whirring be a sign that the WP is going south...............
Old 08-29-2016, 06:38 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

It could be. If it has one on that model, Check the coolant crossover tube as well the o'rings can leak as well as the tubes become rusty.

If the belts getting oil on it, the cam or crank seal is likely leaking and should be replaced.

I always do the seals and a water pump when I do a timing belt. If the customer won't spring for it they can go somewhere elses. I don't need the liability or the head ache when it does fail. They always want to point the finger at the last person.

I actually had a shop call me one time and ask why we didn't do it while we were in there even though we did a timing belt. I stated "did the customer forget to tell you they declined the parts and requested only the timing belt be replaced?" He said well no, they didn't tell me that... I said "We don't normally give out a copy of customer records but if the customer will show you the receipt for the actual work we performed it clear states the customer specifically refused and specified for just the timing belt to be replaced." He says "Well let me speak to the customer and I will call you back." He actually did and then stated "The customer didn't have the receipt with him but now the story is changing a little." I said "Well, not only do I have the invoice in front of me but I made the customer sign right next to the disclaimer stating that he declined the other parts and specifically requested only the belt be changed. If you would like to come down here in person, I will gladly you show you the signed copy." He said, "No That's ok, I am not sure I even want to work on this guys car." I said "Well, Good luck on whatever you decide"
Old 09-05-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, this was all an over the phone thing. Finally got to see the thing in person, it's a Prelude S and concluded it one of or both of the radiator fans- bearings going south. Found that it has an electric WP which is on the other side of the engine than the timing belt. So gonna keep an eye on the radiator fan(s) and go from there..................