Notices
Ford Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, 4.6, 5.4 Triton

f-150 v10 been done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question f-150 v10 been done?

Been tossing this around for a while now in my head and when i get some free cash im going to try and get it rolling, gotta pay bills first.

Anyway was thinking an 04-06 regular cab short bed 2wd, not sure what drop but dopnt want it stupid looking(maybe like a lightening thats lowered on hotchkicks or something more than a 2/3). From there id search junk yards for a 250 or up truck that had the v-10 in it and pull the engine, trans, harness, ECM, BCM if needed and the supporting hardware.

Of course i was gonna do work to the engine as well as thinking forced induction but unsure what the stock bottom end on the 10 could take, goal is to make an SRT-10 killer thats a sleeper and unsuspecting . Id like to pull up next to one when he is thinking hes hot **** with his girl in the truck and thinking im only running a 4.6 or 5.4 with a funny sounding exhaust then slam em haha.

I know its a project but just something different ya know not run of the mill.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there even a aftermarket for the v10's
Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I havnt researched much but i dont think there is a big aftermarket, i was thinking custom grind on a cam as well as the stock heads ported and polished and opened up with the valves.

From there if the bottom end cant take alot of forced breathing without puking maybe think of cryo treating the rods and crank and getting aftermarket pistons or even rods and pistons then have the crank treated. Id also have the rings ground for boost and have them treated as well to make them harder and hold up better.

The intake would be a custom sheetmetal unit and the water pump electric meizer or something, then of course id think injectors would be able to be swapped so id use some from a termi cobra as well as a walbro pump with a boost a pump wiring harness somehow rigged in. Fuel rail may need to be custom but thats easily sourced

Transmission im not even sure whats in the ford HD so i dont know there but im sure the same one bolts to the back of a powerstroke with a simple bellhousing change i could get it on the back of the 10. I could be able to find one in the diesel world with a mild build thats worthy im sure haha so the support is there for the trans.

Im just thinking out loud here though haha, any input would be appreciated as when i get the camaro back on the road this is the next project. Feel free to brainstorm and make this a good discussion.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usaf_hess
...goal is to make an SRT-10 killer thats a sleeper and unsuspecting . Id like to pull up next to one when he is thinking hes hot **** with his girl in the truck and thinking im only running a 4.6 or 5.4 with a funny sounding exhaust then slam em haha.
Then just buy an LS Silverado, get a tune, some plugs, and a 150 shot.

Ford's are too expensive to make fast. I don't know much about the V-10's either, so I can't help you there. Just seems like you've got a lot of work planned, that would triple the cost of a Silverado build, when the Silverado would end up faster and more of a sleeper.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CC05
Then just buy an LS Silverado, get a tune, some plugs, and a 150 shot.
Exactly. Your not going to make a v10 ferd as fast as a srt10. It will be a huge money pit, if you get it close, you would have been able to buy a srt10 truck. Not trying to **** on your parade, but I don't see it happening.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

HAha im not taking it as your pissing on anyones parade thats why im asking, the biggest factor of the build would be it isnt cookie cutter as a silvy or GMC or the such.

I like to be different and when i have something alot of people have i like to change it, like i used to like affliction clothing cause it was different and felt great while wearing it but then every tom dick and harry who wanted to be all about ufc and the like wanted to wear it and so i stopped haha.

Anyway ive already thought about the silvy or gmc but i like being different and i am pretty sure with good head work and a cam as well as boost it will be plenty fast. they both have similar displacment, biggest diff is one is built for work and the other for performance. That being said simply do some head work, cam, and fuel system and it should be in the same range am i wrong? Once the playing field is leveled you can up the performance in other ways.

Again feel free to brainstorm on the idea cause just thought it wouold be cool, was thinking twin turbo

Im just thinking with a junkyard motor and a cheap truck with some machine work on stock parts and off the shelf others for different performance apps from ford it should be even with an SRT-10 just as if ford made it in their SVT devision, from there simply just upgrade. As far as the cam and heads just go as best you can from there right from the gate but the fuel system and such could be upgraded.

Again opinions and constructive criticism is welcome.

Last edited by usaf_hess; 05-07-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

I'm really not trying to keep you from building a 7.3 RCSB Ford, because I like things to be different, but I just know deep down that you'll drop big money into the build and really won't have much "to show", so to speak. For triple the price of a Silverado, you'll probably have a truck that's on the same playing level, and nearly the same reliability (yeah, I'm aware that the 7.3 is a bajillion mile motor). With that being said, I'm willing to bet that a 5.3 with head work, cam, and spray/whatever, would be just as quick or quicker, than a 7.3 with the same thing(s) done. LS's are just too easy to make quick, and that's why I'd suggest one. The SRT-10 really isn't that fast, so I don't see any reason behind dropping so much money into a truck swap, when you can have a truck, that's not cookie cutter and performs better, for cheaper. I'm sure no one would expect a few of these CCSB's on here to run as well as they do. If it were me and I were starting from scratch with a sleeper, I'd buy something totally unsuspecting, not just a Ford RCSB w/ a swap. I'd honestly shoot for an older Benz w/ LS swap, or something along those lines. No "Viper truck" wants to see Grandpa's Benz fly by him and bruise his ego.

...or just buy a Smart Car and put liter bike's engine in it.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hear ya on the silvy or GMC but they have been done not played out just already done, same with the smart car its already been done.

Its all good though thats why i started this thread to see what would come of it and ideas to or not to go for it. Ive been looking at the RCSB silvy or GMC's leaning for GMC as i like the front ends better, for a while just wanted to be different.

I also toyed with the idea of getting a RCLB GMC or Silvy 2500 aqnd shortening the frame, tossing a built AWD front end under it with a built Ally and a built dmax to the extent of heads, cam, turbos, getting the rods and pistons cryoed for roughly twice the strength of stock, moving the radiator to the rear of the bed with an electric pump and louvered tailgate for airflow with pusher elec fans.

From there id tub the rear and move the batteries right behind the cab. All that moved to the rear would be a big change in the 50/50 weight goal front to rear and of course corner scale it to get the side to side, would use heavy duty sway bars and a nice drop kit to bring it down as well as work the engine to run closer to 5k rpm or better by reducing the compression and moving the power band a little higher with the cam and tuning.

With compound twins or a nice set of parallel twins thing should run like a beast with EFI live(running as smoke free as i could) as well as put it down full time AWD and be a street nightmare with a full sleeper status like a 1500 on 20's or something haha cause id run a nice muffler with a cutout for when i want loud or inconspicous. But thats talking serious money but one hell of a truck.

Ive also toyed with the idea of a good head, cam, intake maybe boosted LS 240sx, or an LS swapped saturn sky with a good head, cam, intake, and fuel system. Either way its all possabilities and all would be sick rides that are different(though the 240 has been done as well as the sky and powerful street dmaxes but not like id want to).

Just trying to think of things different, ive also toyed with a mid engine 4.6 4v ford with turbo on a custom tube frame thats layed out like an ariel atom but the size of a mid engine two seater rail, it would be RWD but one nasty SOB and id hand lay fiberglass panels on it after shaping them with foam . I just like different just dont know which way to go cause i want to do all of em but dont have the money of course hahaha so i gotta choose one plus i dont have the patience for long builds.

Course this is all just hot air cause i havnt even finished the camaro yet(but i think the ex is trying to take that in the divorce so dont think it will get done, let her pay out the *** to have it fixed hahahahaha )

Last edited by usaf_hess; 05-07-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think a fi'd v10 would be cool. But you'll probably end up like the 8.1 bb chevy guys with buyer's remorse.

Id like to suggest a terminator engine w/ a kenne bell.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 PM
9 Second Truck Club

A diesel lightning would be badass.

Quick Reply: f-150 v10 been done?