FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Yet another Lq4 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Blklgt
How much boost are you pushing on your stock bottom end?
Do you see any issue with cutting the T4 flange off and welding a t6 on. Are the up pipes going to be big enough? Also is a 3.5" down pipe going to be big enough? My concern is flow not fitment.
I've ran 16ish lbs on my truck. Around 800hp. I wouldn't even think of putting a T6 turbo on On3 hot pipes, they are known to crack with just the 20lbs small frame t4 turbo's. A T6 BW is over 45lbs and has a 5" vband outlet.

If that's the turbo you want to run, I would highly suggest a set of my T6 hot pipes. You'll be money ahead after all the headaches of modifying a set of cheap Chines made hot parts that won't last. My T6 stuff is stout and will fit and flow anything you throw at them.

I'm really not just trying to throw my parts at you. It's just I've sold many sets of pipes to guys who thought they would save some money and get the On3 stuff first and then find out it just doesn't last and ended up buying my parts, wishing they would have done that to begin with.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ This. I bought a On3 kit with the intention of putting a BW t4 turbo on it. I did not know that it would need modification. I sold the On3 kit BNIB for $1500 and bought a KB kit. The way i see it is if you have the skills to butcher an On3 kit then you would be alot of money ahead to just make your own hot side or at the very least just get a kb or Trick log manifold and you fabricate the crossover and DP. Just my opinion. There is no scenario where you come out winning if you try to make the On3 kit work. Just not going to happen. I'm not saying that you cant make it work, just saying that it will not be worth the extra work or money to do it. That On3 log is not going to support what you are wanting to do. I've seen people weld braces all over it for extra support trying to support the 76mm On3 turbo.... You can keep your eyes open for a used KB or Trick kit and come out really good.

Fight the urge to SAVE money (which you won't in the long run) with the On3 if you are not going to run it in stock form. I bought a On3 kit, 3.5" e-cutout, & deatschwerks 60lb injectors to later sell them all BNIB for a lose when i bought the KB kit w/ 4" DP.

Last edited by 03chevytruck; 11-19-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 03chevytruck
^^ This. I bought a On3 kit with the intention of putting a BW t4 turbo on it. I did not know that it would need modification. I sold the On3 kit BNIB for $1500 and bought a KB kit. The way i see it is if you have the skills to butcher an On3 kit then you would be alot of money ahead to just make your own hot side or at the very least just get a kb or Trick log manifold and you fabricate the crossover and DP. Just my opinion. There is no scenario where you come out winning if you try to make the On3 kit work. Just not going to happen. I'm not saying that you cant make it work, just saying that it will not be worth the extra work or money to do it. That On3 log is not going to support what you are wanting to do. I've seen people weld braces all over it for extra support trying to support the 76mm On3 turbo.... You can keep your eyes open for a used KB or Trick kit and come out really good.

Fight the urge to SAVE money (which you won't in the long run) with the On3 if you are not going to run it in stock form. I bought a On3 kit, 3.5" e-cutout, & deatschwerks 60lb injectors to later sell them all BNIB for a lose when i bought the KB kit w/ 4" DP.
We offer blem
Manifolds from time to time that saves money.
Also done some blem hot pipes sets.
Minor cosmetic defects. Nothing structural wrong.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the insight. I was not aware that their hot side pipes were junk. I had done a bit of research and was under the impression that it was just their turbos and their wastegates that were junk. I will def do more research and pry just build it myself. Do you guys like the way they routed the drivers side bank behind and back up? I had never seen it done like that. I could always flip the stock manifolds and build a merge collector and park it right in front.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Another thing to factor in is I don't have a HP goal to meet and I really don't need to push this setup to the max. I definitely want to keep this setup streetable and this is not a drag build more like a torque monster weekend warrior build. So that being said and the fact we are kind of starting from scratch with what FI parts to use what are your recommendations for turbo brand and size.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate the insight. I was not aware that their hot side pipes were junk. I had done a bit of research and was under the impression that it was just their turbos and their wastegates that were junk. I will def do more research and pry just build it myself. Do you guys like the way they routed the drivers side bank behind and back up? I had never seen it done like that. I could always flip the stock manifolds and build a merge collector and park it right in front.
I wouldnt say theyre turbos are junk. Wastegates are kinda sketchy Ive heard. I run a On3 turbo right now and dont have issues in the year and a half Ive had it and I got an On3 turbo with KBs kit

Many people have done flipped manifold custom hot pipes. It just is up to you if you want to put the time and fabrication in. With KB or tricks hot pipes all the guess work is taken out. Like when I built my truck I got KBs kit minus the cold side
Old 11-20-2016, 05:27 PM
Teching In

How quick does that 78/76 spool on your truck? The only issue is I know I'm going to be modifying any kit because it's going in my obs. I was trying to save some time with the ON3 kit.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt seem laggy to me at all. I think it makes full boost by 3000 rpm. And anything above 2500 you can make boost easy just rolling into the throttle. Originally I had a 76/64 but just by going to the 78/76 I gained 20 rwhp with no boost change

If youre going more budget Id do the On3 but if you have the funds do the BW by all means. A BW will definitely be the next one I get

I think youd only have to modify the down pipe right?
Old 11-22-2016, 07:52 AM
Teching In

Bw is a t6 flange so I would have to cut the t4 off. So I ended up doing some Craigslist and some classifieds searching and bought a used set of custom stainless hot pipes that will be close for what I need and I can tweak them to fit my truck. I also bought off a guy a cx racing fmic and 3" cold piping, turbo feed line, and a turbosmart bov. I'm looking at a set of new 60lb Bosch injectors a local guy has. They look like ls2 style so will they fit my tbss intake?
Old 11-22-2016, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Do you recommend a single wastegate at the collector or 2 smaller gates off each bank?