FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

A/W Intercooler - Coolant flow direction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
I see a 130+ degree rise on a 1/4 mile pass at 15psi. That tells me the coolant is getting entirely heat soaked and is not pulling any heat from the air charge by the end of the run. On a good summer day here in Florida I can easily see 260* IATs.
holy hell, that's insane! i'm sure i'll run into the same issues with my KB setup. one frustrating part of the KB kit is trying to figure out info. i can tell i dont want to call KB directly. from their website i get the feeling that they have a chip on their shoulder and there is no other way to do things but their way.

why not dump a ton of meth on the deal?
Old 10-20-2016, 11:22 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Wonder what boost is above the core?
Old 10-20-2016, 11:47 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

That is just ridiculously inefficient to be real

I wonder if something crazy is happening like the pump is turning off under boost or something.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts

The temp rise isn't much different with the new Pierburg CWA-50 pump according to my limited testing.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:14 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I think you are just at your limits on that core.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I/C Water

The CTS-V guys add a larger water reservoir, they say more water
keeps the IAT's down.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by turboal1
The CTS-V guys add a larger water reservoir, they say more water
keeps the IAT's down.

seems like more water is just a bandaid...it will take longer to heat the water up to the point that your IAT sucks, but on a street driven vehicle it's only a matter of time before the water reaches that point whether it's 1 gallon or 5.

I have a 5 gallon resevoir in my back seat and i can feel the heat coming off of it.

what mixture of coolant/water do you use? i hear 75/25 or even 10/90 water/coolant works better than 50/50

you could move the reservoir to the inside of the bed away from the engine heat. not sure how much of a difference it would make.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts

I have one of Rick's tanks already.

Coolant is 100% water with a little Water Wetter. It doesn't it doesn't get cold enough here to need anti-freeze.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I'm no engineer, but if you could check the out flowing coolant temp vs the IAT and see how it changes during an increased flow, you could determine if the higher flow is beneficial.
True story. HPT cables have analog inputs for a reason As few as two temp sensors could tell you a great deal. One right between HX and IC in IC feed and one between IC and HX in IC return. You'd need to monitor three things total:
Cool side HE>IC temp
Hot side IC>HE temp
pump flow rate..or just 'more' or 'less'

And then watch for the following conditions:
Hot side temp too low (relative to IAT): inefficient/small IC
Cool side temp too high (relative to ambient): inefficient/small HX
Temps too dissimilar: pump flow may be too low and not utilizing all potential heat absorption/rejection capacity of HX and/or IC (unlikely)
Temps too similar: pump flow too high and/or HX/IC maxed out in current configuration for current blower heat output

Basically it boils down to getting the baddest intercooler and heat exchanger you can and tuning your pump flow for the capability of both working together. What I would do is get those two sensors rigged in and get some data on it. Then figure out the real world relative efficiencies of the IC and HX under various boost levels (as best you can). Compare the sensor temps to each other, hot side to IAT, and cool side to ambient. If hot side temp is very close to IAT, or at least a smaller difference than cool side vs ambient, then you can probably stand to run a higher flow rate pump. If cool side temp is closer to ambient than hot side is to IAT, you may need to turn the pump down or run a smaller pump (at that power level). A variable speed intercooler pump would be optimal as long as you can determine what speeds it needs to run at and when.
We could always model this in MATLAB or excel (gasp)...I could probably use a math refresher I don't really get to work on thermal problems too often. Im surprised Richard hasnt already done this??

Last edited by smokeshow; 10-21-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:45 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I did it in words in one of these threads, but no body uses the spreadsheets I make anyway

Quick Reply: A/W Intercooler - Coolant flow direction?