FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

A/W Intercooler - Coolant flow direction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 01:09 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I don't think I would make that statement. The spacers shouldn't really affect intercooler performance, but would allow you to use a larger one certainly. More plenum volume is very helpful with these as well.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:53 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

The problem with the spacer, and how it COULD have a negative impact is that it allows the blower to send air through concentrated spots on the intercooler. "hot spots" if you will. Being close to the floor forces the air to use more of the intercooler core by creating high pressure zones between the core and tub where there is more airflow. Obviously you will hit a wall with a tight gap as you start to drastically increase boost and airflow above what it is desngned for, but I get the sense other blowers are built with more space than the magnuson anyway... so benefits from the spacer will be minimal at best on other platforms. As I mentioned in my post I think the ideal space for our power range is about .700". Some of the Magnuson engineers would have to chime in on that one.

I would guess Kenny's problem is a function of a lack of water flow all the way through the core as he has mentioned, along with a "hot spot" of airflow, and lack of IC core thickness. I would be thinking of ways to keep the IC core at about .700" off the floor as mentioned, looking for at least a 3" core with good water flow, and spacing the blower above the IC to make sure the air has an easy path of using the entire core.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

The KB has a very tight ceiling above the IC with a ~5x5 compressor discharge window at the front of the manifold. I see how Rob's (and Magnuson's) theory could be plausible. My coolant in/out fittings are in the rear of the IC. Therefore my concentrated "hot spot" would be on the opposite end of the IC from my proposed minimal coolant flow, thus exacerbating the issue.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 218 Likes on 147 Posts

you have seen that KB now sells an upgraded/larger intercooler right?

also, you might try calling Turnkey Engine Supply. from what I understand, they offer a few aftermarket upgrades to the kenne bell blowers. they possibly have the most data/information on Kenne bell blowers set up to LSx engines (theres not much of it out there). they might have an exact answer to cure your heat issues.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

I was just looking at that bigun/super high density intercooler for the Camaros. I need to call KB and see if it will fit my upper manifold (ic nipple and bolt spacing). However, looking at their price list, the upgraded ic for the Mustang is $999. Seems a little steep. I will give TurnKey a look too, thanks.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:32 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

999 is not a bad price in an air to water Intercooler that fits and bolts up.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 218 Likes on 147 Posts

do you think the liquid cooled conversion would help any on the IAT's? or is it more for blower longevity?
Old 10-19-2016, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

As I understand it, the lc is primarily to cool the case and front drive for better oil, seal and bearing life. A cooler case could reduce heat transfer to the incoming air but I doubt it is significant with how fast the air is moving thru the case/rotors. The cost/benefit is not there for me to even consider it. That's why I am having a hard time justifying the coolant system upgrades. Its looking like it will cost around $2K to get this thing working like it should.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
Its looking like it will cost around $2K to get this thing working like it should.
Does that mean a different blower could be in the future??
Old 10-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
As I understand it, the lc is primarily to cool the case and front drive for better oil, seal and bearing life. A cooler case could reduce heat transfer to the incoming air but I doubt it is significant with how fast the air is moving thru the case/rotors. The cost/benefit is not there for me to even consider it. That's why I am having a hard time justifying the coolant system upgrades. Its looking like it will cost around $2K to get this thing working like it should.
So what's the air temps and boost you are running at?

Quick Reply: A/W Intercooler - Coolant flow direction?