FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

turbo or blower?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

My .02.....

For any significant amount of boost, you're going to need to gap the rings and run meth.

Having had a Whipple, the off idle torque is nuts. It pulled really really strong to redline.

Mine made 9psi at 2k. About 485-500ftlb torque at the tires.

A turbo, is going to have to spool a little to make boost, which makes power. Some will say you can run a smaller turbo to make it spool sooner or run a looser converter that stalls at around 3500rpm.

With either one, you're almost guaranteed to need Some sort of fuel mods and a torque converter.

Both have their pros and cons. Be realistic with how you drive everyday, then make a decision.

Plenty of people run both around here. If I were to do it again, I'd still do a Whipple, Maggie, etc.

As for burning stuff up, wrap your a.c. lines and get a turbo blanket, problem solved.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Lots of great advice here and they've all been there especially Atomic or Blown06. To get 10's or even 11.20's better plan on a quality turbo setup such as above unless you want to spray to supplement. I think you'll be happier. Key word, quality...our sponsors.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Had my trick performance kit installed for almost a year now. Never melted anything, have not really had any issues with the kit itself. My only problems have been with tuning. Only running 8#. Have 86 pontiac fiero that i put a supercharged 3.8 in a couple years ago and have had no issues SC. My guess is as long as you go with quality products you really should not have reliability issues until you start pushing things to their limit. I would say supercharged is more fun playing around town in. Turbo is alot more fun everywhere else. Good luck deciding just pick the one you think will be more fun and buy quality.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:35 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Pretty sure Kyle has had more setups than me, but he is a little biased
Old 01-11-2017, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
I add it up, I've had 8 different turbos on my truck and 2 blowers over the years. The compound setup with both a T6 S480 turbo feeding a TVS1900 and a KB 2.8 blower all by itself. The KB was a LOT of fun! lol 17psi at the stomp of the gas. But not as fast as the S475 and 6L I have now when it's turned up though.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:17 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

You started this thread with a very friendly daily with no maintenance and comfortably driving maybe around 600 horsepower.

Now you want a mid 10 second forced induction daily driver. Mid 10's in a full weight daily driven truck is probably gonna take at least 750-800 rwhp. At that level, it really doesn't matter too much how you make the power......it's all gonna be expensive and moody.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.....pick two cause it is practically impossible to have all three.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

guys i never said any thing about cheap! only thing i did say was a turbo setup "might" be "cheaper" I totally understand that when my foots to the floor i can brake things! if i was in it and blew something up i'm ok with that i go true that with my car thats NOT what i'm asking about

i've blew up and broke crap on my zo6 it sucks but never upset me i was the one pushing things and found the weak link, my 87 silverado tho just putting it around something would go wrong and i'd get stuck or it wouldn't start need this or that it got to the point in the last 5 years of owning it i only put maybe 200 miles cause i could not depend on it so it just sat my wife was in it twice in 11 years of owning it as to where my zo6 if we're going someplace thats what we take during the summer (knock on wood) it fires right up and ready for whatever i want to do (NA) the nitrous tho has found a weak link, needs a clutch lol

so yeah i'm looking for 600+ wheel with a 6.2L FI but want to be able to take my wife to dinner, go to a car meet or whatever

what i am asking about is the daily drivability and dependability when i'm NOT @ WOT,

i have HPtuners and was thinking i can have a daily tune and a brake stuff tune

Last edited by stroker87; 01-12-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
You started this thread with a very friendly daily with no maintenance and comfortably driving maybe around 600 horsepower.

Now you want a mid 10 second forced induction daily driver. Mid 10's in a full weight daily driven truck is probably gonna take at least 750-800 rwhp. At that level, it really doesn't matter too much how you make the power......it's all gonna be expensive and moody.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.....pick two cause it is practically impossible to have all three.
Spot on here.... that being said MAGGIE FTW!!!
Old 01-12-2017, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
I wasn't clear as I was mainly referring to track times. I think Kyle has built and sold more really fast setups than anyone here probably. If you just have to go fast, go Kyle lol.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stroker87
guys i never said any thing about cheap! only thing i did say was a turbo setup "might" be "cheaper" I totally understand that when my foots to the floor i can brake things! if i was in it and blew something up i'm ok with that i go true that with my car thats NOT what i'm asking about

i've blew up and broke crap on my zo6 it sucks but never upset me i was the one pushing things and found the weak link, my 87 silverado tho just putting it around something would go wrong and i'd get stuck or it wouldn't start need this or that it got to the point in the last 5 years of owning it i only put maybe 200 miles cause i could not depend on it so it just sat my wife was in it twice in 11 years of owning it as to where my zo6 if we're going someplace thats what we take during the summer (knock on wood) it fires right up and ready for whatever i want to do (NA) the nitrous tho has found a weak link, needs a clutch lol

so yeah i'm looking for 600+ wheel with a 6.2L FI but want to be able to take my wife to dinner, go to a car meet or whatever

what i am asking about is the daily drivability and dependability when i'm NOT @ WOT,

i have HPtuners and was thinking i can have a daily tune and a brake stuff tune
Go turbo then. When your on your way to dinner with the wife stay out of boost. When ready to play get on it. I think 600hp would be pretty reliable since your starting with a 6.2 that is already 400ish hp at the engine. There are quite a few guys with turbo 5.3 DD in the 500-600hp range that are reliable.

You can buy another truck and have both