FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

turbo or blower?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

from a cost stand point i think once its all said and done turbo "might" be a little cheaper but TVSxxxx is simpler to install other then that i'm sill lost lol

every time i ask some one i get 10 reasons no to go turbo then ask some one else i get 10 reasons not to go blower
Old 01-11-2017, 11:57 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Could always build a NA big inch 8000rpm screamer lol would get terrible gas mileage but be cool
Old 01-11-2017, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

took me a while to get use to 6800rpm with my z06 lol my brain kept telling me shift shift at 6k, @ 8k would fry to many brain cells LoL!
Old 01-11-2017, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Also what rpm do you spend most of your driving? The turbo has a hell of a top end charge but compared to a PD blower is soggy on the low end. Still can be good performance though as can a PC. I had very little trouble with turbo but it did happen on occasion. Just requires checking **** more often. My Whipple I just turn the key and drive. The low end makes it feel much more powerful than it is and shooting through traffic is instant. Its like whatever my will is, it happens and right now. My turbo with the converter it required was lazy at every stoplight unless I got into the throttle pretty good then it was hang on. Whipple is stock converter although I do have a 6l80. I just prefer driving in the 1500-3k range on a daily basis with still great just not as great performance as a snail setup. 600 can be had with any of these but 700 is a lot tougher with a PD for daily use.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Also what rpm do you spend most of your driving? The turbo has a hell of a top end charge but compared to a PD blower is soggy on the low end. Still can be good performance though as can a PC. I had very little trouble with turbo but it did happen on occasion. Just requires checking **** more often. My Whipple I just turn the key and drive. The low end makes it feel much more powerful than it is and shooting through traffic is instant. Its like whatever my will is, it happens and right now. My turbo with the converter it required was lazy at every stoplight unless I got into the throttle pretty good then it was hang on. Whipple is stock converter although I do have a 6l80. I just prefer driving in the 1500-3k range on a daily basis with still great just not as great performance as a snail setup. 600 can be had with any of these but 700 is a lot tougher with a PD for daily use.
85% of the time like you mostly in the idle to 3k rpm range daily driving, i'm not always beating on my cars but if something pulls on the side of me that actually has some power i'm ready (not a mini van or kia)

my 01 zo6 right now makes 475/415 wheel NA and has enough power to keep in front of 90% of whats on the road for the other 10% i have nitrous 600/599 wheel have not tracked it with the nitrous but NA best 11.21 @ 122mph 1.50 60ft, on spray i pull from my cousins stock c7 zo6 my other cousin has a modded 13 gt500 740+ wheel and we are door to door

with that said i'd like this truck to have the same performance or close to it i'd love to have a 10.50 1/4 mile truck but high 10's low 11's i'd still be happy (at least i'm telling myself that) but i want it to be reliable, i'm not one to let something sit in the garage my car is my daily driver summer time and was built with that in mind when picking a cam, clutch and exhaust

i don't mind extra maintenance but i dont want to be fixing the same thing 3 times a month, so you guys with turbo's how often are you doing maintenance and whats the biggest problems your having?

i really want a turbo but just worried about it being a headache
Old 01-11-2017, 03:00 PM
I have a gauge for that

If I DD a turbo truck I would make sure to install a good oil cooler, and change the oil every 3000 miles or 2 months, this is the biggest thing. Obviously you have to take steps to deal with the heat that will be there in terms of routing stuff and heat shielding, but this is usually a 1 time deal.

At the latest inspect seals, gaskets, hot pipe welded joints, and connection points every couple months for leaks or burns. The heat cycling on turbo setups is quite a bit more punishing for the the hotside especially.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i usually do oil changes every 2600 to 3000 miles or before i go to the strip so thats no big deal, inspecting under the hood is not a big deal either

i guess maybe i'm asking the question wrong....

is there enough room under the hood for a turbo to be installed far enough away from every thing not to burn stuff up (once every thing is move or rerouted) i'm keeping a/c
Old 01-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
If I DD a turbo truck I would make sure to install a good oil cooler, and change the oil every 3000 miles or 2 months, this is the biggest thing. Obviously you have to take steps to deal with the heat that will be there in terms of routing stuff and heat shielding, but this is usually a 1 time deal.

At the latest inspect seals, gaskets, hot pipe welded joints, and connection points every couple months for leaks or burns. The heat cycling on turbo setups is quite a bit more punishing for the the hotside especially.
do you still have the same issue if it's a water cooled turbo?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:16 PM
I have a gauge for that

Originally Posted by stroker87
i usually do oil changes every 2600 to 3000 miles or before i go to the strip so thats no big deal, inspecting under the hood is not a big deal either

i guess maybe i'm asking the question wrong....

is there enough room under the hood for a turbo to be installed far enough away from every thing not to burn stuff up (once every thing is move or rerouted) i'm keeping a/c
Yea of course, if you can deal with the more maintenance aspect then go ahead and get a baby turbo that spools fast and pretty much acts like a blower. Wont be "instant" boost but half a second is pretty much instant. It wont have the top end, but it will drive good and still make the turbo noises.

Originally Posted by A4edwin
do you still have the same issue if it's a water cooled turbo?
I think the watercooled turbos are pretty gimmicky how they are used. The Comp ones anyway have that "feature" because their bearing design sucks and they would fry without them, and when you would really benefit is when you turn the engine off to cool it down faster to prevent coaking on the bearings but not many people use an electric pump with it so that doesnt work either. And comp turbos suck.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by stroker87
85% of the time like you mostly in the idle to 3k rpm range daily driving, i'm not always beating on my cars but if something pulls on the side of me that actually has some power i'm ready (not a mini van or kia)

my 01 zo6 right now makes 475/415 wheel NA and has enough power to keep in front of 90% of whats on the road for the other 10% i have nitrous 600/599 wheel have not tracked it with the nitrous but NA best 11.21 @ 122mph 1.50 60ft, on spray i pull from my cousins stock c7 zo6 my other cousin has a modded 13 gt500 740+ wheel and we are door to door

with that said i'd like this truck to have the same performance or close to it i'd love to have a 10.50 1/4 mile truck but high 10's low 11's i'd still be happy (at least i'm telling myself that) but i want it to be reliable, i'm not one to let something sit in the garage my car is my daily driver summer time and was built with that in mind when picking a cam, clutch and exhaust

i don't mind extra maintenance but i dont want to be fixing the same thing 3 times a month, so you guys with turbo's how often are you doing maintenance and whats the biggest problems your having?

i really want a turbo but just worried about it being a headache
You're gonna have a hard time getting that kind of performance out of blower alone without going all out with at least a 2300, 8 rib drive ect. So your going to have a chuck of change in it. Or spray it too.

Blowers are a lot of fun, I probably like them more for a 5-600hp daily then a turbo, but for the kind of number you're wanting your really gonna need a turbo.

Coming from a guy who dailys a turbo, you're way overthinking the maintenance and melting stuff issues. I don't have any of those kind of problems.