FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Trick turbo installation and review

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 03:06 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmymax
Ok so maybe wait on a converter until I do some research on switching to 4 speed. Do them both at the same time

Never considered this will look into it. In 2 months I will have had the truck 7 years it currently has 66,000 miles. So I do a little under 10,000 a year. I am pretty sure I have 3.73. Is a gear swap somthing the average guy can do?
Depending on set. It is trickier then a convertor.
There is depths and clearances that must be met.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I'd take the 6 Speed as far as you can. They are plenty strong in stock form and should be able to hold some good power with a dialed in transmission tune.

The one downside is the weight of the trucks, the 6L80/6L90 in the cars can take quiet the beating because they are much lighter.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

If I do an earlier model with turbo and I will again some day I will be doing a 4l80 with a 3k converter and maybe even a 2.75 1.57 gear set unless its really high horsepower then it wouldn't matter. They also make a 2.97 for a really fat pig. 3.73 if higher power or 4.10's if not. Absolutely love the 6l for later model but its pricey and I would never go through the bs of adapting it to make it work.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Is this cam any good for a turbo setup? Guessing its more for top end. Its the gm performance cam that is in my engine with the melted piston. Going to start rebuilding soon just wondering if the cam might work it only has about 8,000 miles on it. Going to try and take the block to a 5.7 ill see what the shop has to say about it. If this cam is not worth reusing ill probably go with the triple 12 unless anyone has better option.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Don't see the lobe center angle but if its fairly wide like 112 or above and as a gm cam it probably is I see no problem. I know there are better cams but I used an LS6 in my turbo and it sure worked well. Used a Lingenfelter in another. A turbo doesn't care all that much about the cam unless its an all out effort. Sure has been a long road for you man. I feel your pain bc of my past builds. Finally happy on my end.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Don't see the lobe center angle but if its fairly wide like 112 or above and as a gm cam it probably is I see no problem. I know there are better cams but I used an LS6 in my turbo and it sure worked well. Used a Lingenfelter in another. A turbo doesn't care all that much about the cam unless its an all out effort. Sure has been a long road for you man. I feel your pain bc of my past builds. Finally happy on my end.
I don't really understand cam numbers even after researching some. I figure if this cam is decent i will use it. If a triple 12 or similar will be a major improvement i would invest in it. Going to have atomic help with the tune and hopefully get the truck closer to my original goals. So hopefully soon it will all be worth it.

Glad you got your truck running the way you want. Bet it was all worth it now!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd sell that cam and just get the triple 12 from Jarrett. That cam had a really low lift and that will hurt you the most.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

man i just read this entire thread over the last couple of hours. it was like reading a book start to finish. everything was going so good, i could feel the excitement of throwing a snail in the truck to having to swap the motor due to bad tuning to not being able to fully dial that thing in.. i am just about to start my stage 3 install once trick sends me their kit i just purchased in basically the exact same application.. have you figured anything out about the lean issue?
Old 01-29-2017, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

I have not figured it out yet. I am going to purchase a tune from atomic (AFP). Just waiting to see if he becomes a hp tuner dealer. I think he will take the time to get the truck running as best as possible via e-mail tuning. I am ready to get the boost turned up and have some fun. Its been a year since I started this project and am not happy with my power level.

Good luck with your build. No doubt you will be happy with your trick kit. The only thing you can learn from my thread is tuning is everything! Only use a well-known tuner.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

I am going to install a 2500 stall in my truck and also contemplating installing a truetrac. Now i am wondering if I should change gears and wheel tire combo while I am at it. There seems to be some math behind figuring this out but dont get it. I want to get it right the first time. Current tire size forgot but they are the equivalent of a 33 but narrow and 10 ply on 18" wheels. Gears thought I had 3.73 but i was wrong they are 3.42.

What do you think would be the optimum gear and tire combo?
09 crew cab 4x4 DD but probably only for another year. Will be getting a 5.7 in the near future sticking with the 6 speed for now. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Quick Reply: Trick turbo installation and review