FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Trick turbo installation and review

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Trick turbo installation and review

I am starting this thread to give an honest review of the trick performance stage 2 turbo kit. I will try and be as thorough as possible. I rely heavily on peoples reviews when taking on projects like this one that are completely foreign to me. So I will do my part and update this thread as I go. This will be long winded for sure.

I will start with the kit selection. on3performance is by far the cheapest kit available and also has the most negative reviews of any kit I could find. So I decided to spend the extra money and get a higher quality kit and hopefully have zero issues with parts quality and performance. I checked into a few kits but narrowed it down to Trick Performance and KB racing they both have good reviews for quality and customer service. Both responded to e-mail quickly and answered most of my questions. I went with trick simply because they could have the kit to me faster. No other reason really.

I ordered the kit on 1/18/16 over the phone was told I would receive the kit in 2 weeks it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow 2/9/16. So 3 weeks not 2 but I was kept informed of the progress through text messages. Greatly appreciated! I have contacted Trick with questions over the last few weeks on this forum, e-mail, and text. I was always answered quickly. That's an A+ in my book he already had my money could easily blow me off like so many others would. That's if for now kit will be here tomorrow and will update.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

UPS just dropped off the cold side. Here are a few pics of what I got. I will look it over and let you know what I think of the quality. Remember I have no turbo experience so I will do my best.
Attached Thumbnails Trick turbo installation and review-trick-turbo-kit-001.jpg   Trick turbo installation and review-trick-turbo-kit-002.jpg   Trick turbo installation and review-trick-turbo-kit-003.jpg   Trick turbo installation and review-trick-turbo-kit-004.jpg  
Old 02-08-2016, 02:56 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2016, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

I am a little disappointed this is the kind of thing I thought would be avoided by purchasing the more expensive kit. I believe that this should be an airtight weld for the blow off valve. Hard to see in the picture but there is a large gap where the weld was not finished and can see into the pipe. The first pic is just the pipe in general then a close up. I will contact trick and see what my options are.
Attached Thumbnails Trick turbo installation and review-trick-turbo-kit-006.jpg   Trick turbo installation and review-trick-turbo-kit-005.jpg  
Old 02-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Tcehing In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, you're going to want that welded all the way around.

What brand turbo is that?
Old 02-08-2016, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Atomic
Good luck!
Thank you I will need it.

Originally Posted by beaner
Yeah, you're going to want that welded all the way around.

What brand turbo is that?
Trick referred to it as house brand when I asked in an email
Model TRB-T70-P96 also has M24 on it. Not sure if that tells you anything.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:54 PM
I have a gauge for that

Yea that should be welded all the way around.

Looks like a CXRacing little turbo, 61mm. Im guessing you have a 4/8 or 5.3? It should spool very fast and make 400-450hp or so.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

I sent Trick a text with a picture of the part and they responded in just a few minutes. Told me to send it back and they will send a replacement. Of course now you have to wait for them to receive the old one then wait for the replacement to be sent out. At least another week or 2. Nope! replacement is being sent immediately and will reimburse my shipping cost. That's great service!

Trick performance gets another A+ for service and guarantee of there product. The fact it was missed in the first place not a big deal sh*t happens and they are taking care of it like I would expect.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Atomic
Yea that should be welded all the way around.

Looks like a CXRacing little turbo, 61mm. Im guessing you have a 4/8 or 5.3? It should spool very fast and make 400-450hp or so.
I have a 5.3 my goal was somewhere between 450 500 hp so sounds like a good fit for me. This is from the website "Kits comes with a 70mm turbo*, standard. Good for 650+HP to the ground"
Old 02-08-2016, 04:13 PM
I have a gauge for that

Ill let you and Rick work out the details on that one, but good luck getting 650hp from that little guy. A precision 70mm (which is the standard turbo with the stage 2 kits, I think) sure, but not the house turbo you have there.

Quick Reply: Trick turbo installation and review