FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

TPP Turbo kit install/build thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPP Turbo kit install/build thread!

Well we finally started on the Trick Performance Products turbo kit install, all work is being done by J&S Performance and Tuning in Aurora, CO. Truck has a stock bottom end 4.8l, 04 LS6 cam/springs, LS6 heads shaved .020, TSP push rods, comp double roller, ARP head bolts and converted to a non EGR 05 intake manifold, and we will be converting to a 4 point steam vent setup and adding a LS6 Valley cover with a catch can of some sort. We got the full bolt in kit from TPP with a Magnum 72mm turbo, so far install is going good! I do need some pics of how the intercooler mounts though, seems like the top of the intercooler hits the radiator support before the included L brackets touch the frame? here are some mock up pics to start with, we did get the turbo manifold Ceramic coated and we plan on wrapping the down pipe and cross over with DEI Titanium heat wrap. From what i've seen on here it should be a runner ! It will be running on a J&S/Zippy 2 Bar SD tune once finished! I will be waiting for the 4l60e to take a crap lol, already have a 2wd 05 4l80e being gone though by J&S also just waiting on some parts and money lol, planning on doing a mild build: red eagle alto's, HD2 kit and a deep pan with 4l85e input/output shafts.....

Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

DO NOT buy the titanium wrap if you haven't already. The stuff is ****, just go with the regular old DEI wrap. I learned the hard way. Also, I would recommend going ahead and wrapping the log as well to help out with temps. The wrap really makes a difference. What turbo blanket is that? It looks as if you are going to have to lose the oil fill neck? It should definitely be a runner, and good call on the 2-bar SD Tune.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
DO NOT buy the titanium wrap if you haven't already. The stuff is ****, just go with the regular old DEI wrap. I learned the hard way. Also, I would recommend going ahead and wrapping the log as well to help out with temps. The wrap really makes a difference. What turbo blanket is that? It looks as if you are going to have to lose the oil fill neck? It should definitely be a runner, and good call on the 2-bar SD Tune.
Haven't bought the wrap yet, was gonna go get some today, what problems did you have with it? Thanks for the heads up! Its a blanket that trick threw in for an extra 60 or 70 bucks, fits pretty nice. The oil neck is already gone and i have an aluminum oil cap on the way. Gonna try the manifold un wrapped for the moment and see how well it does with the coating?? Need to get some fiberglass heat shields for the plug wires too! Also plan on powder coating the valve covers and turbo housing crinkle red and the IC pipes gloss black and then i'll move the BOV up top and run a red Tial BOV.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kit install is coming out nicely, were also doing the large 05 radiator/e-fan swap as well!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by resurrection2000
Haven't bought the wrap yet, was gonna go get some today, what problems did you have with it? Thanks for the heads up! Its a blanket that trick threw in for an extra 60 or 70 bucks, fits pretty nice. The oil neck is already gone and i have an aluminum oil cap on the way. Gonna try the manifold un wrapped for the moment and see how well it does with the coating?? Need to get some fiberglass heat shields for the plug wires too! Also plan on powder coating the valve covers and turbo housing crinkle red and the IC pipes gloss black and then i'll move the BOV up top and run a red Tial BOV.
I had an o2 sensor weld itself to the bung on my crossover and was feeling lazy at the time so I just had my local shop braze a new bung in the crossover. I had only had the wrap on for a few months, and when I went to pull it down so they could install the bung it literally disintegrated in my hands. On top of that the fiberglass dust from handling it is terrible. The old school DEI is what I used on my DP and it is much better to work with and tougher to boot. All my hot parts are ceramic coated but I went ahead and wrapped them as well. The coating will allow the heat to dissipate better, but with a turbo its best to retain as much heat as possible, which helps minimize spool time. Also it will keep things around the log much, much cooler, which is the reason I did mine. My underhood temps would be alot higher had I not. I had to do the covers for the plug wires on that side as well, they are practically resting on the log in places. You will love the sound of that Tial
Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

We got the down pipe wrapped, i'll get the cross over done tomorrow!

Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice tool box. : )
Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lglowe
Nice tool box. : )
Thanks lol!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

I predict the 60e not making it to June

Your truck is looking good man. How much boost do you plan on running? If I was you I would weld another V-band flange on the down pipe. I've had mine off at least 3 times in the past year.

Quick Reply: TPP Turbo kit install/build thread!