FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Rear mount 3/4 ton

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 02:11 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear mount 3/4 ton

Looking for any input on turbo sizing and see what budget ideas anyone has. I have a fresh LQ4 in my 2004 3/4 ton with a hotcam. It ties ok but I want more. I figure 5-7 pounds should work. I want to rear mount a single and use a dedicated oil system for it that will be mounted under the bed as well.

Any ideas for a snail that may spool by 3000 but not have a issue turning 6600 RPM? Not sure where to go on the turbo size since I have never tried to put something together that will come in quick and not need to put out 20 pounds.

Also wondering if I can get away with not using a innercooler at such low levels and being rear mounted.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

7-8psi you won't need an Intercooler.

Self contained oil system. You will need a great pump, heat exchabger, fan and lots of air flow. That oil over time is gonna get very hot.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:57 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. One guy said I would need a innercooler due to the head when towing. I may get a long short bastard and just have it in line with the charge side. Maybe a duct to move some air across it while moving.

I gotta look up the oil pump the rear mount guys are using. I'm assuming some thinner oil for the turbo is fine. Was going to run it through a trans cooler with a single fan pulling air across it.

I think I may take your advise and try it without a innercooler just to SE ehow it does. If IAT won't stay low enough, I'll adddress the issue then.