FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

PCV and MAF on turbo build?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
I know you are trying to sell a product here and thats cool. I'm not in anyway trying to **** on that. I'm just voicing my opinion on how things could be better done is all.
how much harm is it really doing to the motor? The pcv system has been on just about everything I have owned. Including a Tacoma with 235000 miles and a pathfinder with just under 300000 miles. No engine work to either and still running strong when I sold them. My point is what harm is being done? If it was harmful wouldn't we be seeing early engine failure on all vehicles with a pcv system? Or is it harmful in some other manner? Would like to know so I can make an informed decision. If had to guess I would say in the pcv system early years it probably did more harm then good but now it probably works well enough without doing any harm to an engine if any at all.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:32 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

A stock use type of setup you will probably never notice it, but when you add on turbos or blowers or nitrous and start making double the stock cylinder pressure then things like oily valves and ingesting garbage tend to matter a lot more.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

yes. plus you are adding hot air to the intake charge which can be an issue in boosted applications. i also think i read somewhere the introduction of oil vapors actually lowers your AFR.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
A stock use type of setup you will probably never notice it, but when you add on turbos or blowers or nitrous and start making double the stock cylinder pressure then things like oily valves and ingesting garbage tend to matter a lot more.
That makes sense. So maybe I will leave mine disconnected and route the can somewhere I cannot smell it.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:47 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmymax
how much harm is it really doing to the motor? The pcv system has been on just about everything I have owned. Including a Tacoma with 235000 miles and a pathfinder with just under 300000 miles. No engine work to either and still running strong when I sold them. My point is what harm is being done? If it was harmful wouldn't we be seeing early engine failure on all vehicles with a pcv system? Or is it harmful in some other manner? Would like to know so I can make an informed decision. If had to guess I would say in the pcv system early years it probably did more harm then good but now it probably works well enough without doing any harm to an engine if any at all.

Originally Posted by Atomic

In regards to a gas motor that you don't hot rod, you probably won't notice it.

I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the people on this or any other hot rod forum have seen in person or in a picture what an ls motor looks like when you remove the intake manifold after it has been run for 80-100k miles stock. The intake ports and valves are almost always caked up with burnt oil residue to the point that you can't even see any aluminum. As I said above, in a stock situation, no big deal. It's when you start hot rodding that it becomes an issue because you will run into knock earlier than someone with a cleaned intake/heads and not running a pcv system anymore.

What I have hi lighted above is the point I'm trying to make. Bone stock **** very rarely sees much WOT and when it does, the factory has **** built into the tune up so that it won't rattle itself to death while ingesting the polluted intake charge. So: Stock = Fine, Hot Rod = Clean your **** up. lol
Old 12-29-2016, 06:05 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

That's why I would put a catch can on.
To catch the oily/dirty air.
Most street trucks spend more time cruising then at WOT.

Even none PCV. I would still run a catch can.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:52 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Catch cans......check.

One for each side feed by -12 lines coming off each valve cover. Can't find a pic of the one on the driver side.

Name:  IMG_1860_zps721f3038.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  2.08 MB