FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

PCV and MAF on turbo build?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV and MAF on turbo build?

Talking to tuner at Black Bear about base tune to get me started on turbo install. He voiced some concerns about keeping both PCV and MAF, stating it "will result in significant amounts of unmetered air entering the engine at varying rates. The PCV system must be a closed loop system utilizing metered, unboosted air on the clean (passenger) side, which is next to impossible with a turbo. It is *always* an issue with a MAF sensor on a turbo. Check valve often fails at keeping metered air out of the crank case in boost as well."

Have read a bunch of threads on PCV, catch cans, etc and thought many here have kept both... am I wrong?

I'm not looking to make a monster build, maybe only a concern at higher boost?
Old 11-29-2016, 01:13 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

The problem is on a FI setup you will create a lot of blowby and crankcase pressure that needs to be vented, and you really dont want oil getting back into the intake. The easiest solution is to run a vented can to let the air go out. The problem is this air is not metered by the MAF since it just comes in through a filter so your fueling is wrong. There are catch cans that have a bunch of check valves that supposedly work with boost, but I prefer to just go to a vented can and elimate the MAF if you are at that point already. if the check valve fails closed, you will blow out seals and the dipstick under moderate boost.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have BBP tune on my truck they had me remove the pcv system but not the MAF senor. Wonder why they did not recommend the same thing for me. I have both valve covers vented to a catch can with the check valves removed. If you are getting rid of the MAF does that mean it will be SD tune?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmymax
I have BBP tune on my truck they had me remove the pcv system but not the MAF senor. Wonder why they did not recommend the same thing for me. I have both valve covers vented to a catch can with the check valves removed. If you are getting rid of the MAF does that mean it will be SD tune?
Only copied part of the conversation... They were suggesting that if I wanted to keep the MAF, that I remove the PCV.
Didn't ask, but assumed from conversation, that if I wanted to keep PCV, I would have to go with SD tune.

Any adverse effects from PCV removal? Smells or grime in the engine bay? Is it a daily driver for you?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Lots of trucks here are tuned maf with PCV and don't have any issues.
ive been driving my 03 set up like this no issues.
The 2010 camaro, 2015 truck we set up here same thing no issues
Reported back.

Btw
We now offer both PCV and none PCV catch cans.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Any adverse effects from PCV removal? Smells or grime in the engine bay? Is it a daily driver for you?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is my daily driver. No mess the catch can collects it. The smell is very noticable at stoplights but not while driving.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TrickTurbo
Lots of trucks here are tuned maf with PCV and don't have any issues.
ive been driving my 03 set up like this no issues.
The 2010 camaro, 2015 truck we set up here same thing no issues
Reported back.

Btw
We now offer both PCV and none PCV catch cans.
My truck was originally tuned with the pcv system. I had it setup like you recommended. I kept getting a p0174 and p0171 code and BBP said it was because the pcv system was allowing unmetered air in. That is why I removed it but I still have the codes.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:59 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmymax
My truck was originally tuned with the pcv system. I had it setup like you recommended. I kept getting a p0174 and p0171 code and BBP said it was because the pcv system was allowing unmetered air in. That is why I removed it but I still have the codes.
Not sure about the codes.
But if the PCV was causing the codes and you removed the PCV. .
Then I would think codes would go away.
I'm
Not a tuner so not much help in that world. I can only relay what I see here. Wonder if it's certain pcms are more problematic then others????

As far as the smell you could route your cans top filter area under the truck.
That would move the smell out of the engine bay.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
The problem is on a FI setup you will create a lot of blowby and crankcase pressure that needs to be vented, and you really dont want oil getting back into the intake. The easiest solution is to run a vented can to let the air go out. The problem is this air is not metered by the MAF since it just comes in through a filter so your fueling is wrong. There are catch cans that have a bunch of check valves that supposedly work with boost, but I prefer to just go to a vented can and elimate the MAF if you are at that point already. if the check valve fails closed, you will blow out seals and the dipstick under moderate boost.
Guy knows what hes talking about!

Im running aftermarket maf, and i was having idling issues with the pcv system that i had. capped rear vents and open small nipple that is by fuel rail.

I wound up keeping stock pcv system, i put a breather filter on oil cap, and small nipple that i left open to vent out the gasses, i capped it once, and it blew out the dipstick. However, i still get a small tad bit of oil in the intake.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I run a mighty mouse solutions pcv can on my turbo 2010 with stock maf and have zero issues.