FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

NNBS Whipple Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NNBS Whipple Install

Continued from https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=469650

To follow up on my previous posts/thread, with the help of a local shop I picked up a new Whipple intercooled twin screw supercharger to put onto a 6.2L (L92) Sierra Denali AWD truck along with some other items. My biggest concern from the beginning was that these kits are new for the GM trucks and not something that was easy to find information on. I had fast responses from Whipple over the phone and by e-mail but the overall information they could provide on my specific application was slim to none. As the install took place and we spoke with Whipple more the impression that this was the first kit to be installed in this application began to seem much more applicable. I hope that this post can offer some valuable information and opinions to others trying to consider their options just as I did.

The TVS superchargers appear to control a lot of the market for the NNBS trucks and that in part was a reason for me to try out the Whipple. However, it still took a lot of convincing for me to give it a shot over competition that is very close to the OEM units used on the CTSV and other late model GM cars.
From the time the order was placed it took approximately 2 days for Whipple to get the kit together and their new 2.3L kit was in my hands along with some ARH headers and a Corsa Touring catback.
We started off with the headers and catback and surprisingly enough, this full exhaust system is more quite than the stock setup at initial startup and during idle. This made me a little unsure of what I thought about the new upgrades from the get go, but a quick push on the gas woke everything up nicely. The sound is very similar to what I have come accustomed to with the early model LS1 Camaros with headers and a Borla catback under acceleration. During cruising speeds the exhaust returns to being better than the stock system and just waits for a little more gas to open up the sound again.

Onto the important part! The new supercharger came as a VERY complete kit. I cannot stress this enough as I am still pleased with the ease of install that was provided in a purpose built 2.3L kit. There really was no modifications to make and only a single wire to solder into for the included MSD Fuel Pump Voltage Controller. If you have a flex-fuel vehicle, you won’t need to solder anything. It is 100% plug and play. The hoses come cut to correct length and pre formed to fit without a hitch, the wiring comes in already installed in a harness and looms with factory style connectors. Really, pull off your stock parts and bolt this on, plug in the hoses and wiring hardness, flash the new tune, and start having fun!

While the kit came with a Superchips tuner to flash in the new Whipple tune, the included 46lbs @ 58PSI injectors left me wishing they included something a little larger in order to have more room to grow.

Nonetheless, these injectors with the included MSD fuel voltage booster keep my fuel pressure in the upper 50’s anytime boost is being seen in the upper ranges.

Unfortunately I do not know how much boost I am creating at this time and I will need to update this thread in the coming weeks to provide the stock boost amount with my setup. Once I get the chance to confirm the AF ratios and boost PSI with the included tune I’ll get some track times. Then update with a custom tune and see how much things improve.
The next items on the list will be to pulley down as needed to get around 8PSI of boost from the Whipple and around the end of the year get the 6L80 beefed up by Circle D and get a custom convertor made for it. My goal here is not to build a race truck like some guys have, but to have a fun daily driver that I can enjoy at WOT and rely on being a comfortable and subtle street oriented truck that can still tow when needed.

I strongly encourage the guys local to the Houston area to check out Dilusi Motorsports for their installation needs and if anyone has any specific questions about who they are send me a PM and I’ll do what I can to answer or give you a contact number.

Thanks for reading! Next updates will be less words and more videos and stats.

Things to note with the install:
-The Corsa exhaust tips hang too low and need to be raised up higher in my opinion

-Relocate your ambient air temp sensors to in front of the aftercooler to keep an accurate reading

Last edited by bdubb; 10-16-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice write up, clean install.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's all good,
driving impressions???
Old 10-16-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
It's all good,
driving impressions???

My driving impressions of it are very good! It is a quite blower which I prefer and the power comes on very smooth and quickly. The tune could stand to be hashed out a little more as it has some surging right about 1800 to 2000 rpms or so where the blower is just starting to work a little I guess under very moderate cruising.

I think a good custom tune will work that out without much of an issue.

One of the nicer things is that the truck just hooks up and goes with the AWD and my heavy @ss wheels. Hopefully some videos will be up the first of November.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Lookin good man... my roush kit was a very clean install too, very complete kit as well... congrats man.. keep us posted... one thing, i see u still have the stock trans cooler, i have the 6l80e as well and went with a trucool 40k... keeps her real cool! Awaiting vids...
Old 10-16-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

sick writeup. makes me wanna boost my truck even more regardless of if its turbo, s/c, or the namebrand.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

I have been staying tuned on this kit since they anounced it in truckin several yrs ago, sucks it took so long and that I guess they decided not to release it for the 99-06 trucks but the tuner kit can easily be used for those trucks and I think that is good that you are breaking the norm dispite what everyone else on the webite says about whipple, looks bad as hell. I personally have seen what those blowers are capable of, like the one we installed on a 04 mustang cobra running high 11's with the heaton and first run down the track ran 10.30 third run broke both half shafts and they are easily upgraded!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Congrats, subscribed.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

so is this a whipple housing for eaton rotors? or is this a screw blower? actually compressing the air between the rotors?

looks real nice.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

so is this a whipple housing for eaton rotors? or is this a screw blower? actually compressing the air between the rotors?

looks real nice.

Quick Reply: NNBS Whipple Install