FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

LS Swap K5 blazer going turbo! 500whp goal, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Swap K5 blazer going turbo! 500whp goal, HELP!!

well guys i finished part 2 of my k5 build and its time to start art 3, which is forced induction! quick back ground.... 1990 k5 blazer.5.3 with ls6 cam and valve springs, 4l60e built to handle 500 hp, np241 tcase, heavy duty drive shafts with 1350 u joints, 14 bolt full float rear with 4.10 gears and 35" tires. my goal is to get as close to 500 wheel hp as possible, and if my calculations are correct, i have about 35% drive train loss, (shooting high) so i would need about 675 flywheel hp. i know it can be done with the right turbo setup so thats what im looking for. i know there is a lot of other builds out there bt here is where mine is different. i want all low end. i really could care less about up top, this truck wont be seeing speeds of over 100 mph so if it hit a wall there i wouldnt mind. i just wanna make it get there really freaking fast. my truck weighs in at 6500 lbs. so i need as much low end as possible.

im new to the turbo scene and im trying to learn as much as possible before i start buying parts. my budget is bout $3,500 in parts. i will fab all the rest.

my biggest concerns right now i routing the hot pipes. there is not a lot of room in my engine bay for those. ill post some pics sometime soon.

id like to use the truck manifolds backwards and flipped.

i know i have to do the fuel system as well but i have that covered.

im pretty damn sure i can fit a front mount intercooler behind the grill as well.

anybody have a good read on how to choose turbo or a good recommendation for a good turbo? i dont want the best but id like reliable...

here is the most recent pic i have of the engine bay for now.

Name:  20140222_110318_zps51e9aa3d.jpg
Views: 5151
Size:  185.5 KB

also, i have looked into a twin screw, but i have decided they are to expensive and wont give me the power i want.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why your K5 weigh in at 6500lbs? Stock the curb weight of a K5 is 4500-4800lbs...
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by N20zuki
Why your K5 weigh in at 6500lbs? Stock the curb weight of a K5 is 4500-4800lbs...
The weight comes from the bigger axles, steel front and rear bumpers, sliders, roof rack, seats, tool box, tools, wheels and tires, 30 gallon gas tank, a 5 gallon water can. The weight is when its fully loaded so all gas cans and stuff filled up. The exact weight is 6,320 lbs without me in it, 6,480 with me in it. Also, my k5 came fully loaded with power mirrors and window and stuff which adds more weight than a normal k5. Just the rims and tires alone are 550lbs.

Anyways, for a turbo, would a t4 spool quick? Or would I want a hybrid t3/t4? With an inlet of 70-76mm range? Im pretty new to turbos so im nkt exactly sure what I should be looking for....
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Something like an ON3 70mm would get the job done. You can change turbine housings to speed up or slow down spool up time. I had a MPT 70 w/.96 exh on my 5.3 and that was a fun street turbo because it lit up pretty quick.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get 500wheel through those heavy *** wheels and tires the on3 70 will have to be on full tilt. Are you also running a 14 bolt full floater? With a $3500 budget I wouldnt rule out a used tvs1900 or a procharger.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
Something like an ON3 70mm would get the job done. You can change turbine housings to speed up or slow down spool up time. I had a MPT 70 w/.96 exh on my 5.3 and that was a fun street turbo because it lit up pretty quick.
Thanks, ill look at it. Id really like something that started building boost around 2k rpms, and hit the peak by about 3500 rpms. Can I get close with this turbo?

Originally Posted by 1969x11
To get 500wheel through those heavy *** wheels and tires the on3 70 will have to be on full tilt. Are you also running a 14 bolt full floater? With a $3500 budget I wouldnt rule out a used tvs1900 or a procharger.
When you say full tilt you mean max boost psi right? I was planning on running 8 psi for day to day and then 12 when I want to have some fun. I am running a full float 14 bolt.

Ive been looking for a good tvs1900 but I havent seen one for sale in my area, also, I dont think it would reach my power goals without more supporting mods. Im not a fan of running a cyntrifical charger like pro charger or vortec, some of my buddies have them (ones got the vortec and the other the pro charger) and they seem to bd kinda finicky and loud (not the cool loud like sounds broken loud) and they are always pulling em off to rebuild or oil it or whatever.

Another thing against going supercharged is that AC bracket I have, I dont think a twin screw would fit because of it and finding a belt that will work with either one will be a a pain. I know turbo has its downsides to but its something I'd like to go for
Old 05-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

is this similar to what youare talking about? i couldnt find the exact one but this one seems pretty similar On 3 Performance 76mm Turbo Camaro LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 LSX Camaro Trans Am 6 0L 5 3L | eBay

also, am i right in thinking that typically the lower the ar exhaust the quicker the spool?
Old 05-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

i think that the c6 corvette manifolds will fit with my high mount AC... now i need to figure out my cross over pipe again
Name:  IMG_5465_zps93bae798.jpg
Views: 1667
Size:  116.0 KB

using the trick performance manifold would have been cake to run the crossover but i dont think it would have cleared the high mount AC

also i would rather not run my hot pipes through the engine bay... there already isnt very much room i dont need something else in the way.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ls brackets is now making a set of highmount brackets for the r4 compressor to work in conjunction with Tricks cast manifold. They have very good prices and are now site sponsers.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1969x11
Ls brackets is now making a set of highmount brackets for the r4 compressor to work in conjunction with Tricks cast manifold. They have very good prices and are now site sponsers.
I love you. Wow you just made my day! I have thier AC bracket but I dont think its the one for the turbo manifold... ill have to get on the phone with them and find out! That would make my life so much easier!

Do you knkw of anyone using the brackets with a turn set up right now?

Quick Reply: LS Swap K5 blazer going turbo! 500whp goal, HELP!!