FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Forced Induction and Towing

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced Induction and Towing

Looking to put some forced air into a silverado. But the truck will have some towing duties. Figure a 24 foot trailer with car and misc stuff. Truck is a AWD SS. I like the Livernoise kit but which is best for towing and one that wont melt or chew up the tranny. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

I have a whipple.When towing a boat i use the stock pulley.
Going up a 20 mile hill 90mph is no problem.

Last edited by dc96819; 02-21-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

I also have a Whipple and tow a 19' boat. The instantaneous torque is what you want/need for towing-the Whipple or Radix are the best for that particular application.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a new whipple owner i have a question here. I will be doing a small share of towing, not much really but i was wondering this...................It seems that at part throttle i am not really seeing any boost, not until i get half way or more into the pedal do i start to see it climb away from -20 up to say -5 or 0. Is the whipple helping anything out here? Or am i only going to see the benifits of the supercharger when in boost?
Old 02-22-2006, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Order 66
Looking to put some forced air into a silverado. But the truck will have some towing duties. Figure a 24 foot trailer with car and misc stuff. Truck is a AWD SS. I like the Livernoise kit but which is best for towing and one that wont melt or chew up the tranny. Thanks.
Jerry2500 uses his STS rig to tow, drop him a yell for the turbo angle. It is doable but requires a few mods like intercooling and possible meth injection to keep the EGT's down.
Linda, you should not see instant + boost at idle or part throttle. You can verify how much "boost" you are adding at small throttle openings by opening your bypass valve and seeing what your manifold pressure is without the SC assist.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Linda
As a new whipple owner i have a question here. I will be doing a small share of towing, not much really but i was wondering this...................It seems that at part throttle i am not really seeing any boost, not until i get half way or more into the pedal do i start to see it climb away from -20 up to say -5 or 0. Is the whipple helping anything out here? Or am i only going to see the benifits of the supercharger when in boost?
Going to a smaller pulley helps move the boost 'rise' further down the throttle position slope. IE, at 25% throttle: a 5PSI pulley will be only 25% of 5 PSI - 1.25 PSI, but a 11 PSI pulley will be at 2.75 PSI at that same throttle position. It's not exactly linear, but the effect is there. Although I have an 11 PSI pulley, I rarely ( ) ever am at WOT. Most of the time I am at 30-60% while taking hwy on-ramps or passing other folks. I had the same 'problem' with the stock 6 PSI pulley when I installed mine. You ALREADY want more, don'tcha??
Old 02-22-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CoonToot
Going to a smaller pulley helps move the boost 'rise' further down the throttle position slope. IE, at 25% throttle: a 5PSI pulley will be only 25% of 5 PSI - 1.25 PSI, but a 11 PSI pulley will be at 2.75 PSI at that same throttle position. It's not exactly linear, but the effect is there. Although I have an 11 PSI pulley, I rarely ( ) ever am at WOT. Most of the time I am at 30-60% while taking hwy on-ramps or passing other folks. I had the same 'problem' with the stock 6 PSI pulley when I installed mine. You ALREADY want more, don'tcha??
Increase Size Decrease Size
LMAO....well i dont want to commit to wanting more just yet. At least not until i get it all dyno tuned and get some miles on it. Just wondering if i am at part throttle (accelerating from no throttle to part throttle) if the whipple is helping me out or if its just like a natural aspirated engine? If i just give it a little gas i dont really notice the boost gauge move that much, might go from -20 up to -10 or -5......just trying to figure at what point the blower is contributing to the performance. The whole reason i asked, and to get back to the topic, is with this truck.......climbing a hill or passing on a mountain has never really been a challenge. Not even when towing a small load, its rare that it would even drop down a gear unless there is some moderate weight back there. So i was just wondering if when im towing, is the whipple helping me out at all if im not mashing the pedal more than say 50%? I get what your saying about a bigger pulley and that makes sense, but im gonna have to play with it a while first and put some miles on it before i start upgrading. So i will probably wait till Monday before i get it....
Old 02-22-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

The more i search the more i lean to the Radix. It seems more suitable for my needs. Thanks
Old 02-22-2006, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Benifits only in boost
Old 02-22-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Just wondering if i am at part throttle (accelerating from no throttle to part throttle) if the whipple is helping me out or if its just like a natural aspirated engine? If i just give it a little gas i dont really notice the boost gauge move that much, might go from -20 up to -10 or -5......just trying to figure at what point the blower is contributing to the performance.
What really is at work here is the bypass valve (BV) which is activated by vacuum / lack of vacuum. The BV is what allows the SC to draw very little power from the drive belt during periods of constant speed or cruising. When you get into it, say at 50% or more throttle, that's when the BV actually stops allowing the boosted air (the Whipple is ALWAYS compressing air) to recirculate back into the front side of the screws. The BV actually closes, which redirects the boosted air into the intake. It just takes a lot of pressure difference, from -20 to about 0 for it to be fully closed/activated. HTH.

Quick Reply: Forced Induction and Towing