FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Catch can and higher boost

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch can and higher boost

I know this has been beat to death. But the more I read, the more confused I am. Heres my setup and what I thought I was going to do. Tell me what you guys think?

03 408 s480. I ended up swapping the valve covers because I couldn't even get the oil fill cap out of the valve cover with the turbo blanket on the turbo. So now, I have a #8 fitting where the pcv valve was on the passenger side. Fit nicely. I am planning on ordering a vented pcv can from Mighty Mouse if he still has any, alone with the #8 adapter for the oil fill cap.

I had planned on running both valve covers to the can and then a line from in front of the turbo to the can. Basically always pulling vacuum on the crankcase except under boost.

Now I have had 3 different guys tell me that I need to have a way to get fresh air into the crankcase?? Is this true? If so, will a little filter on the pcv hole be enough? And will the single #8 off one valve cover pull enough of the pressure off the lower end?

My old setup was low boost and I had a filter on the oil fill, and then pulled pressure from the pcv hole to a non-vented catch can and then back to the intake. This worked great and pulled a lot of crap out, but I don't really want to run any of this back into my intake this time.

I know I am over thinking this, but I am finally ready to fire up my 2 year build. And I want it to be right. Let me know what you guys think?
-Justin
Old 06-30-2015, 01:39 AM
TECH Resident

When I had the procharger I was just running a non vented can with a line from the drivers side cover to the can, then out of the can to the intake, with a one way check valve in the line between the can and the intake so I wouldnt blow boost pressure back through the can. I never had anything make it passed the can and into the intake and never boosted the crank case either. I feel like it was vented well enough for my setup at least but Im sure theres a more optimal way to do it. I think the trick is not to over-think it too much, haha.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zachm89
When I had the procharger I was just running a non vented can with a line from the drivers side cover to the can, then out of the can to the intake, with a one way check valve in the line between the can and the intake
This is exactly how my old setup was, plus a breather on the oil fill.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you run the line before the turbo, it will not be pulling vacuum.

I run two separate catch cans. Each can is hooked to a line from the valve cover, and to each can. I then have the cans vented to atmosphere with a small filter on top of each can.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
If you run the line before the turbo, it will not be pulling vacuum.

I run two separate catch cans. Each can is hooked to a line from the valve cover, and to each can. I then have the cans vented to atmosphere with a small filter on top of each can.
I meant to run the line between the turbo and air filter. That would pull a vacuum.

So if your running two cans, one is to bring in fresh air and one is to take it out?
So basically you only have 1 line between each can and the motor.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want engine vacuum, you need to be after the throttle body.

I run 1 separate can off of each valve cover. Basically two systems. They do not run back to the engine, just vent to atmosphere. If I wanted to run them back to engine vacuum, I would have to put them to the intake manifold. I don't want that in my intake, so I just drain the catch can every once in a while and throw it out.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Mightymouse catch can hooked up to the driver vc and intake and then a line going from passenger vc to turbo air filter tube.

Functions completely as stock pcv and pulls vacuum on crankcase under boost.

The only downside is that it does suck a tiny amount of oil into the turbo compressor but it's nothing footer me even to bother with. An oil separator in the line would solve that issue.

This has worked up to 20 psi thus far
Old 06-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i never run anything back into motor in a boosted setup, if you feel you need vacuum then get a pump

line off of each valve cover into its own catchcan that has a breather on top for big power setups

lower power setups, tie each cover into a single catchcan...this can be done many ways and last 2 builds ive done i used a 3 way air manifold
Old 06-30-2015, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Do you need to have that vacuum on the crankcase? If you are already venting both valve covers why the need for the vacuum?

This is no big power setup. I am expecting around 650awhp but I am hoping for 750awhp.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Mightymouse catch can hooked up to the driver vc and intake and then a line going from passenger vc to turbo air filter tube.

Functions completely as stock pcv and pulls vacuum on crankcase under boost.

The only downside is that it does suck a tiny amount of oil into the turbo compressor but it's nothing footer me even to bother with. An oil separator in the line would solve that issue.

This has worked up to 20 psi thus far
I 100% agree

Quick Reply: Catch can and higher boost