FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Around 2,000 miles on my build now and going great. A few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Around 2,000 miles on my build now and going great. A few questions...

1. Crank case ventilation. I'm running 17psi and only have one breather set up on my passenger valve cover, just ran the line off the front to a small breather filter. On long pulls (15+ seconds at the dyno/road track) I am getting oil coming out of it and making a mess on top of my engine. I know I need to add another breather, what do you guys do? I don't want to run a catch can, then it's just one more thing to have to maintain. I still have stock PCV setup.

2. just recently I've started getting oil burning out of the exhaust after coasting to a stop. I've smelled it a few times before but just figured it was oil dripping down my engine and onto my crossover pipe from the issue above. There is definitely some coming through the exhaust. Yesterday the exhaust smoked for a good 20 seconds after I stopped at a light and there was a cloud at the back of my truck. I wasn't in boost before stopping, just cruising on a county road. What would that be?

3. I think my blowoff may be too small. I'm getting compressor surge/flutter when letting off. As far as I know, it's opening good enough. I even cut the spring down shorter to make it easier to open to make sure it stays open. The boost gauge shows the flutter also. Both are referenced off the intake manifold. If I ease off the throttle, it will open and you hear the normal smooth blowoff sound, but when I close the throttle all the way it will flutter. The blowoff is a 1.25". I've got a friend running the exact same one on a rear mount setup and he's got no problems at 8psi. You'd think with all of the extra piping, it may not flow as well on his truck as it would on mine(front mount, much less pipe) http://www.siliconeintakes.com/bov/t...nge-p-483.html

4. Have many of you guys had problems with throwing serpentine belts? It's happened to me three times so far, only when snapping the throttle shut. A/C and main. The first time I found that the main tensioner got stuck all the way toward the water pump (against its spring). That made sense, when I let off the belt got slack and came off. I popped it back and then replaced both tensioners since they were original and it happened the next week at the 1/4 track. Brand new belts also, NAPA heavy duty green. You know on the main tensioner has 3 marks on it to show belt tension? Mine sits at the third mark (for a tighter belt, as your belt stretches it will go toward the 1st mark). Is that where it should be? I wonder if I'm too close to the end of it's travel.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

1.25 bov. Is small. Could add another same size or add a 50.mm.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you upgraded the PVC valve? I'm running one from an older thunderbird that had a turbo.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run a breather out of the your oil cap too maybe and see if thats enough?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless you run a vac pump (which is not a bad idea) running a catch can is about your best bet. It isn't a lot of maintenance, just drain it when you change the oil. This may even stop your oil smoke after a pull. If not, check your oil feed. You could be pushing oil past the seals in the turbo cartridge.

Add another BOV the same size, or go to one much bigger, probably easier just to add one.

Belts- have you replaced tensioners as well? You could possibly look into a manual tensioner. I know a few guys here run them.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Launching!

I'm thinking I'd rather just switch to one bigger BOV. 50mm? Keeping the engine bay clean and simple is nice.
Name:  IMG_8292.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  82.3 KB

MY PCV is 100% factory. I pulled the line off from the intake to the valve cover yesterday to check it and it's just straight open hose. Is there a check valve on it even? I know normally they have them. I couldn't tell if maybe it's built into the intake or the valve cover. How neccessary is PCV? I'm thinking I may just try to cap off the intake and make the valve cover the breather, at least for a test.

Both tensioners are brand new, I replaced them after I lost the first set of belts.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Seems like you're pressurizing the crank case if oil is coming out the breather, I run a one way check valve inline on my factory PCV to Intake line, allows vaccum and closes to keep out boost in the crankcase and a breather oil cap and have no issuses.. I will be going to a catch can evenutally.

What is you turbo drain setup like?
Old 07-27-2014, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cpolaris502

MY PCV is 100% factory. I pulled the line off from the intake to the valve cover yesterday to check it and it's just straight open hose. Is there a check valve on it even? I know normally they have them. I couldn't tell if maybe it's built into the intake or the valve cover. How neccessary is PCV? I'm thinking I may just try to cap off the intake and make the valve cover the breather, at least for a test.
from what i understand there is no actual PCV valve on these.. It is a metered orifice in the valve cover to allow it to vent the crackcase into intake, a controlled leak so to speak.. So you need to put some type of PCV vlave or one way valve in there.. A regular old PCV valve wont be enough it has to not leak by which most do.. I used a one way valve from a brake booster.. but any factory turbocharged cars PCV should work..
Old 07-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Launching!

From my understanding, pressure in the crankcase is normal with a turbo. Drain has been fine as far as I can tell. Straight down from turbo to the front of the oil pan.

I'll go try to find a good check valve to throw on the PCV line then. I did a little searching and it sounds like they got rid of the check valve on PCV in 2000 or so?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Theres basically no maintenance required with a catch can. Mine is set up to pull vacuum from the intake while in vacuum and pull vacuum from the air filter tube while in boost. It also vents off pressure in the can while in boost. I got the can from MightyMouse.

Quick Reply: Around 2,000 miles on my build now and going great. A few questions...