FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

80mm Turbo Results, ON3 Performance review

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 80mm Turbo Results, ON3 Performance review

I have a 6.2 silverado nnbs. I decided i wanted to take on a turbo project, and decided on the ON3 Performance turbo kit. This is a review and results from their product, non-biased. Which will include customer service review.

Overall, it consisted of:

ON3 80mm Ball Bearing Turbo
ON3 Crossover Exhuast
ON3 Turbo Log
ON3 Oil feed kit
ON3 Coldside
ON3 BOV
ON3 Wastegate
ON3 Turbo and Hot Pipe Blanket
ON3 60LB Injectors
ON3 340LPH Fuel Pump
ON3 Coolant Reservoir
ON3 Radiator Reroute Piping
ON3 2 BAR MAP
PMAS High performance MAF

My level of experience consists of, bolton installations, motor swaps, and fabrication, which includes air ride, and complete frame constructions.

This was my first forced induction install, and i love the sound the turbo makes, thats all about that i can say for this kit and overall install. I wish i wouldve done a supercharger.

Turbo Header Log:

Does not sit flat onto exhaust ports on the engine block. They are quite off, so off that not even the thickest exhaust gasket or Copper atv could fill. I took it off, and i want to say it took me 5 hour (OCD) grinding/lasering and measuring to get a somewhat decent flat surface, this includes making bolt holes slightly bigger so it can match up with header bolt hole. After the whole install they still leaked, this included moldable exhaust header gasket and some copper atv, still leaked. I had to remove the header later on after the whole turbo install, and its a pain in the butt, another day project on a poorly manufactured header, just to get it to seal, on the process of this ordeal, i wound up stripping a header bolt hole.

Flange on Turbo,

Same as the turbo header, the flange even looks some what warped. Had trouble to get it to sit flat on the turbo log.

Turbo quality,

Blew the seal on the first dyno run.

Crossover pipe,

Does not match or line up properly turbo log or driver side header. As a matter of fact i even thought it could have been for another vehicle. The flexible mesh portion on the crossover piper blew a hole on 3rd dyno pull. I had to extend the crossover pipe during mid install due to it not reaching the driver side by an inch.

Cold side piping and intercooler,
Good products i had no issues, and everything lined up very well. I liked how the inter cooler mounted. I did not like i had to flip it upside down to get it to mount, from their instructions, now the intercool has upside down letters that look spray painted. Other than that i liked the cold side.

ON3 Oil feed and drain kit,

Turbo feed leaked at the top of turbo. Make sure to press down on the oil feed and that its completely straight into the fitting before tightening or else itll leak.
Drain kit, was pretty good no complaints. However, you might want to upgrade the hosing that drains back into the oil pan, itll burn up because its so close to the turbo, and get a good clamp because the one supplied doesnt allow you to clock the turbo in the desire position due to the clamp and hose getting in the way.

ON3 BOV
Good product i liked it, and no complaints, and it sounds amazing, its by far the loudest blow off valve ive laid ears on.

ON3 Wastegate
Good product, no problems and no complaints.

2BAR MAP
Good product and no complaints, but on these trucks nbs/nnbs its better to go off a MAF set up.

Injectors,

Before install please replace all the seals with better ones, you can use your stock seals from the stock injectors, theyre are better. 4 injectors leaked fuel onto my engine block at high rpm, luckily it didnt catch fire.

Fuel Pump,
Great product, and no complaints works very well, and delivers fuel very efficient.

Radiator re routing piping,

Youre better off purchasing hosing and extending or rerouting current radiator hosing. The piping just gets to damn hot, if you touch it, you will burn yourself, opposed to if you touch the plastic hosing you wont burn yourself. Same goes for the reservoir.

PMAS MAF,
Possibly the greatest maf in the world, really good product. Stock MAF was pegged with current setup, and so was LS acdelco maf.

SPARK PLUG WIRES, if you decide to get this kit, please purchase some type of header wrap or wire protector because you will burn through wires like there is no tomorrow. Log is poorly engineered that you have to purchase the longest possible wires to come underneath the log, and make sure theyre 90 degree inlets, good look finding those, youll have to make your own wires, from a universal msd kit, after the project i have spent over 300 dollars on spark plug wires.

Spark plugs, Gap them to your preference, the gapping specs in the instructions mean nothing, and make sure a bit of colder spark.

Customer Service, Called a couple times to ask questions that i had during mid install. Fella seemed bothered to be on the phone, talked down as if you had no idea what you were doing. However, he was very nice up to the point where i purchased the kit, and thats about it. There was also another fella that answered, and helped me out, and even asked to replace some of the parts, but small parts like the oil feed kit, not turbo log or cross over or turbo.

Overall, 600 hp after tune and dyno. 550 with faulty trans

My opinion, i wish i would have saved my money and gone with a supercharger. I feel it would have been more reliable and less of a hassle. As for the ON3 kit its ok for the price, but i learned to not ever cheap out.

fast, reliable, cheap

pick two.

PS: Go to a trucker parts store and replace ALL the clamps with better ones, the chinese ones supplied warp under heat and begin to leak.

Last edited by 2ToNe04; 11-30-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good review. I have seen someone put a header on a big *** belt sander to true up the flange mount. Only took a few seconds.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

what was the total cost of the product and how long did it take you to complete it, start to finish?
Old 11-30-2016, 02:29 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Sounds about right from what I have heard. Fine for a junkyard build if you value money more than time, but if you want it working out of the box gotta spend more money (trick, kb, maybe spike).
Old 11-30-2016, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
what was the total cost of the product and how long did it take you to complete it, start to finish?
Of the product itself was close to 2700-3k, overall finished project, 5300 Install time of bolting everything on, if everything were to fit and there were no problems, i would say a good week having a job. Maybe 3-4 days straight with 10 hrs a day with no job.

Overall, 2 weeks, includes dropping gas tank for fuel pump, injectors, and chasing down leaks. Then schedule tuning session. Then problems usually tend to pop up during tuning time.

Little things just begin to snowball. Would recommend a supercharger/procharger instead.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Just to add comments, the NBS trucks are far better off going straight to speed density with no MAF whatsoever. They have a much lower max MAF limit than a NNBS computer.

NNBS trucks can use both the MAF and MAP for the most part depending on application. The NNBS card style MAF from like 09+ can handle tons of airflow and there really is no need to upgrade. You can install it in a different size tube too. The 07-08 MAF's you are limited on because they are their own housing.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Your experience is about on point to what I've heard too. If you had started with a better turbo kit with properly sized turbo, you would probably not be so pro-blower now.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Awesome review and it shows you get what you pay for. Why anyone would pay 25-50k on a truck and then put cheap parts on it baffles me but I guess we've all made the same mistakes at one time or another. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2016, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Almost went with the on3 kit. Took the advice of forum members and went with trick performance kit. 0 fitment issues. Great customer service. Only problems I had was my lack of knowledge. Great review.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hate to see this since ive seen it so many times with the on3 kit, just thankful mine had no fitment issues besides one manifold bolt was about an 1/8th of an inch off.