FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

5.3 cam with supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam

I'm running the z06 cam with my supercharger. The cam pulls really hard on the top end and I did'nt notice any low end power either. They are cheap on this board I paid 150.00 shipped for springs and cam. I need to get the computer set up for the cam so that will be my next step, i'm sure I'll get more power out of it then.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Throw a late model LS1 Z06 cam in it. You can nit pik this to death. These cams are available for next to nothing or actually nothing if you're near a shop that works on a lot of vettes. If the high dollar cam has specs near the Z06 cam, chances are it will make similar power. I'm convinced that there's not much magic in cam selection. Look at the duration, lift, lsa, etc. My son has a Z06 cam in his Trick turboed truck. It's damn strong. Call me crazy, but I think a vortec supercharged truck is about like a belt driven turbocharged truck anyway. Cams ought to behave similarly.
No doubt they are cheap, (sometimes free) And also they are amazing for a buget cam for an average build. But there are reasons why all the vette guys take them out.... to put other spec'd cams in. If a person didn't get any power gain out of a $400 cam (plus the labor), they wouldn't be changing them out.

It all depends on the combo.

And yes cams are not "magic"...and it just comes down to the few numbers that you listed. But inside of those very few numbers are life time amounts of infinite changes. And each of those changes matters... so more then others.
Some people have dedicated their lives basically to figuring out what works the best for different applications to make things easier on us. So my hats off to them..... and each and every year, something new comes out. (heck look at these new trucks, with the Variable Cam timing....)

Its amazing to watch the guys build motors for the Engine masters challange... they will spend countless and countless hours with cam shafts. To make the most average power. (They could care less about peak, it's all about the strongest average power)

Cams.... not magic.... but still a little mystery
Old 02-22-2008, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by E.A.
No doubt they are cheap, (sometimes free) And also they are amazing for a buget cam for an average build. But there are reasons why all the vette guys take them out.... to put other spec'd cams in. If a person didn't get any power gain out of a $400 cam (plus the labor), they wouldn't be changing them out.

It all depends on the combo.

And yes cams are not "magic"...and it just comes down to the few numbers that you listed. But inside of those very few numbers are life time amounts of infinite changes. And each of those changes matters... so more then others.
Some people have dedicated their lives basically to figuring out what works the best for different applications to make things easier on us. So my hats off to them..... and each and every year, something new comes out. (heck look at these new trucks, with the Variable Cam timing....)

Its amazing to watch the guys build motors for the Engine masters challange... they will spend countless and countless hours with cam shafts. To make the most average power. (They could care less about peak, it's all about the strongest average power)

Cams.... not magic.... but still a little mystery
The vette guys pull these cams out to go BIGGER plain and simple. Maybe I should have said there's no magic in these smaller cams. Similar specs will yield similar power levels. If you can get a cam with specs similar to a $400 cam for little or nothing, why on earth would you spend the money to add few, if any HP? I'm guessing Chevy put more than a little R&D into the Z06 cams. The cam companies would have you believe that their designs are "higher tech". If that's important to you, by all means, burn the cash. A dyno or track will never know the difference. I realize that there's lots of power to be had by using just the right cam in an all out motor. Didn't think we were discussing that though.

Last edited by old motorhead; 02-22-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

I think you are I are very much on the same page.....

I just think I got a little confused on what you were trying to say when I read your quote below.....

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I'm convinced that there's not much magic in cam selection.
With your new post stating you were talking about smaller cams / builds, and not cams in general, I agree with you 100%
Old 02-22-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by E.A.
I think you are I are very much on the same page.....

I just think I got a little confused on what you were trying to say when I read your quote below.....

With your new post stating you were talking about smaller cams / builds, and not cams in general, I agree with you 100%
It's easy for me to confuse folks......since I walk around in an extreme state of confusion most of the time! I'm one of those rare guys that know very little about a whole lot of things and don't know a whole damn bunch about anything.