FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

On 3 Turbo Kit Downpipe Install Directions

Old 08-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On 3 Turbo Kit Downpipe Install Directions

I have a number of people when the kit was first released having issues with getting the downpipe installed and lined up. We pulled the first production kit and did notice that the bottom vband was impossible to install at first. It was difficult to line up at the wastegate and needed more adjustment. We first designed the kit with a 3" downpipe and then went to the 3.5" for production. That did lead us to this problem which has a very simple fix. Here is my original writeup:

I have posted this in the actual threads but I wanted it so people could easily find this and assist with installation.

A few customers have brought to our attention that the downpipe is very tight and hard to install the 2nd section of the downpipe going parallel with the truck floor. I wanted to test this and pulled a production kit from the shelf and installed it on our shop truck to see whats going on exactly. After testing, it would be very difficult to get it clamped and for sure would rattle. We have a very simple and easy fix for this and will send any current customers that have purchased this clamp to solve this.

Here are the photos showing the issues needing addressed:

Name:  DSC07214_zps023e276a.jpg
Views: 2724
Size:  27.3 KB

As you can see everything is lined up at the top still:

Name:  DSC07212_zpsec534682.jpg
Views: 6263
Size:  49.7 KB

Before moving forward, if you have the tubing all wrapped (header and downpipe) the clearance between the 2 are very tight and might also throw off the turbo to downpipe. So in that one area where they are close, you might want to not wrap. We highly suggest that you don’t wrap the parts anyhow and get them coated if anything.

****All current kits are now made with the downpipe being 2pcs. No cutting is required. We also have a version like seen below with an externally dumped wastegate and new dump tube included as of 8-1-14. We still have both varieties with the gate re-circulated and dumped to atmosphere.

On to the solution, when installing the downpipe, you will need to make one cut. There is no welding involved so please do not be alarmed. Take a look at the photo and note the location of the cut, its ~1.25” past the weld. This straight section needed about 3/8-1/2” extra in length to push the lower v-band past the crossover pipe. The stainless steel lap band we will send out makes up for this difference and will provide clamping force between the two. We use this style is a lot of our systems post-turbo to allow for more adjustment.

Name:  DSC07218_zpsd9c0b082.jpg
Views: 2630
Size:  34.6 KB

This illustrates how the clamp will sit when installed on the truck. You mainly just want it right in the middle of the straight section so that the clamp isn’t on the bend.

Name:  DSC07220_zps222ff2de.jpg
Views: 2699
Size:  35.6 KB

Now with that installed, you are able to clearly move the lower flange out past the crossover the needed room and clamp it down.

Name:  DSC07221_zpsb82b0d1b.jpg
Views: 2628
Size:  29.7 KB

On my truck I went ahead and welded in a straight through muffler while I was at it and also just welded it to the stock hanger. Installs very clean this way, sounds good and keeps the exhaust past the cab. Im going to end up making a 90 off of this and come out of the bed right in front of the rear tire. We didn’t have a free lift so I was on jack stands and didn’t want to finish it today. Main objective was to make sure we had a solution for the customers and relay this info to everyone installing and future customers getting ready to install

Name:  DSC07227_zpsd097268a.jpg
Views: 2586
Size:  28.0 KB

Name:  DSC07228_zpsef211c51.jpg
Views: 2695
Size:  32.4 KB

Hope this helps clear everything up and any questions, please let us know.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you sell 4" downpipe?

Does your 3.5" dp fit Trick Perf turbo kit (log manifold)?

Name:  DSC07218_zpsd9c0b082.jpg
Views: 3070
Size:  34.6 KB
Old 08-02-2014, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ignorant question... But you do make kits for 2007+ models correct?
Old 08-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor

Addressing the 2007+ trucks with our 99 - 06 Kit

I have had 2 customers follow up with the kit being installed on 2007 trucks. I will have to take a photo but one guy had the crossover interfering with the shock. Looked like he just cut off some threads but mentioned it was hard to fit around the spring perch.

Personally I have not done the install on an 07+ truck so I do not know the complications first hand. First guy really didnt have any issues and the 2nd one communicated the issues mentioned above. Wish I had more detailed info to share but thats all I have at this point. It can be done with a few minor tweaks
Old 08-14-2014, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Default on3 turbo kit fit for 07+

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Ignorant question... But you do make kits for 2007+ models correct?
Overall good product! but,
down side is since adam has been gone customer service Sucks!!
Here are the things I had to (adjust) or change.
PLUS SIDE :IC works way better on late mod trks, compared to how the kit is designed for.(I only used 3/4 of the ic piping)

1.Cross over pipe off of manifold hit strut cup. (Cut and rotated)On 3 Turbo Kit Downpipe Install Directions-dp3.jpg
2.Cross over pipe hits Sway bar.. (cut inch out of drivers side pipe)On 3 Turbo Kit Downpipe Install Directions-20140805_212559.jpgOn 3 Turbo Kit Downpipe Install Directions-crosover.jpg
3. 1st section of exhaust off of down pipe needs to be extended an inch to have good clearance from heat shields.
Are there things that could be improved YES..My suggestions for chad (on3) would be kit should include vac lines and fuel pump kit to make it a kit. Just sayin!!
Hope this answers some of the questions that people have been asking about on3...
Attached Thumbnails On 3 Turbo Kit Downpipe Install Directions-dp.jpg   On 3 Turbo Kit Downpipe Install Directions-dp2.jpg  
Old 08-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor

You start off abrasive there, whats the problem you have had with customer service now? Im a 2 person shop(1 till I just found a replacement for adam). Its not physically possible to run my business by myself so I have done the best I can but guessing that could possible be your issue. Im not sure but I would at least want to know your issue, see if its been resolved and if not, I need to know what needs to be done to do so. I work 9:30 till I go to bed basically everyday. Im at the shop till at least 8 almost every weekday and yes Im in here weekends trying to prepare for the coming week. Its my life, I take it serious and really doing everything I can at this point.

All the issues above though keep in mind are on a 2007 truck. I have only designed the kit and tested on 1999 - 2006 model years. There is no sway bar on the earlier truck on the rear, its in the front of the engine. Ive looked over your first 3 photos and still dont see where the modification was made? Where did you make the cut?

Is your dp an early one which is 1pc? If so, did you follow the directions above and you still needed another 1"?

All in all though, that doesnt seem too bad and I think its good info for me as well. I have a lot of 2007+ guys asking about the system. I haven't had a lot to go by so this is good information for those guys. Its just a matter of me getting in a truck and mocking up the 07+ system at some point. I will get there but I have 2 designs going right now, one being for the 2005-2013 Corvette and its just a handful. I like the truck market and we will be offering a 2007+ BOLT ON kit in the future. But until then, 2007+ guys check out the photos and seems easy enough if your capable and mechanically inclined
Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor

Also as far as add-ons go, we have a new site design going together now. Its going to have options so you can add anything you need to make it as complete as you want.

-fuel pump
-injector kits
-map sensor
-custom air filters
-turbo upgrades
-tubular drive side stainless header
-custom turbo system plug wire set
-boost controllers

And the list will go on, should be very nice and a huge help to relive some of the phone calls
Old 08-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When is the ETA on the website?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by On 3 Performance
You start off abrasive there, whats the problem you have had with customer service now? Im a 2 person shop(1 till I just found a replacement for adam). Its not physically possible to run my business by myself so I have done the best I can but guessing that could possible be your issue. Im not sure but I would at least want to know your issue, see if its been resolved and if not, I need to know what needs to be done to do so. I work 9:30 till I go to bed basically everyday. Im at the shop till at least 8 almost every weekday and yes Im in here weekends trying to prepare for the coming week. Its my life, I take it serious and really doing everything I can at this point.

All the issues above though keep in mind are on a 2007 truck. I have only designed the kit and tested on 1999 - 2006 model years. There is no sway bar on the earlier truck on the rear, its in the front of the engine. Ive looked over your first 3 photos and still dont see where the modification was made? Where did you make the cut?

Is your dp an early one which is 1pc? If so, did you follow the directions above and you still needed another 1"?

All in all though, that doesnt seem too bad and I think its good info for me as well. I have a lot of 2007+ guys asking about the system. I haven't had a lot to go by so this is good information for those guys. Its just a matter of me getting in a truck and mocking up the 07+ system at some point. I will get there but I have 2 designs going right now, one being for the 2005-2013 Corvette and its just a handful. I like the truck market and we will be offering a 2007+ BOLT ON kit in the future. But until then, 2007+ guys check out the photos and seems easy enough if your capable and mechanically inclined
Hey chad ,I'm only trying to help. When you get some time give me a call and we will chat. I'm in no way trying to be negative, just passing on my experience with your company and product. Thank god you have found someone to help! Like I said when Adam was there he was the man in answering and handling everything I needed. Hope new dude can do the same for you. Call me. when u can.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LOWnEASY
When is the ETA on the website?
Im hoping like crazy to launch in 2-3 weeks at the most and slowly build the store section from there. There will be a lot of content I personally have to add but once its ready to roll, Ill be dedicated to it 100%

Originally Posted by So.cal Wrk Sled
Hey chad ,I'm only trying to help. When you get some time give me a call and we will chat. I'm in no way trying to be negative, just passing on my experience with your company and product. Thank god you have found someone to help! Like I said when Adam was there he was the man in answering and handling everything I needed. Hope new dude can do the same for you. Call me. when u can.
I for sure understand, I just too wanted to make sure people understand its a newer truck as well. A lot of times we get people skimming through various pages and get confused by not fully reading. So just trying to keep that clear

I have one new guy in here and its just a lot to learn but he will catch on. Im actively searching a second as well now so things can only get better.

Shoot me a number and I will give you a call when I get settled in the evening