Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Graphs | Power Comparisons | Dyno Truck List

Made 943HP... But what's best way to load a dynojet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks George that's good info to know. I like that site a lot!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:49 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I've had my truck on a Mustang putting down literally in the 500s horsepower range right after dragging my buddy's *** on his 137mph ZX10-R. Simple math says it isn't possible to accelerate a 5400lb object that fast with that power, even neglecting wind resistance and rotating mass. I can't just accept that a Mustang is correct when it continually gets proven wrong. Lots of people are brainwashed by this notion that since the numbers are lower, they must be true. This is no more accurate than saying that numbers that are higher are true. The correct number is true, period. And I recommend that all people that spend their time and money on a Mustang hold the operator to a higher standard to make them get to know their equipment better. Call out bullshit numbers for what they are.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

also another thing thats a variable on a MD is converter slip and tire growth

most MD dont use a tach signal and use a rpm sync....this is one of the shittiest ways to calibrate for a auto car....this is also why you see dyno graphs looking like they are a few hundred or a thousand rpm off

the MD rpm sync cant take into account for converter slip or tire growth

so since the rpm range is now off so will the power...horsepower numbers will show lower on the MD dyno since it doesnt give the proper RPM range of the combo...

since HP is only a product of torque vs rpm....so if dyno is loaded wrong and youll have lower power if you cant see your full rpm range

same car two different dynos....MD said cam was done at 5200 rpms, tossed it on a DJ and cam pulled to 6700 and flat lined to around 7000.......MD dyno was 100 rwhp lower thn the DJ now all the nut swingers will say the MD was true, sorry its not especially when the rpm range isnt correct.....the logs also showed the MD was off

same thing with my crewcab....1000 rpms difference and was 100 rwhp off........actual numbers were in park of wallace racing calculator
Old 03-30-2015, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

F=MA ..... Cant get any more simple than that can it? Go to a dyno jet, get a number, go to another dyno jet down the street, and you'll probably get the same number give or take.

Do the same thing with the MD and two different operators and who knows what you're going to get.

If I were to open a tuning shop, I'd rather have the MD or the eddy current dyno jet but for getting consistant numbers, Dyno jet wins every single time. There should be no arguing with that. I guess if you can prove math and simple physics to be wrong, then MD numbers are always correct.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not know anything about dynos, but I will share my only experience. I went to a shop that had just gotten their Mustang Dyno, and I was eager to see what my setup would do. I had a 434 SBC, Dart block, ported Brodix heads, 12.6:1 compression, race gas, 260/268 .650" 106 cam, Stahl headers, 1050 dominator, Jesel belt drive, full roller rockers, electric water pump etc, (it was no slouch) it put down 385hp to the ground. The operator to the dyno changed numbers in the dyno and made another pull with absolutely zero done to the engine, and it put down 415 hp to the ground. That was my only dyno experience, and I was pretty confused. That was my only numbers I have had, so I have nothing to base it off of. My seat of the pants dyno felt higher than 415 though, and those engines are known to put out 700+ at the crank. Just adding my experience to the mix.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I do not know anything about dynos, but I will share my only experience. I went to a shop that had just gotten their Mustang Dyno, and I was eager to see what my setup would do. I had a 434 SBC, Dart block, ported Brodix heads, 12.6:1 compression, race gas, 260/268 .650" 106 cam, Stahl headers, 1050 dominator, Jesel belt drive, full roller rockers, electric water pump etc, (it was no slouch) it put down 385hp to the ground. The operator to the dyno changed numbers in the dyno and made another pull with absolutely zero done to the engine, and it put down 415 hp to the ground. That was my only dyno experience, and I was pretty confused. That was my only numbers I have had, so I have nothing to base it off of. My seat of the pants dyno felt higher than 415 though, and those engines are known to put out 700+ at the crank. Just adding my experience to the mix.
The graph didn't happen to have a really early torque peak with a linear drop all the way to redline and a table-flat power curve, did it?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I actually can't remember. It was years ago. I threw it out as I didn't think it was accurate.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
The graph didn't happen to have a really early torque peak with a linear drop all the way to redline and a table-flat power curve, did it?
typical of a MD graph
Old 03-30-2015, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

This thread has become really entertaining as well as very informative. I am loving the stories and I can hardly wait for more.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well little update, the shop is having a dyno day this weekend. I'm going to make another run at it for the 1k mark. I believe unlocked is going to help a lot on the spike as the convertor will likely eat a lot of load the turbine wheel was feeding off of. Also the spike was blowing out my plugs.

I know a lot of guys get away with stock ignition stuff, but I believe my coil relocation with extended harness and 2 foot+ plug wires, along with e85 fuel volume, the 25+ area seems to blow out spark quick even with a .016 gap. My idle and light throttle is already suffering as well from the tight *** plug gap.

So I decided to try the new redesigned MSD coils and their larger power wire harness. My goal is 25psi, 15 degree's timing through 7k.. I believe that will plot some strong horses up.

Quick Reply: Made 943HP... But what's best way to load a dynojet?