Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Graphs | Power Comparisons | Dyno Truck List

LQ4 LS3 Heads 427ci Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a feeling that Hi Ram wasn't doing you any favors based off of what I felt my Pro Flow was doing to my truck. I've been watching to see how it turned out for you. Between reading this and seeing what stock48 does with his factory intake, I think I'm going to try going back to stock also. I'm already having my fuel system changed to flex and will be getting another tune. So now is as good of a time as any.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LPCWS6
I had a feeling that Hi Ram wasn't doing you any favors based off of what I felt my Pro Flow was doing to my truck. I've been watching to see how it turned out for you. Between reading this and seeing what stock48 does with his factory intake, I think I'm going to try going back to stock also. I'm already having my fuel system changed to flex and will be getting another tune. So now is as good of a time as any.
Yup! I do have to warn you, home porting is not easy and I don't recommend it. Seeing the flex on my intake with the support rails I wonder about longevity.

If you stay stock L92 intake, careful of cylinder 7 going lean. I have heard of a few builds going south because #7 took a dump.

From what I read, Peak Performance doesn't split the intake for their port work so I might end up buying one of their manifolds.

IMO the bank for the buck was huge. I can't wait to get it tuned
Old 07-09-2016, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

I'm cathedral port and probably going back to my little 05 78mm TB intake with no port job. I'll just turn up the wick on the turbo!
Old 07-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Oh gotcha - I am pretty sure they suffer from the same #7 issue too especially with boost. If I were you I'd save the coin and get an LSX RT - heard many a good things about them. I would have done that except they don't make a square port version of it. I also know that the cathedral truck intake doesn't flow nearly as well as the L92 square port version.

But you are right turn the wick up on that turbo easily overcomes those flow restrictions haha - you will definitely gain in the bottom end for sure over the Pro Flow. Faster boost response I bet which is where you'd feel it on the street.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

I have never heard of the #7 going lean (not that I have ever looked into it). It seems to me that if anything the #7 would get less air than the other cylinders. If that's the case and it's getting less air but the same amount of fuel as all the other cylinders, then wouldn't it be richer rather than the rest?

I'm just writing out my thoughts, maybe I'm completely wrong.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Launching!

For whatever reason #7 is the piston the goes, usually rings or burnt piston from detonation from being lean. Theory is that the air comes straight in and gets channeled back there. Others say it's coolant passages. After looking at the manifold it does look like air can get channeled into #7 almost like a scoop.

Here's a thread about it - I'm sure there is more out there on the topic.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...an-7-a-447199/
Old 07-09-2016, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I have personally seen more issues with the rings on 7 seizing to the pistons, moreso than any other cylinder.... Which usually leads to oil consumption.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Launching!

I put the coolant vents on the back of my engine for this very reason as well. I haven't yet, but I plan on checking plugs soon and I'll post the results of that too.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ken in AZ
For whatever reason #7 is the piston the goes, usually rings or burnt piston from detonation from being lean. Theory is that the air comes straight in and gets channeled back there. Others say it's coolant passages. After looking at the manifold it does look like air can get channeled into #7 almost like a scoop.

Here's a thread about it - I'm sure there is more out there on the topic.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...an-7-a-447199/
I see. If the #7 was getting more air than that makes sense. I personally don't buy that theory, especially N/A. After doing some reading one thing is for sure, there are a lot of different opinions out there on the issue. I found a thread on Ls1tech where NicD actually chimes in on the subject and he seemed to think it has nothing to do with the intake. I tend to agree with him since he's my tuner, the amount of stuff I know he tunes, and all the different setups I'm sure he's seen.

Here's the thread I found. It's also the most up to date thread I found.
Lean #7 cylinder - related to Intake Manifold? - LS1TECH
Old 07-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

#7 tends to run hotter.

Quick Reply: LQ4 LS3 Heads 427ci Stroker