Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Graphs | Power Comparisons | Dyno Truck List

expected more

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the numbers and it sounds about right. That turbo ran out of turbine wheel around 15psi, so 19psi wouldnt net much but more heat. On Nicks 5.3 76/67 setup, we made 667 at 15psi. We tried more boost, but didn't show gains. The same turbo on my 4.8 was over 3 to 1 exhaust back pressure to boost at 15psi, and that's less cubes so it would only be worse on the 5.3. Add in you dyno'ed unlocked, yeah your about dead on.

Again good job on the setup, if you want more power though, time to swap some parts out.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:43 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Yea I said good ones are less than 10%. 8-10% is generally considered the max you want or what you can tolerate before the converter should be tuned up. But this brings me to my next point, what race teams shoot for and what works good enough for the typical DYI road warrior are different things. I have no doubt some boosted setups lock the converter, I just its a bad idea on a heavy truck in my opinion. That doesnt mean people dont do it.
Ford's do it from factory.......that's lock converter for the lightnings
Old 04-18-2015, 08:59 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Still a bad idea in my opinion.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you foose! I guess I shouldn't be complaining on what it made if you all think that's about right. Any recommendations from any one on my next step to get close to the 700 range from what my set up is now. Bigger turbo? Or should I be looking at a precision 76/75 like I was recommended from the shop?
Old 04-19-2015, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by George C....
Ford's do it from factory.......that's lock converter for the lightnings
That's a blower setup. For the 90% of turbo guys on here running KB racing or Trick kits, there will be a good amount of boost increase when it locks in 3rd due to load. For me with a JGS 60mm it about 5psi jump. A lot of guys don't want that and they also don't want to buy 1k+ boost controller to fit it when the turbo kit was only 3k.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhuggett1001
Thank you foose! I guess I shouldn't be complaining on what it made if you all think that's about right. Any recommendations from any one on my next step to get close to the 700 range from what my set up is now. Bigger turbo? Or should I be looking at a precision 76/75 like I was recommended from the shop?
Yes that is correct. I am a big fan of borgwarner turbos if you are going to spend the money.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Originally Posted by foose04
That's a blower setup. For the 90% of turbo guys on here running KB racing or Trick kits, there will be a good amount of boost increase when it locks in 3rd due to load. For me with a JGS 60mm it about 5psi jump. A lot of guys don't want that and they also don't want to buy 1k+ boost controller to fit it when the turbo kit was only 3k.
Yes but locking helps a turbo vehicle greatly as well...if you have a boost rise then you have turbo kit design flaw as in gate placement.....
I've built similar setups and boost stays steady with a good size gate placed at Turbo

Now if you have a converter that's isn't lock up you want to shoot for 3-6% slip otherwise you're wasting power Nd creating trans heat for no reason

And not all lightnings are blower, point was factory vehicles lock it...just cause a few think locking is bad doesn't mean it's something ppl shouldn't do
Old 04-19-2015, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by George C....
Yes but locking helps a turbo vehicle greatly as well.......
My setup gained 1 mph when locked and no ET. So for elapsed time, what matters for me, my truck doesn't get any help from being locked. So your opinion of "greatly" helping in my setup is wrong.

Goes back to testing out what works for you. Just because a George or Toms truck does one thing doesn't set the standard for your own.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Gaining 1 mph is a step in the right direction

as for ET that could be when you're locking it, and this isn't some new voodoo with locking a converter
Old 04-20-2015, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dhuggett1001
That would be a good choice for turbo as it's a easy bolt in turbo with no modification and a much bigger turbine.

Quick Reply: expected more