Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Graphs | Power Comparisons | Dyno Truck List

Cammed LQ9 breaks 403whp 411ftlbs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Darknight-4
Appreciate the information on the y-pipe. I may consider doing the same to mine, just wish I wouldn't have already had the rest of my exhaust done with 3" piping, muffler, cutout, and electric cutout. Would be a lot to replace all of that now

;-)

As far as the intake goes, feel free to do anything you feel will give you more power.

But my guess would be, that with a stock 85mm MAF and a 78mm throttle body, there shouldn't be much of a gain from a 102mm (4") intake tube (unless you mean something else) naturally aspirated. With nitrous, who knows...

On the other hand, its cheap enough that I would do the same if I were you also.
My Titan runs an Airaid MXP4 intake that uses their massive 7" opening 2,200 cfm filter and a velocity stack to narrow it down to the stock MAF opening then widens back up to a 4" tube before going through a 74mm TB. I witnessed gains of nearly 20 rwhp and airflow gains over 20 gms/sec with this arrangement. I am running a 3.5" tube on my Express with the old L31, 78mm TB an aluminum body LS1 MAF and large cone filter. Saw substantial airflow gains in my datalogs and combined with e-fans a large power gain.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fast355
My Titan runs an Airaid MXP4 intake that uses their massive 7" opening 2,200 cfm filter and a velocity stack to narrow it down to the stock MAF opening then widens back up to a 4" tube before going through a 74mm TB. I witnessed gains of nearly 20 rwhp and airflow gains over 20 gms/sec with this arrangement. I am running a 3.5" tube on my Express with the old L31, 78mm TB an aluminum body LS1 MAF and large cone filter. Saw substantial airflow gains in my datalogs and combined with e-fans a large power gain.
I didn't say I don't think there were gains to be made over a stock system to a larger aftermarket air intake, but I'm not sure how physically a naturally aspirated engine can suck in more through a 78 mm throttle body than an 85mm intake tube to accomodate the MAF.

That isn't to say I'm not wrong, and it would be great for me to be wrong in this case. And I would definitely do the same since its a cheap upgrade.

WIth a power adder I could see more flow through the same given opening, because of the extra suction/compression of the air flow (for lack of a better term).

But again, I could very well be wrong. Being as how this would make it easier for me to make more power also.

;-)
Old 11-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

there will be gains with the 4in intake setup Im just not sure how much. Both trucks I put the 4in intake on gained quite a bit of noticeable power but both also threw lean codes at part throttle. That tells me there is power to be had. Ill have to fine out what the dyno has to say about it
Old 11-17-2013, 01:56 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good gains from exhaust work!
To bad you didn't lay the old dyno over the new to tell exactly where it gained at.

Your exhaust is done exactly how I been wanting to redo mine
Old 11-17-2013, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Driver311
there will be gains with the 4in intake setup Im just not sure how much. Both trucks I put the 4in intake on gained quite a bit of noticeable power but both also threw lean codes at part throttle. That tells me there is power to be had. Ill have to fine out what the dyno has to say about it
Thats strange, I wonder why it would throw a lean code?

The MAF should see the amount of air going through, and in closed loop should adjust the amount of fuel to stoich in all situations but Power Enrichment mode.

Unless maybe the injectors aren't large enough to compensate for the extra air.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Impressive!

Makes me want to dyno my cam/bolt on LQ9, it to has a small cam for a 6.0L
Old 11-17-2013, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

OP

What heads do you have and is there anything done with them?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darknight-4
OP

What heads do you have and is there anything done with them?
Stock 317s. I want to get ahold of some 243s, mill them and then do some mild porting myself. Possibly go a lil bigger with my cam at that point. 224/228ish. For now just enjoying what I have and I think next on my list is some 4.56s front and back. I think the truck will come alive once I do.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Those are great numbers! Your truck tuns strong and the times are there to back it up!

Do you have any pictures of the exhaust?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Wow. That's very good numbers. I hope I can come close to that with my new setup. Very similar to yours.

Quick Reply: Cammed LQ9 breaks 403whp 411ftlbs.