Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Need advice on some 15in dr

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need advice on some 15in dr

About to change up look on my crew cab. I have 15x10 Bart wheels for rear and need help to decide on some tires for good daily and track life
Old 11-19-2016, 09:16 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only ones i would consider (and have used) would be the ET Street S/S. I drive em about 60 miles one way to the track on 30psi then turn em down to 16 at the track and let em eat.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have been eyeing those alot but wasnt sure on them
Old 11-20-2016, 01:34 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

There is no such thing as a true "daily driver" track tire. Unless you like buying brand new tires every few months.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
There is no such thing as a true "daily driver" track tire. Unless you like buying brand new tires every few months.
True, but been reading up on these suppose to be better than last Gen. even have better water channeling! If you got caught in the rain with old style it was a **** show!!!!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what about the hoosier quicktime? but leaning to the m/t though
Old 11-21-2016, 02:41 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by badazzz06
True, but been reading up on these suppose to be better than last Gen. even have better water channeling! If you got caught in the rain with old style it was a **** show!!!!
I wasn't even considering the wet weather handling (which is going to be an issue). My brother totaled a pristine 95 Mustang GT a few years ago (the car was like brand new and 100% stock). The absolute perfect project car. It was pretty much stock besides an exhaust system. He was running a Nitto drag radial on the back (which is about as much of a drag oriented street tire as you can get). Anyway, he was cruising along to school one morning and it was raining just a little bit. Just cruising about 60 mph steady (no stupid **** going on) and the car hit a little puddle, swapped ends, slammed it into the guardrail and totaled the car. A complete waist for no good reason.

My biggest reason above was the fact that the really good drag radials on the market these days have a normal driving tire life of nothing. So you will be constantly buying tires.

I'd come up with a different plan to have legit street tires on it for the street and a set of dedicated drag tires. There are nothing but pros to doing this. It saves you money and may save your truck/life. Not to mention, if you dedicate a tire to the track, that tire will perform better at the track as it has not been beaten up on the street.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i said daily/track because but in all honestly it will see more track than street. didnt want to actually slicks because truck is not fully setup for that extreme of tire in my eyes..
Old 11-22-2016, 01:42 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Your original posts says "daily and track use". Unless you live at the track and make passes everyday........your above statement of "honestly it will see more track than street" doesn't work.

So I digress,

Your statements in post 1 and post 8 contradict themselves. In order for you to decide what tire is gonna be best for you, you need to be honest about what the truck/car is being used for.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything.....I'm just saying that running the M/T 275 Pro drag radial (arguably the best drag radial on the market) on your daily driver is probably not a good idea.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts

If you want a dot radial for the track that will be occasionally driven on the street:
MT ET Street SS - Best if more street use and will see wet weather.
MT ET Street R - Better for track, no wet weather
MT ET Street Pro - Best for track use, no wet weather
Hoosier DR - Best for track use, no wet weather
Nitto NT05R - Good for street use, limited wet weather

Size will play a big role in choosing from tires above as there may not be a common size between all of them.

Originally Posted by Blown06
I'd come up with a different plan to have legit street tires on it for the street and a set of dedicated drag tires. There are nothing but pros to doing this. It saves you money and may save your truck/life. Not to mention, if you dedicate a tire to the track, that tire will perform better at the track as it has not been beaten up on the street.
I totally agree with the above statement and is what I do for my fun truck. I actually have three sets of tires for different uses. I run a 265 radial front and 305 dr out back most of the time but do my best to avoid any wet weather driving. I actually wrecked the truck a few years back on a NT05R in the rain when the converter locked up at 35mph and broke the tires loose. I was able to avoid opposing traffic but the car behind me hit me in the front after doing a 180. I am currently running the older MT ET Street2 and got caught in a rainstorm earlier this year. They did better than the Nittos but I was nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Constantly driving a drag radial on the street will also harden the compound thru heat cycles and uv exposure. Not to mention the very limited mileage. For the track I still run a DOT tire for True Street races but that is the only street use they see. I chose the Hoosier DR over the MT ETSS due to the lighter weight and increased contact patch. For autocross and potential rain driving, I have a full set of NT05's.