Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

4L60e wacked out as usual

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 4L60e wacked out as usual

Ok,
I am about a minute away from giving up on my 60e. Three rebuilds just to see what was wrong. My guy has 35 yrs experience but we are all at a loss. Tuner is about nuts as well.

We did find the second gear piston cracked on the Servo on the second pull down. On the third he found a cracked 2 gear accumulator piston. Back to the track 3 out of 4 of the last weekends.

Last night it was the same old crap. It doesn't want to shift from 1st to 2nd.
I launch and it is commanding a shift to second at 8 mph (according to HPT log), even though the tune is set for 39 mph and 6300 rpm. Also when it does shift by itself (rarely) it is short shifting at 5200 rpm.

Has anyone experienced the commanded shift to be wacked so bad it shows in the log a command of 8 mph when set for 39 ? We are out of ideas.

And before you guys bash me...I know an 80 would fix my problem but I am on a mission to beat this dang 60e. I do not know if there is something in the tune or this tranny is done. I tried a couple tune suggestions in a previous post but nothing helped.

I ran 1/8 mile track and had a 7.3 @ 92+ mph with my 67lb front tires on, exhaust not uncapped and headlight in. Intake temps were from 107 to 127 degrees. Sixty foot was 1.63 and I had to lift to shift on the 1-2. Hot air sux.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

and by the way it works just fine on the street

WOT seems to be the downfall
Old 08-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you tried zero'ing out all the mph and making it shift only on RPM? some PCM's will do this, some won't. I never figured out the rhyme or reason why but that's the way several trucks did me. I always set up my WOT shifting RPM based only. Having values in the MPH axis always made mine do screwey things.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Have you tried zero'ing out all the mph and making it shift only on RPM? some PCM's will do this, some won't. I never figured out the rhyme or reason why but that's the way several trucks did me. I always set up my WOT shifting RPM based only. Having values in the MPH axis always made mine do screwey things.
I haven't tried that..but I will. Thx for the idea
Old 08-12-2015, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, hate to see your still having issues.

I am surprised you haven't swapped to a 80e honestly, not so sure about the ratio change?
Old 08-12-2015, 05:27 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

What's the latest Bob?
Old 08-12-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

buy my vinceB lvl 1000 4l60e. it's for sale

or if you're dead set on keeping your transmission, I can sell you my TCI transmission controller and you can just run the transmission on a stand alone computer. if it doesn't work on the TCI controller, you know it's the transmissions failure.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
What's the latest Bob?
I didn't make it back to the track yet because of rain. Hopefully soon.

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
buy my vinceB lvl 1000 4l60e. it's for sale

or if you're dead set on keeping your transmission, I can sell you my TCI transmission controller and you can just run the transmission on a stand alone computer. if it doesn't work on the TCI controller, you know it's the transmissions failure.
Let me think on that. The controller has been on my mind.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:21 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I assume you have been using the same case and many of the same internals from day one?
I know my friend who had a bogger and a tranny guy who has 30 years of experience couldn't get a trans to work in right in one of the trucks. Switched cases and wala no more problems. All they could chalk it up to is a gremlin in the case that wasn't obvious but continually caused them problems.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by custm2500
I assume you have been using the same case and many of the same internals from day one?
I know my friend who had a bogger and a tranny guy who has 30 years of experience couldn't get a trans to work in right in one of the trucks. Switched cases and wala no more problems. All they could chalk it up to is a gremlin in the case that wasn't obvious but continually caused them problems.
Yeah it is the same case and I mentioned that to the builder but he thinks it is fine. I wonder if it really is.

Maybe even the valvebody needs a look. Pressure seems fine when he tests everything.

Quick Reply: 4L60e wacked out as usual