Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, Hemi, Magnum, 4.7, 5.9

more hemi bad news

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the 6.1 crank and toner ring. You'll get a forged crank and a better toner ring in return. There has only been one truck with toner ring failure that I know of that didn't have a 6.1 cam and/ or an underdrive pulley. But he did have his superchips at over 6100 rpms.
Below is a pic of the 6.1 crank and toner ring next to the 5.7. it's obvious where the weakness is, between the spaced bolts, and that's where the failures are coming from. Stu, DTW, has designed a beefier 5.7 toner ring but if I were you, and I did this to, I'd drop a forged 6.1 crank in with better toner ring and not worry about it again.

And you can go a step farther like I did, add the 6.1 forged crank with better toner ring, have the underdrive pulley balanced on the rotating assembly, add a set of forged rods and the ross pistons and then go have a ton o fun. LOL
Old 03-28-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

we havent had any problems so far at the dealer i work at with those rings. if you can then def. change to the 6.1 crank. looks 100 times stronger.
btw is the 6.1 crank the same stroke as the 5.7? are they just boring them out or what?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

what is the difference between the 5.7 and 6.1 crank? is the stroke the different? how much heavier? does it bolt in the same? also will a 6.1 liter short block work in my truck as far as motor mounts, heads, tranny, etc? i talked to the guy that makes the stronger toner ring today. he makes it out of crome moly not stainless, and it is designed to replace a 04-05. i have a 03 and it is different, go figure huh.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

This actually needs to be made a sticky, and I believe I'll put it there. A lot of have been saying......"don't turn the 5.7 to 6100-6300 RPMs and almost everyone that has with a few good mods has shattered the ring. Any of you all out there need to consider this post in your best interest. The 5.7 is strong, and it is a durable engine.............but they weren't designed to turn 6+K RPMs leaving every stop light you take off from, it brings out the weak link when we constantly turn them this hard on a normal basis, and this happens to be the "weak link."
Old 03-28-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

eabigrick,
sorry to hear about your troubles, I would recommend balancing the assembly if you change the crank to the 6.1..... as the balance has to be different. After balancing many engines, even stock ones it is surprising how far out they can be...

TJ
Old 03-28-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Oh yea- definitely balance it. Like I said, we're balancing the full rotating assembly, with the motoblue ud pulley on. Of course I'm planning on spinning 6800 rpms.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eabigrick
what is the difference between the 5.7 and 6.1 crank? is the stroke the different? how much heavier? does it bolt in the same? also will a 6.1 liter short block work in my truck as far as motor mounts, heads, tranny, etc? i talked to the guy that makes the stronger toner ring today. he makes it out of crome moly not stainless, and it is designed to replace a 04-05. i have a 03 and it is different, go figure huh.
My understanding is that the only difference on the cranks is forging and the toner wheel mount. There was a rumor that the 03 toner wheel was made from a different material ( stamped vs cast ) but still the 3 point mount. All the journals, oil ports, and dimensions are identical. The only reason I can see that people think the 03' models are different is because the 6.1L motor was not introduced until late 04.
Here is the link in HTC for the custom toner ring http://hemitruckclub.infopop.cc/grou...2/m/4870055214 which could be an option if STU is gonna mass produce them.
Look at this link too http://hemitruckclub.infopop.cc/grou...2/m/3930083514 for more on the DCX performance 5.7/6.1 crank option.
Personally, I am gonna go with the either of the forged cranks and possibly some 6.1L rods with forged coated pistons....
Old 03-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Toe
TECH Regular

So mopar performance has a 5.7 crank.

Pics are from Uniball on DTW from this thread.
http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....mance_57_crank

It looks just like the 6.1L crank. Art at Henson motors in Texas has them. I think I am going to pick one up, won't install it right away as I am low on cash, but I'll try to pick up some other parts too like rod's and pistons. I think he's asking around $600 for it.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

anybody got the part number for that crank. i might can get it cheaper
Old 03-29-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FogleMotorsports
anybody got the part number for that crank. i might can get it cheaper
I have not seen a post yet for the PN but call Art Kendrick at Henson Motors 1-800-530-Jeep he probably will get it for you.
Also post up if you can/want to distribute some! I would be very interested as the line with Art is long and I am at the the wrong end...

Quick Reply: more hemi bad news