Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, Hemi, Magnum, 4.7, 5.9

Dodge vs. GM trucks comparison, shopping...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same boat about a month ago. I was looking basically at the Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab, Toyota Tundra Double Cab TRD Sport, and then GM 1500 Ext. Cab with either 5.3 or 6.2 (6.2 preferably)

To be honest, I really liked the Tundra, that 5.7 liter is a damn beast. But Toyota is crazy, rebates were almost non-existent and they wanted to knock about $1K off of a truck and acted like they were doing me a favor.

I was leaning toward the Ram Hemi. Still think they are the best looking of the bunch. The hemi is damn nice, plenty of power in stock form. i think they're MPG ratings a probably not as good as they lay claim to. My buddy just bought a 4x4 crew cab and he's getting 13-14 mpg on good days.
Two reasons I didn't buy Ram: I couldn't find any of the Express package trucks locally with all the necessary equipment I wanted, and the dealers were less than interested in bringing one in from another dealer. And two, the express package trucks, were really sparsely equipped in the interior. Would have loved to get a sport model, just couldn't afford one.

I was dead set on a 6.2 2wd Ext. Cab GM, had a dealer try to get several for me from other dealers, they either kept selling just before we made the deal or the other dealership would not turn loose of it. The 6.2's are pretty hard to come by.

I wound up buying a 2012 Ext. Cab Silverado 2wd Z71 with the 5.3 liter/6-speed. I will say that yes, originally I was enticed by the 6.2/hemi/5.7 tundra and all, before driving the newer 5.3/6-speed combo. I've had plenty of 5.3's in the past, and was coming from a fairly potent little 4.8 liter RCSB. This 5.3 has plenty of power, I was actually quite surprised by it and have been. Once I get a tune on it, I'm sure it will be a decent runner. I'm glad I went GM, all in all, I know the trucks, my last one was the most dependable truck i've ever owned so there was definitely a comfort factor involved.

for what its worth, and not to start a pissing match. Check out some of the Ram forums. I know all trucks have their issues and GM is no different. But on some of the Ram sites, seems like there is an unusually large number of complaints and issues with some of their trucks. The most common issues seemed to be faulty torque converters and extremely thin paint, but there were others. Again, I'm sure compared to the number of trucks sold, the issues are not common, but it was enough to sway me in my decision slightly.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:28 AM

Ive had far fewer issues overall with GM vs Dodge. GM halfton suspensions suck for towing but ride is smoother and better mileage.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLACKND
I was in the same boat about a month ago. I was looking basically at the Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab, Toyota Tundra Double Cab TRD Sport, and then GM 1500 Ext. Cab with either 5.3 or 6.2 (6.2 preferably)

To be honest, I really liked the Tundra, that 5.7 liter is a damn beast. But Toyota is crazy, rebates were almost non-existent and they wanted to knock about $1K off of a truck and acted like they were doing me a favor.

I was leaning toward the Ram Hemi. Still think they are the best looking of the bunch. The hemi is damn nice, plenty of power in stock form. i think they're MPG ratings a probably not as good as they lay claim to. My buddy just bought a 4x4 crew cab and he's getting 13-14 mpg on good days.
Two reasons I didn't buy Ram: I couldn't find any of the Express package trucks locally with all the necessary equipment I wanted, and the dealers were less than interested in bringing one in from another dealer. And two, the express package trucks, were really sparsely equipped in the interior. Would have loved to get a sport model, just couldn't afford one.

I was dead set on a 6.2 2wd Ext. Cab GM, had a dealer try to get several for me from other dealers, they either kept selling just before we made the deal or the other dealership would not turn loose of it. The 6.2's are pretty hard to come by.

I wound up buying a 2012 Ext. Cab Silverado 2wd Z71 with the 5.3 liter/6-speed. I will say that yes, originally I was enticed by the 6.2/hemi/5.7 tundra and all, before driving the newer 5.3/6-speed combo. I've had plenty of 5.3's in the past, and was coming from a fairly potent little 4.8 liter RCSB. This 5.3 has plenty of power, I was actually quite surprised by it and have been. Once I get a tune on it, I'm sure it will be a decent runner. I'm glad I went GM, all in all, I know the trucks, my last one was the most dependable truck i've ever owned so there was definitely a comfort factor involved.

for what its worth, and not to start a pissing match. Check out some of the Ram forums. I know all trucks have their issues and GM is no different. But on some of the Ram sites, seems like there is an unusually large number of complaints and issues with some of their trucks. The most common issues seemed to be faulty torque converters and extremely thin paint, but there were others. Again, I'm sure compared to the number of trucks sold, the issues are not common, but it was enough to sway me in my decision slightly.
the reason the paint is so thin is beacsue its water based. all new trucks chip easy. should of seen my nnbs after a year of highway driving even with mud flaps the rockers door and box got all fucked up
Old 06-09-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GM and Ram transmissions suck stock. Unless its a 4L80e or 6L80e...

Yeah you can make a Ram fast but it cost more and will run slower then a GM with the same amount of money into it.

GM just has the market as far as performance part availability and support. Rams have come along way but they have to many limitations.

Will say this for Rams, there differentials are stout stock compared to GM. The heads flow like crazy but are limited do to p2v clearance so cams are usually smaller, goes both ways though since the heads flow so well they don't need as large of a cam. The intake manifold does give out and stops making power around 5.8K

Then again I did make a N/A stock block QC Ram run 12.66 in a 1330 DA so you can make em fast. Not many crew cab or extended cab GM 5.3's or 6.0's run that N/A...

Now I have a 454 LSX RCSB and a LQ9 ECSB... couldn't take trashing built transmissions in the Ram...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know this thread is 2 years old? haha

but for another 2 cents that are pretty late. The GMs were coming with a peice o crap 4L60E. But atleast GM has the option to go 4L80E with very little work.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I know, bored on the forums.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

I know this is an old thread but if you're still looking at a RAM, then watch. Its a Rumble bee that originally had the 5.7 and was running 8.10 in the 1/8th mile with bolt one, cam, gears, etc and 125 shot. swapped to a 392 Stroker wih forged internals, yada yada yada, and 125 shot is now running 7.91 in the 1/8th at 550+ HP before the nitrous. To me, the HEMI's can be beastly. But at a cost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNn5WzItvsY&nomobile=1
Old 08-14-2013, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Dumpelbee's are turds. LS engines are by far the best. You want a good looking great running truck get a gm.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:06 AM
On The Tree

"Dumplebees" may be turds stock, but this one isn't. All in all, stock hemis in trucks are dogs. I drove my buddies stock 03 hemi on a little trip... Never missed driving my 5.3 so much.

One thing I've noticed though is how in the hell does the exhaust escape through those stock manifolds on hemis?!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:40 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Im bored too...lol Honestly any option other than Ford is going to be a decent choice. GM has the aftermarket and no tuning issues, but Dodge has more crank HP. It honestly lies on the buyer, find wht appeals to youe eye, and walet before all else. I love my Ram personally but I like GM too...guess im a hybrid.