Dodge q's

Old 02-10-2014, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge q's

I currently have an 04 Z71 with 5.3. It drives great, and pulls "ok". Ive been wanting a 2500 5.9 cummins. The dodge would still do as good as my current truck mileage wise, and may even do better. Also, when Im dragging my goose neck trailer with my 2 horses in it my 5.3 downshifts pretty hard on hills. The dodge would do better when towing hands down. What is a good year to look for, and what is "ideal" miles when buying used? I dont really plan on upgrading for performance, but might do an exhaust, air intake, and tune. My current chevy gets 15-15.5 mpg every day (30 miles one way to work), and drops to 13-14 when towing regardless of the load. Ive got a friend thats trying to talk me into a 6.7 cummins, but that is overkill for my needs. Ive read that either 06 or 07 was the last "good" year to get a 5.9 because of all the emissions crap. Can anyone help me with that? Also, are there two different models of the 5.9? Anything will be appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z71FarmTag
I currently have an 04 Z71 with 5.3. It drives great, and pulls "ok". Ive been wanting a 2500 5.9 cummins. The dodge would still do as good as my current truck mileage wise, and may even do better. Also, when Im dragging my goose neck trailer with my 2 horses in it my 5.3 downshifts pretty hard on hills. The dodge would do better when towing hands down. What is a good year to look for, and what is "ideal" miles when buying used? I dont really plan on upgrading for performance, but might do an exhaust, air intake, and tune. My current chevy gets 15-15.5 mpg every day (30 miles one way to work), and drops to 13-14 when towing regardless of the load. Ive got a friend thats trying to talk me into a 6.7 cummins, but that is overkill for my needs. Ive read that either 06 or 07 was the last "good" year to get a 5.9 because of all the emissions crap. Can anyone help me with that? Also, are there two different models of the 5.9? Anything will be appreciated, thanks.
Well if i were you i would go with an 94-98 12v cummins. I know they are a little "old" already but they are great trucks. The 03+ cummins are known for a lot of failures. I know from experience. When going with a 12 valve you have lots of room to grow for power. Just do a exhaust, intake, and some fine tuning on the fuel pump and they are really powerful considering you havent spent a lot of money.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this reply is as late as it is. But my info may help others with the same Q's.

My '96 5.9 12V easily gets 20mpg at 70mph. And its a auto dually with 3.55 gears. I towed a 3 ton trailer for several years and 150k mi. I now have 260k mi., still at least 20mpg and dont see the oil level move on the stick between oil changes.

Can i replace my truck? Not a chance! Nothing newer or older will do that. Only thing that would kill it is a crash or a killer dowel pin.