Cummins or Duramax???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a 07 classic Dmax, 07 5.9 Cummins Megacab, 08 6.7 Cummins Megacab. and a 02 7.3 Excursion ( )

We have these 18' Tandem axle box trailers we pull goin to job sites.

The 5.9 cummins with the 4 speed sucks donkey ***** pulling it. Goin 70mph and want to pass somebody, forget it. It wont even unlock the converter. Put the pedal to the floor and its like nothing happened. We hate that truck so much. and its soo uncomfortable.

the 6.7 cummins is my boss's ride. he likes the megacabs.. but he gets horrible mileage even with the 6speed..

the 07 classic Dmax is nice. allison makes easy works of the trailer. rides great, gets alot better mileage towing than the cummins. the 5.9 gets 22mpg unloaded as the GMC gets 21unloaded (but has a uncalibrated Speedo) EFI live will take care of that soon enough

I dont see why everybody says the 5.9 has alot of power? it sucks bad compared to the Dmax.
We are talkin bone stock.. Mods dont count. pulling the trailers its scary tryin to get into traffic cause it wont get out of its own way.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both and old 12v cummins and an 07' LBZ. I gotta say the Dmax is one nice pulling truck with the Allison. It pulls 8k like its not even there. No downshifting needed in the texas hillcountry even.

But for all out abuse and being worked you can not beat a 12v cummins. This thing is a beast with over 900lbs. tq. and pulls like a dream. The highest my EGT's go pulling in 5th at WOT passing is about 1200*. Still well into the safe zone. Unloaded it gets 27mpg, loaded it gets 18-19 depending on how much wind I catch.

Its really a hard choice though. Cummins are proven work horses that can make alot of power. Dmax can make alot of power also but its not yet proven in the long run. I do know chevy thucks hold up over the years and the Allison is a great tranny. Really either way you wont be disapointed.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The unlocking of the converter is very true about the dodge. But their is a simple switch you can wire into your comp(I think) that you can manually unlock. Have read about it but no need to do it for me. Also a programmer helps tremendously in that 70mph range where you say it wont get out of its own way.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Teching In

It's more than just Cummins vs Duramax; it's the whole package. I was in the market for a new truck and it took me close to year to decide what I wanted. It was between a Duramax Crew Cab or Cummins Mega Cab. I researched the top trim levels, LTZ and Laramie. You really have to know what you plan to do with and do to the truck. I ended up with Dodge. I'll use the truck for long trips(4 persons), county yard work(not quite farm work), boat hualing, and some light off roading(mostly the beach). I knew I was going to lift the truck also. Keeping these in mind here's how I mad the decision.

Engine:
Both have great power and meet my needs. But the Cummins feels so much better to me. It seems the Cummins croud also puts way more miles on their engines; I still think realibility on both meet my needs. I'm jealous of the allison but the 6 speed auto from Dodge is impressive. Good gear ratios and smooth. Only has 3yr/36K warranty though; WTF.

Trim Options:
I'm a chevy guy and own a LTZ trim vehicle. Features like auto lights, auto wipers, memory seats and mirrors, dimming side mirrors don't exists on the Laramie trim. Not a big deal but for $50k msrp; come on.

Cab:
I got a Mega Cab. Not a fair comparison; the crew cab is tiny.

Frame and Suspension:
Another big selling point over the cab size is how solid the Dodge is. Live axle in the front. Cheaper to lift and stronger. I'm not a big fan of IFS on a heavy duty truck. This truck feels like a tank. I'll be suprised if I break anything. This does make for a rougher ride but it's an HD truck.

Looks:
Styling didn't have much influence. I like both GM and Dodge but the Dodge has a much larger stance. Makes GM trucks look and feel small; even when comparing same cab levels.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Either would pull a 24ft enclosed trailer with ease. Hell my buddy pulls a 28ft with his 1/2 Ram with a Hemi and he has no problems.

Personally since its that small I would just get a 1/2 ton Ram with a Hemi if you dont pull all the time. If you do get what diesel you like the best from the drivers seat. Duramax and Cummins will pull a 24ft trailer without any problems.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:01 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK85
Either would pull a 24ft enclosed trailer with ease. Hell my buddy pulls a 28ft with his 1/2 Ram with a Hemi and he has no problems.

Personally since its that small I would just get a 1/2 ton Ram with a Hemi if you dont pull all the time. If you do get what diesel you like the best from the drivers seat. Duramax and Cummins will pull a 24ft trailer without any problems.
what do lengths have to do with weight???
Old 10-30-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

on my uncles farm in Winsconsin we have an 04 dodge and an 05 or 06 chevy, both 3/4 ton reg cab long bed 4x4 diesel auto with ranchhands front and rear...they also have a 97 powerstroke with the same set up but its ext cab, they all do the job great, last time I was up there was about 2 years ago, anyway last I heard the chevy had to have the all new tie rods and ball joints after about 80k, the dodge is at about 120 or so (guessing last time I was there it was around 85k) the chevy was definately nicer for towing around the hills but out on the pasture the dodge was easier to pull the trailers with if had rained recently.

Honestly for farm work the dodge was better with the higher ground clearance but around town the chevy was a lot better especially that tranny. Anymore you cant lose with either of the trucks or the powerstroke, they all have great drivetrains full of potential, and there are plenty of arguements to say one is better than the other
Old 11-12-2008, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dragframe
what do lengths have to do with weight???
Well the OP was asking about a 24ft trailer with his Race Car in it. So thats why I brought that into it. My buddy with the 28ft trailer has a race car in his too. And thats with a 1/2 ton Ram. His trailer is around 10,000lbs.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And typically. the longer the trailer is, the more it weighs.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by viciousknid
And typically. the longer the trailer is, the more it weighs.
Yep I forgot the obvious. haha

Quick Reply: Cummins or Duramax???