Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

Question regarding water in transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding water in transmission

I know I cant save the transmission without a rebuild it's a 4l60e in a 95 jimmy and it was already replaced in 2008 simply is not worth the cost to do it again.

I've drained the pan once (broke the 3-2 shift solenoid and replaced it with the wrong so will be doing it again (was told not to waste money on having the entire system flushed) since it might cause more damage not that I can afford it anyway

My question is how long does it generally take for the transmission to crap out once it gets water in it. and is it guaranteed failure. I only drive 2-3 miles per day

Also I am under the impression that the gears will begin to slip before I get stranded on the side of the road, is this true ? (would love the warning of impending doom)

Not exactly sure how much water got in as the truck sat in 3ft of water for roughly 2 hours and I don't think it entered through the pan as it never leaked fluid.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If water got in it, it's done. Water will cause the clutch lining to separate and come apart. No good...
Old 03-01-2017, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Question is, do you see any evidence of water actually in it? You'll notice it in the fluid...especially if you've started it since it sat in the water.

Agreed that if water did get in there, it's done.

Richard
Old 03-01-2017, 01:31 PM

Yes there is evidence of water in the transmission as the fluid now looks like a strawberry milkshake. And as I pointed out I know the transmission will eventually fail because of it. I was just asking how long it generally takes because it hasnt failed yet. (2 weeks later) even though i've only put about 30 miles on it since it came in contact with the water
Old 03-01-2017, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Best thing to do would be to drop the pan, chnage the fluid and filter and see what it looks like, put more fluid in it and run it. The trans is most likely done, however there is no recipe or crystal ball for being able to tell you its going to last exactly 6 months 4 days 3 hours, 52 minutes and 45 seconds.... or however long it will last! Getting as much of the water out as possible will help though. Where are you that it sat in 3 feet of water?

Last edited by Wolftrk99; 03-01-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:24 AM

Northern California, there was a flash flood outside my work place and I was the only 4x4 that didn't make it out/ instead ended up hydrolocking the block when water made it's way into the air intake but that was an easy fix by pulling the plugs to force water out then a back to back oil change.

Didnt realize their was water in the transmission until after it had a chance to circulate via driving a few miles.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

My suggestion is drop pan after it has sat for a little while the water and trans fluid should separate, it is probably a futile effort, but changing trans fluid a few times and hoping to make it live a few more months is a helluva lot less expensive than rebuildingit!!
Old 03-02-2017, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
My suggestion is drop pan after it has sat for a little while the water and trans fluid should separate, it is probably a futile effort, but changing trans fluid a few times and hoping to make it live a few more months is a helluva lot less expensive than rebuildingit!!
I've actually considered this but water is apparently heavier than the transmission fluid (tested it) thus it sinks to the bottom once it separates thus the fluid will always be pushed out instead of the water even if I were to evacuate the entire system by setting up a drain system to the coolant outflow but even then I would want the fluid/water well mixed so the water doesn;t just sit in the lowest bits of the system.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Running it in neutral with the parking brake applied while you run the cooling line into a bucket and feeding it fresh fluid...should get you the best possible result. You already know it's probably a shot in the dark, but surely it's worth a try.

I don't think I need to tell you that you dodged a freaking bullet that your engine isn't toast. Hydrolocking can often bend rods or cause other serious damage.

Considering it sounds like the truck was inundated, don't overlook your differentials, power steering, and brake fluid...

Richard
Old 03-02-2017, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ryan Hampshire
I've actually considered this but water is apparently heavier than the transmission fluid (tested it) thus it sinks to the bottom once it separates thus the fluid will always be pushed out instead of the water even if I were to evacuate the entire system by setting up a drain system to the coolant outflow but even then I would want the fluid/water well mixed so the water doesn;t just sit in the lowest bits of the system.
Agreed water is heavier, and thinking is if its separated and you drop the pan it should be full of mostly water, in theory anyway, other option is as has been mentioned flush the system through the cooler lines....