Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

91 454ss looking for suspension advice

Old 06-30-2014, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 454ss looking for suspension advice

Hey guys... New to the forum... Looking to get advice on a good setup for getting this big bitch to hook. My truck has the stock motor with only 225 rwhp but spins like crazy even with an easy launch... I'm going to be doing an ls swap... Mild ls2 with a 224/230 comp cam and bolt ons... Nitrous for the track... I'm looking to get info on rear suspension setup. I will be running mickey et streets 275/60 15. I would like to know what 4 link or ladder bar setups any of you guys have gone with... I don't want to waste my money on caltracs and various leaf spring stuff cuz my truck currently has Traction bars and a leaf lowering kit... It's not cutting it. slooww 60 foots. Please help... Any info will be appreciated. I've seen dragpacs 454 on this forum putting up serious times... I'd love to be able to squeeze into the upper 10's... I need to beat my brothers 2010 camaro. He has a 6spd and a 442 ls7 stroker... Please help a truck guy beat a sports car! Thanks!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

first off, you better **** can that stock motor or your just pissin in the wind...... ask me how i know!! lol

i run adjustable rear bars on mine with a c-notch and axle flip with a -4 pinion angle and it hooks like crazy on 275-60-15 drag radials. thats with leaving around 2800rpm on foot brake on the nitrous tune of 601/695 to the tire

Jamie
Old 09-02-2014, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

BB90 your still running leafs then? As far as rear bars are you referring to traction bars like Cal-tracs or something similar or you running a custom bar? Id like to see some pics of it if ya don't mind.

Right now im running a 5.3 swap with a decent cam and heads milled .015" (basically for true) with an Edelbrock RPM air gap and Holley 750 double pumper, Trans is a home built 700R4 with detriot LSD and 3.73 rear gears and that's it as far as performance.

Anyway im gonna check my pinion angle to see where its at cause I got this truck the way it is and have tweaked to its point now(guy slapped it together and I guess couldn't get it to run right). First gear will blow em off and first of second, if I launch the truck with its stall it will roast till probly 30 mph or more.

My suspension is 3" drop coils in front with 2" hangers and 2" shackles in the rear running bilstein shocks, id rather run just spring drop in the rear but right now don't wanna notch. This brings me back to what bars your running, sorry to be long winded just trying to give yall a feel for where im at.

-Forgot to mention im about to step my rears out to a 275 just havnt done it yet though I thought the Posi would have solved my spinning issues.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usaf_hess
-Forgot to mention im about to step my rears out to a 275 just havnt done it yet though I thought the Posi would have solved my spinning issues.
Well what tires do you have? A good suspension setup is just part of the equation, another part would be tires.

Ex.) My BFG Radials didn't hook for ****, I could be doing 30 MPH and start a smoke show. My Cooper Cobras (same exact size) won't spin excessively once I'm at 15 MPH.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

The tires im running were on it when I got it and they are Dominator Sport SR4's in 255/70R15 they are very mild tires for sure dominator sport sr4 tires - Bing Images first few pics on that page), I had stepped out to 275s(IIRC could have been wider) before but the shop didn't tell me one had a slash in the sidewall and hid it on the inside. When I got out of the truck I heard a hissing and sure as **** went straight to a diff tire shop and had them pulled to find a big gash they tried patching on the sidewall and a tiny *** tube inside a tubeless tire(needless to say I was pissed, its what I get for trying to be cheap but they had 90% tread and looked otherwise fine).

Anyway the tires I posted on another thread are these which is what ill be running shortly in a 275 equivalent though im not sure of what mileage they will get- Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Radial Tires - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Anyway plan is to get that tire and see where I am at. As far as my suspension id rather not have that long shackle in the back cause I feel it gives too much movement possibility in the rear end though that's probly in my head. id like to run an axle flip with a notch but don't want to notch yet cause im too lazy but that will give me my 4" rear drop and if I want more just run a 1" hanger up front which I think is what ill do for a total of 5" rear drop.

The front I have DJM 3" coils but wish I had gone with the regular cab short bed V6 springs for that rebound and run an adjustable shock cause I don't want a loose front end on the street.

Last edited by usaf_hess; 09-03-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

I removed 2 leafs and added Lakewood traction bars and got 1.47 60'with a drag shock