Central & Northern ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, MN, IL, MO, IA, KY, OH, IN, MI, WI

Moving to Michigan - Is the Rust as Bad as I Think?

Old 08-04-2016, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah it wont be fun. We just don't know the area well enough and we don't know where my wife will find work to put up the money for a house......

I am putting AMSOil full synthetic in it before we leave so I won't have to change it again till the snow melts hopefully. As for my wife.....we are going to get her a lease so the dealership will take care of it all

Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
Yeah it wont be fun. We just don't know the area well enough and we don't know where my wife will find work to put up the money for a house......

I am putting AMSOil full synthetic in it before we leave so I won't have to change it again till the snow melts hopefully. As for my wife.....we are going to get her a lease so the dealership will take care of it all

Thanks again!
Pmed you
Old 09-18-2016, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't been on PT in a long, long time but saw this. Even tho it may be too late, I'll still give my thoughts.
Rust sucks here, I've lived here my whole life. It makes bolts hard(er) to remove, gets on that shitty factory frame wax, that's so thin it's useless. Peels off & surface rust where its bare but doesn't rust thru. I bought my 04 new & it has 140k on it. I used to wash it a great deal. But when it got hit, they put a used door from a 2001 on it. Since Idk the history of that door, besides its' age, it could've neglected. I'd assume so, since it's rusting on that door.
After bein hit, I didn't / don't wash it like b4. Even so, I don't think when the repaired, they took care of weld coating on rockers, so they're rusted but not rusted out (yet). From what I've seen, on most every truck from say 1999-2004, maybe up to 06, rockers are gone. Especially pre '03, only way rockers don't have rust out (holes) is if washed religiously, keep out of salt, pretty much garage kept or were replaced.
I would wash mine on the whole frame at carwash to preserve best I could.

Oh, know the cross braces that run an angle from frame to under motor?
Thin metal, broke into 2 pcs from rust.

Other than that, I've got no surface rust on the whole body.

Snow pretty much starts in Jan. About March, it's done, but on nice vehicle, I wouldn't pull it from storage til say Apr 7 - May. That gives the spring rains time to wash salt off the roads & from cracks / crevices.

W/o a garage, do your oil change just b4 Jan. that should take u thru the winter.

Cavity wax, I never knew of til now, might need to check it out to learn. Thanks for that 1FastBrick.