Central & Northern ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, MN, IL, MO, IA, KY, OH, IN, MI, WI

Moving to Michigan - Is the Rust as Bad as I Think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Moving to Michigan - Is the Rust as Bad as I Think?

Hey guys/gals,

Moving to Michigan the end of August and am worried about my truck with regard to rust. It is a 2002 and from what I can tell has no undercoating anywhere under the truck or in the wheel wells. For those of you that live up that way with older trucks......is the rust as bad as people from the South think? I am not as worried about my wife's car as it is a 2013 and has undercoating under the car and in the wheel wells. I am just on the fence about even taking my truck up there or not. Let me know what yall think. Thanks!!
Old 07-26-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

You mean the underside of the body or the frame?

The body never had coating on it from the factory.

Unfortunately yes it can be bad... Coat it with stuff now and save yourself the headache and heartache down the road.

Or keep the truck but retire it from DD.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:36 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Lets just say the rust belt has the highest vehicle lease rate in the nation... I've been fortunate enough not to have to drive any of my vehicles in the salt, but they take a beating here if you use them as commuters. Anything 2000 and older has holes in the body.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Anything 2000 and older has holes in the body.
I rarely see anything on the road older than 2000 around here, they are all rotted out. I'm always amazed travelling down to Florida and seeing 20-30 year old cars with faded factory paint and no rust.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would behoove you to find a winter beater for the time you live up there.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As long as you wash your and test your underside, you will be fine. It's most important to do this after a heavy rain or driving through snow. We put salt on the roads wherever accumulated some fall reaches 4 inches and doesn't melt. The lower the temperature, the less salt effectiveness has. My vehicles don't have rust and they are daily drivers.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
You mean the underside of the body or the frame?

The body never had coating on it from the factory.

Unfortunately yes it can be bad... Coat it with stuff now and save yourself the headache and heartache down the road.

Or keep the truck but retire it from DD.
Do you have experience with a particular kind or brand of undercoating that you would recommend? From the research I have done many people don't recommend putting it on older vehicles because there is simply not way to get the underside completely contaminant free for the undercoating to apply and seal properly. What are your thoughts?

So the general consensus is everyone that lives up there with a moded truck/car just keep them in the garage all winter and drive them during the summer months? If that is the case then I probably won't take my truck up until we have a house with a garage.......
Old 07-27-2016, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ******* hate this iPhone. Nothing I typed about was proper English. All that **** was broken....

Anyways .....some people do, some people don't. We don't get snow until like mid to late November. They are saying if you don't have an undercoating, buy a beater to drive around during the winter months then garage it and drive your modded vehicle when there isn't snow on the ground
Old 07-27-2016, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
Do you have experience with a particular kind or brand of undercoating that you would recommend?
Krown or Fluid Film. I had my truck sprayed with fluid film last fall.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Feed
Krown or Fluid Film. I had my truck sprayed with fluid film last fall.
Thanks for the recommendations! How did the fluid film hold up? How often do you have to have it applied and how much was it if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Moving to Michigan - Is the Rust as Bad as I Think?