Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nanaimo
Old 10-22-2014, 11:15 AM

Default B.c.

I'm from Victoria. I have a 97 C1500 with a reworked LQ9 6.0 Litre, oversized pistons by .030, 10.5:1, Compcams 238 duration, .605 lift, bigger stainless valves, springs, trunion upgrade, balanced, Shoenfeld long tube headers, 39# injectors and tuned by BlackBear Performance.
I drag the truck in street class and get about 13.64 sec. 1/4 mile times.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Kamloops. New to the forum. Been creeping as a guest for a while, but am now doing an LQ4 build and this seems to be the only place I can get used parts and decent info. Wreckers here are a joke, but I think I found a good machine shop yesterday!!
Old 11-15-2015, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

In from kamloops too, Canadamatt I know what you mean about wreckers around here, the times I've had to use any of them in the thompson okanagan area all I can do is shake my head and cry. I have a lq4 that I got from a construction company truck that has like a million miles on it(i did make my money back on selling parts from the donor truck) what machine shop are you using? I've used one for a bunch of different projects that has allways been good to me. If your looking for something, I've been in the parts industry for a long time in the area I might know somebody or something, if you need let me know
Old 11-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Hey db caissie, I used valley speed. They machined the block, put in the new cam bearings, polished the crank, etc. I bought some ls3 heads (rectangle port) and I got them to mill them down 0.03" to increase the compression ratio. The heads were used and one of exhaust valves was bad so they replaced that and set all stem heights. Total for everything was about $1000. Not cheap, but they do good work.
I still need a ton of stuff:
The whole valvetrain - Cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers.
A 4-bolt (ls3 style) CABLE driven throttle body.
A rebuild kit - top and bottom end gaskets
A high pressure oil pump
New piston rings
Timing gear and chain
New harmonic balancer
Fuel injector harness adapter that will allow my harness (from a 2000 gmc) to work with the new fuel injectors from a new ls3 fuel rail.
And then a ton of other things I haven't even thought of yet.
When it's all done I'm going to take the 4.8 out of my 2000 reg cab step side and put this in.
Just waiting for more money! This ain't cheap! ...shoulda bought a crate engine..
I have a bit of a build album on my facebook if you wanna check it out. Thanks for replying to my post. I posted that in March and have had nothing until now.
What are you doing with your lq4? What year is it?
Matt Lloyd

Originally Posted by db caissie
In from kamloops too, Canadamatt I know what you mean about wreckers around here, the times I've had to use any of them in the thompson okanagan area all I can do is shake my head and cry. I have a lq4 that I got from a construction company truck that has like a million miles on it(i did make my money back on selling parts from the donor truck) what machine shop are you using? I've used one for a bunch of different projects that has allways been good to me. If your looking for something, I've been in the parts industry for a long time in the area I might know somebody or something, if you need let me know
Old 11-16-2015, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

right on, sounds like your on your way to some good power in that thing. a number of years ago I worked for a parts store that was a lordco affiliate, I was allways beating up on them with pricing. I did actually just leave a hd parts supplier that does have access to all the usual automotive replace/repair parts, and still remain good freinds with them. I'm sure I can get a good deal on that stuff, just not the performance stuff. The last few years I've been doing a lot of ordering from jegs, but the dollar has put a damper on that lately. I think I acctually have some adaptors for the fuel injectors, to go from the small square plug to the larger roundish ev6 injector, i think thats what the newer ls3 injectors are called, If you want them you can have them.
I have a 79 c10 with around a 6front 8rear drop. the lq4 came from a 2000 2500hd work truck that had a cooked t-case, i think i remember something like 360ish on the odo when I stripped it. havn't done anything to it, just headers. I have a well built 700r4with a 3000stall convertor and 3.73 gears. don't have it on the road yet, should be in the spring.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

sorry I don't have facebook, I'm anti social media. are you driving your truck currently? I may have seen it around. You may have seen my daily driver around, I only drive it in the summer,white 97 c1500 standard cab long bed 5/7 drop with 17's. not on the road right now.
also if the time comes when your ready, you'll need a tune in that thing for sure with the different combo, I've used blackbear performance once before, and I have efi live.
we might have to meet up some time.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Teching In

db caissie, I'm stoked that I finally found someone local that speaks my language!! you're not the one who lives over by Chevron in valleyview, are you? There's a dropped white chev parked there sometimes and a vette too...I thought the pick-up was older than 97 tho..
Mines a black reg cab step side, 5 speed manual, lowered 3/4 with some pretty noticeable camber in the front. Long-tube headers with cat delete so it sounds pretty beafy. I'm driving it year round right now.
I also use blackbear. I've had 2 tunes with them now - once when it was stock and then a re-tune when I put the headers on. Free re-tunes for life as long as it's the same engine family! gotta love that.
We definitely have to meet up some time.
My plan was to order all the rest of what I needed from Summit but, like you, the dollar hasn't made that ideal. My parents spend the winter in Arizona so I might get some stuff shipped to them...save on some fees as they can bring a certain amount back without paying duty. I've priced it all out and it looks like I need about $4000 CAD worth of stuff (if ordered and had shipped to me from summit) to finish the engine, but i'm on like a $1500 budget so ANY help I can get along the way is really appreciated.
Are you rebuilding the 6L before you put it in your c10, or just dropping it in?
It was from a 2000 so it had iron heads? Mine too, and apparently the crank is a different length only on the 2000 model where it attaches to the flex plate or flywheel. Was longer i think, can't remember, but there is an issue if you're trying to bolt it to a tranny from any other year of the 3rd gen LS engines. you know about this? Is that an issue with the 700r4 as well??
My truck is a 2000 so I'm hoping the lq4 will bolt directly to the 5 speed in it. I'm assuming the 4.8 that's in it right now has the same length crank flange, since it is from 2000 also.
Attached Thumbnails Bc-img_4010.jpg  
Old 11-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

nope not me, I live in Rayleigh, thats funny though cause I did have a vette in my driveway for a while that I just painted for my neighbor in the spring. I know what you mean with the budget, thats more then I've got avail to me right now. the more I think of it this may have been a 2001, it has aluminum heads. It's allready in the truck actually. From what I believe the lq4 and lq9 have a longer rear flange on the crank, should bolt right up in place of earlier generation smallblocks. I'm not familiar with manual trans stuff but for 5.3/4.8 to be used on any of the automatics all that is required is a spacer sleeve so the convertor snout will be piloted on the crank, and some spacers for the flexplate bolts.
I just bolted it in as is without a rebuild, cold piston slapping and everything! We'll see how it goes in the spring, i have FAST ez efi 2.0 on it, I haven't driven it at all to get any of the learning parameters done yet.
maybe I can help you out in the spring, I'm currently not working at the moment (that puts a damper on the budget too!) But if you want I can send a list of some stuff to my friends at my old work and see what we could do for pricing.
Attached Thumbnails Bc-drag-racing-009.jpg   Bc-jan2014-028.jpg  
Old 11-17-2015, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Yeah I think most of my plans are going to wait until spring too. At least until after Christmas...
I've already spent so much more than I had planned to. Cost of tools has been a significant factor as I didn't have much before I started this project.
I would love to get some better prices on things, so if you have an option to help with that, it would be great. I think the only things I can justify at the moment though would be a bottom end rebuild kit, new rings, and a head gasket. Oh yeah, I wanted to get ARP head bolts too...what are your thoughts on ARP vs OEM ones? worth the extra money? Do your friends have access to those? With those things at least I would be able to spend the winter in my garage getting the engine put back together. The bigger purchases like valvetrain and throttle body can wait till spring. Wanna see what they could do for pricing?