BBQ, FOOD, RECIPES, DRINKS, & PARAPHERNALIA A place to share your favorite recipes, grills, stoves, sporks, and whatever else feeds our need to make our belly feel good.

Steaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steaks

How you guys marinate your steaks? I use italian dressing & butter and sometimes don's marinate, but its really hard to find sometimes..
Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lots of peppers and spices + salt... otherwise it's too bland. I think it should have an interestin zesty taste
Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I usually just use salt and pepper. Mom has an interesting prep for hers though. She rubs dijon mustard on both sides and let's them marinate in a small amount of worcestershire sauce.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've made my own dry rub for my steaks. A little crushed garlic, onion powder, crushed red and black pepper and a few other spices as far as a liquid marinade goes, plain Italian dressing with some of my rub mixed in, but if you buy the right steak you rarely ever need a soak type marinade unless you're going for a certain style of flavor IMO
Old 05-23-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it coming guys I love steak but I'm mexican we tend to stick to thin cuts . But I would really like to learn how to cook a good steak .......
Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Cooking tri-tip correctly isn't easy either.

Really, they key to cooking a good steak is picking a good steak. It just depends on what you like mostly, I am really partial to a ribeye but some swear by the sirloin lol, I like a filet too but honestly to me, if it's cut and aged properly a ribeye is still better. You want it thick enough that it'll cook right and not too quickly but not too thin so you can keep the flavor and juices without burning the crap out of it. That depends on your fire too. I prefer mine medium rare. My wife likes hers well done but I can't bring myself to eat one cooked like that... I just like the flavor of a med-rare steak.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Cooking tri-tip correctly isn't easy either.

Really, they key to cooking a good steak is picking a good steak. It just depends on what you like mostly, I am really partial to a ribeye but some swear by the sirloin lol, I like a filet too but honestly to me, if it's cut and aged properly a ribeye is still better. You want it thick enough that it'll cook right and not too quickly but not too thin so you can keep the flavor and juices without burning the crap out of it. That depends on your fire too. I prefer mine medium rare. My wife likes hers well done but I can't bring myself to eat one cooked like that... I just like the flavor of a med-rare steak.
True ^^ you can't go to Walmart & buy a good steak. I use to like my steaks well done, but it was to hard to find a place that could cook them right AL'Ts in Winnie Texas had the best well done steaks ive ever tasted. So I switch to medium well or cooked the best way you know how I've got some buddy's that work off shore & they get some of the best steaks for being vacuum packed..
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I'm fairly simple when it comes to preppin mine. I use weber steak sesoning smear it in real good then layer with jack daniels bbq marinate for awhile then soak it in westershiors (spelling suks) sauce then cook on a good grill. Gas or charcole don't matter as long as its got leftover grease from the last time hahaha
Quick and easy and enjoyable
Old 05-24-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mhotrodscooter
True ^^ you can't go to Walmart & buy a good steak. I use to like my steaks well done, but it was to hard to find a place that could cook them right AL'Ts in Winnie Texas had the best well done steaks ive ever tasted. So I switch to medium well or cooked the best way you know how I've got some buddy's that work off shore & they get some of the best steaks for being vacuum packed..
AL T's is good stuff.

I usually do a dry rub.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Depends on what I'm feeling. Sometimes I season it with an authentic carne asada seasoning. If I'm feeling American lol I use Santa Maria Seasoning or do a Ruth's Chris which is smearing the steak with butter, putting parsley, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and lemon juice. Of course all this over a charcoal bbq.

Quick Reply: Steaks