Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

VVT or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VVT or no?

How can I tell if my '10 Suburban 2500 6.0L has VVT or any of the other useless stuff on it? I want to do a cam swap but need to know if I need delete kits for that stuff or not.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Look on the timing cover below the water pump.

There will be be a large hump in it with a wire connector for the VVT.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Teching In

With a cam swap do I need to worry about active fuel management too or just if it has VVT? I know it isn't a displacement on demand vehicle because that isn't offered on the 2500 vehicles.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Just vvt, on l96 engines which is more than likely what you have, easiest way to tell is look at the valley cover below the intake if its smooth non afm if it looks like a worm burrowed through it its afm.... Just out of curiosity, why you wanna get rid of the vvt??? As a side note and warning be sure to check the cam bearing when you pull the cam.... Gen iv blocks are known for wiping cam bearings, gm has a tsb on them and an updated coated bearing....
Old 06-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Ok so I'm editing this post after a little more looking around. I didn't realize that there were VVT compatible cams out there. If this is the case then I need to be looking at those. I do need to know what is the best way to swap a can with VVT to maximize both then.

Last edited by Haulinbass02; 06-03-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Vvt cam with a phase limiter....and a good tune, cam swap with vvt is basically the same as without, just have a bigger fancier cam sprocket.... And you will need a good set of dual springs..... I have a gpi vvt cam that is speced at something like 216/235 .603/.586 116+10.... Basically same as the ls3 stage 2 cam i have in my 99 with more lsa and advance.....
Old 06-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Vvt cam with a phase limiter....and a good tune, cam swap with vvt is basically the same as without, just have a bigger fancier cam sprocket.... And you will need a good set of dual springs..... I have a gpi vvt cam that is speced at something like 216/235 .603/.586 116+10.... Basically same as the ls3 stage 2 cam i have in my 99 with more lsa and advance.....
Have to school me on the phase limiter. What is it and is it a tuning thing, sensor thing or mechanical thing?
Old 06-04-2016, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes.... The cam shaft actuator has an operating range of something like 50-54 degrees of retard, the limiter modifies the actuator to only allow either 20 or 22 degrees to prevent piston to valve contact, unfortunately you need to crack it open and find out which phaser you have (there are two different ones) and the cam needs to be matched to it as well as the limiter kit.... If they arent matched you will end up losing low end torque and there was another issue i cant remember but it wont perform the way it should.... The tune will have to be modified all around as far as the limiter goes as well.... Basically telling the pcm the cam cant swing as far as it used to.... Also make sure you get a new valve(cam bolt for vvt) they are single use torque to yeild and keep the pressure right at the actuator....
Old 06-04-2016, 07:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Yes.... The cam shaft actuator has an operating range of something like 50-54 degrees of retard, the limiter modifies the actuator to only allow either 20 or 22 degrees to prevent piston to valve contact, unfortunately you need to crack it open and find out which phaser you have (there are two different ones) and the cam needs to be matched to it as well as the limiter kit.... If they arent matched you will end up losing low end torque and there was another issue i cant remember but it wont perform the way it should.... The tune will have to be modified all around as far as the limiter goes as well.... Basically telling the pcm the cam cant swing as far as it used to.... Also make sure you get a new valve(cam bolt for vvt) they are single use torque to yeild and keep the pressure right at the actuator....
I did some looking and saw that GM used a phaser that did something like 54 degrees and one that did only 40 something degrees? I've only seen a Comp Cams phaser limiter, are there others out there? And if I'm reading you correct I have to choose my can based on which factory phaser I have?
Old 06-04-2016, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes they use a different cam actuator based on the cam core.... Limiters are actuator/phaser specific as well

Quick Reply: VVT or no?