Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Two-piece to Single Piece Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two-piece to Single Piece Driveshaft

Any one here do the two piece to single piece driveshaft conversion? I've searched all over and nothing really gives me a good answer. I have 2001 GMC 2500 HD CCSB, afetr my lift I get that same old shudder in the driveshaft and all the stop-and-go traffic in College Station is making it worse, wanting to swap to the single piece. Can I just go to a junkyard and pull a driveshaft out of a new rig or is it not that easy?
Old 09-27-2014, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im not sure if u can do the junkyard thing. I think u may screw up ny goin 1pc tho. U may need to replace the ujoints or even the carrier bearing/center support. I have a 1pc aluminum drive shaft and it vibrates at 85mph. Im goin 2pc next week. I just ordered it yesterday. The newer drive shafts are only rated for 100mph. After I changed my 3.08 gears to 4.11s i had the vibration. I really think its probably the carrier bearing or the u joints in your case. U may need to get ur d/s balance. I had a 03 ccsb 4x4 with a 4l80. I had the same problem. I changed all ujoints and carrier. Good to go.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jason Z69
Im not sure if u can do the junkyard thing. I think u may screw up ny goin 1pc tho. U may need to replace the ujoints or even the carrier bearing/center support. I have a 1pc aluminum drive shaft and it vibrates at 85mph. Im goin 2pc next week. I just ordered it yesterday. The newer drive shafts are only rated for 100mph. After I changed my 3.08 gears to 4.11s i had the vibration. I really think its probably the carrier bearing or the u joints in your case. U may need to get ur d/s balance. I had a 03 ccsb 4x4 with a 4l80. I had the same problem. I changed all ujoints and carrier. Good to go.
I just swapped carrier bearing out about 1,000 miles ago. Had the professionamals do it too 'cause I didn't feel like building a puller to use on the press. It only shudders when I'm at a stop. From 5-125 it's as smooth as can be. I've seen kits to drop that center support down for lifted trucks so I'm wondering if my lift causes it? I never noticed it before. Needed traction bars bad though, it was crazy how much wrap I had after the lift. So I may look into that little drop kit and see how to fabricate my own. I figured a single piece was more efficient than a two piece but I guess not.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:21 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You may need to install a spacer for the support bearing. I'd recommend measuring the operating angles of all the u-joints, and go from there. May also need to use shims to change your pinion angle. And of course you need to make sure all of your u-joints are okay.

How big is the lift kit?
Old 09-28-2014, 02:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
You may need to install a spacer for the support bearing. I'd recommend measuring the operating angles of all the u-joints, and go from there. May also need to use shims to change your pinion angle. And of course you need to make sure all of your u-joints are okay.

How big is the lift kit?
Just a 6" Pro Comp lift, but it's only 4" blocks in the back so I'm not quite sure how it's 6" of lift in the back. I guess if it's just to steep of an angle it's gonna shutter right there until it's smoothed out and into a constant movement. It's not too bad with the trac. bars on but still shutters a bit, and it's about to get quite a bit more power thrown at it so if the two piece was a weak link I wanted to get it out of the way and throw a single piece on.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:27 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your angles are set up properly, the 2 piece shaft is stronger than a 1 piece shaft.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
If your angles are set up properly, the 2 piece shaft is stronger than a 1 piece shaft.
How is the two-piece stronger? Not doubting you by any means, just figured that center support is a weak link.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Just because its new doesnt mean its any good. Just replaced a "new" carrier bearing in less than 400 miles.....cured the problem though.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cjcullom
Just because its new doesnt mean its any good. Just replaced a "new" carrier bearing in less than 400 miles.....cured the problem though.
It was shuttering way before my "new" carrier bearing. That's not the problem. I've had the problem ever since the lift. I only replaced the carrier bearing because the rubber that surrounds it and holds it in place has been longgggg gone.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Two piece is a lot stronger than a one piece. Long one pice shafts are known to breaking and having bad vibration issues

Quick Reply: Two-piece to Single Piece Driveshaft